Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Interesting Lake Erie Day - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-21-2020, 08:10 AM
Keeper

Kris,

Great video. I'm jealous because I only get to make a couple trips a year to Erie. One observation I had from your video was about your rod holder position and netting fish. I like to run my rod holders more forward. This allows more room for netting fish along side of the boat rather than off the back. Seems easier especially in rougher conditions. Also when your outside rod gets a fish on try moving the inside rod forward (to the front rod holder) to allow more room for netting. These are just a few things that have worked for me. If you like your setup by all means keep using it. You are putting fish in the boat.
Ulterra Linked with
Helix 12 and 10 Mega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2020, 08:27 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosechaser View Post
Kris,

Great video. I'm jealous because I only get to make a couple trips a year to Erie. One observation I had from your video was about your rod holder position and netting fish. I like to run my rod holders more forward. This allows more room for netting fish along side of the boat rather than off the back. Seems easier especially in rougher conditions. Also when your outside rod gets a fish on try moving the inside rod forward (to the front rod holder) to allow more room for netting. These are just a few things that have worked for me. If you like your setup by all means keep using it. You are putting fish in the boat.
Thanks for the advice. Will see what I can change next time.
I guess we are used to netting salmon. I know with them you do not want to net them at the side of the boat. Walleye being much smaller is probably different. Also might help with not tangling the lines up lol
Old 10-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Wallhanger

Good job on the video Captain. Have a few of my own but only one camera and a lot of solo trips this year on Erie. I am out there in my 1675 Impact. It is not the size of the boat but the motion of the ocean.

I fish the western basin and it can get bad quick and always seems to be when the fish turn on. Took my neighbor out and wind blew up and he was catching and as I unhooked them, he was chumming over the side. Turned out good as I decided to take him back and the waves by then were white capping at 2-4s and every so often would hit a series which were were 6s.

I would second the move of the rod holders further forward in the boat. I have 4 tubes just behind the windshield on each side for trolling, can easily run 4 boards on each side.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris2020 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will see what I can change next time.
I guess we are used to netting salmon. I know with them you do not want to net them at the side of the boat. Walleye being much smaller is probably different. Also might help with not tangling the lines up lol
I fish erie about a dozen times a year on a 17ft aluminum so i feel your pain. We net out the back because i dont like to have to horse them up the side. Plus at the side it is harder to net...out the back you can pull the fish into the net easier. But i have found that having the rod holders just forward of the halfway point between the back of the front seats and the back of the boat is the nicest layout for my boat. It leaves the back wide open for trolling and fishing. Next year i will have a pair of trees for planer board fishing. I think that will be a nice upgrade. Or maybe i will just upgrade to a bigger boat lol. I bought the 17' thinking my son and i would get quite a bit of inland time but hammering the Erie Eyes is just so fun its basically all i fish...just have to watch the weather. Had pretty good summer weather this year. I keep debating on a Ranger/Skeeter style boat or going to a walk around as my 5 year old loves to go out. But i dont take him on the main lake with me yet, we cat fished the bay a couple times and he loved it. A walk around style would let me take him out and feel better about it.