Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jeep Grand Cherokee - opinions wanted - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 AM
Keeper

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee - opinions wanted

Hi folks, I'm in the market for a new vehicle and a 2018 Grand Cherokee is on my short list. I've done a lot of research and my only real concern is quality / reliability. I really like the vehicle, but I know over recent years they seam to have had more than an average amount of issues and recalls. My research indicates they rate very high in quality and owner satisfaction, but I would still like to here as many opinions as I can.

I'd really like to her from current owners of the 2016 / 2017 models and your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Minnow

We own a 2012 Overland so not as new as what you are looking for, but a newer one none the less. After 2.5 years of ownership, we have been pleased. The quality of the vehicle has been good and any recalls have been for very minor things that can be taken care of when you get a free oil change or never taken care of at all because they are very minor. My wife drives it 95% of the time and what drew her to it were the options that come standard that you do not find anywhere else. Even options that you can not buy on other vehicles are included. The only money we have put into it so far are the tires. Originals lasted 75,000 miles in WI so we purchased the same ones again. The only advice I could share is new versus used. The Grand Cherokees do not tend to hold value quite as well as lets say the 4 Runners. For that reason we probably will not buy a new one since my wife likes to trade in every few years. I tend to do the same with my boats but I've been lucky/smart enough to own ones that have held their value. Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

The GC is one of only two true 4x4 mid sized suv's on the market today. The other being Toyota 4-Runner.
We had three. Our last one was a 2013 hemi. Would still have it if it hadnt been totaled in a crash. My wife still speaks fondly of it and it never broke down. She would get another in a heartbeat.

Last edited by Suzuki; 01-26-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

A few months ago, I sold my '08 GC. I used it primarily for long distance towing and estimate that 75% of my mileage was towing, yet I never had any issues. Towing is a strong suit relative to SUVs in that class.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Smile Grand Cherokee

We had a 2005 GC with a 4.7, our daughter has it now. Great vehicle, very few repairs at 150k miles. I'm thinking about buying another one. We've had three Jeeps, all of them have been reliable vehicles. I have a friend who just bought a 2017 GC - Larado. Too new to say much about reliability (< 3k miles). So far, he has been happy with it.

2020 Jeep WK2 - v6
2021 Lund Renegade 1875
115 Pro XS with SS Prop - Solas New Saturn
Lowrance Locators 7 & 9 inch hook Reveals
Garmin Livescope w 93sv
Minn Kota 70 Edge
Mainly fish Table Rock Lake in S/W Missouri
Old 01-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Minnow

My wife won’t drive anything else. We’ve had 4 now soon to be 5. She can afford to drive whatever she wants but keeps getting Grand Cherokees. We love them. They’re like tanks in the winter and comfortable as all get out any other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Wallhanger

We have owned 1995,1999,2005 Grand Cherokee's, 2008 Patriot and never had a issue. Just performed normal maintenance. Still have the 2005 4.7 115k and is still a viable vehicle. In 2014 we purchased a Dodge Durango Limited 3.6 new, over 50k on it and not one issue. The only reason we did not purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee, is that the Dodge had a longer wheel base, rode better and had more interior room.The V6 with the 8sp trans is very nice combo..pulled our 18 ft Bayliner with ease.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:37 AM
Keeper

I have a 2016 GC overland v6. Officially got it at Christmas in 2016 and already have 35k on it. No issues, great ride, great sound and comfortable. Highly recommend auto air suspension option. Pulls the Lund impact much better than I expected, hardly know it is there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Keeper

I have a 2015 GC Limited with the 3.6 Penstar. Purchased new but at 10K miles I replaced the transmission under warranty due to some hard shifting in the 8 speed which they could not correct with a new valve body or software updates. I now have 43K miles with no additional issues.

The transmission has been a known in issue since 14' with the addition of the 8 speed but has gotten better every year. Far fewer issues in the later model years. Overall a great vehicle and it pulls my Crestliner SuperHawk 1750 really well. Its not a Ford F150 with Eco Boost but I only trailer for a max of 35 miles so not a huge need for me.

Overall love the Jeep and by far my favorite vehicle I have owned which includes Acura's, Toyota's and Fords. Gas mileage on average in 20-22 mpg driving mostly interstate with throttle at 68 mph most of the time. Great 4X4 and very comfortable with a lot of nice safety features for the money. If you are concerned about reliability you can by a Jeep MaxCare extended warranty including the unlimited mileage option with a $100 deductible for about $2,600 and it includes a free loaner vehicles up to 100,000 miles. I have one since I keep my vehicles for a minimum of 200K miles and drive about 20K miles per year. Buy one you will be pleased.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestSuperHawk View Post
I have a 2015 GC Limited with the 3.6 Penstar. Purchased new but at 10K miles I replaced the transmission under warranty due to some hard shifting in the 8 speed which they could not correct with a new valve body or software updates. I now have 43K miles with no additional issues.

The transmission has been a known in issue since 14' with the addition of the 8 speed but has gotten better every year. Far fewer issues in the later model years. Overall a great vehicle and it pulls my Crestliner SuperHawk 1750 really well. Its not a Ford F150 with Eco Boost but I only trailer for a max of 35 miles so not a huge need for me.

Overall love the Jeep and by far my favorite vehicle I have owned which includes Acura's, Toyota's and Fords. Gas mileage on average in 20-22 mpg driving mostly interstate with throttle at 68 mph most of the time. Great 4X4 and very comfortable with a lot of nice safety features for the money. If you are concerned about reliability you can by a Jeep MaxCare extended warranty including the unlimited mileage option with a $100 deductible for about $2,600 and it includes a free loaner vehicles up to 100,000 miles. I have one since I keep my vehicles for a minimum of 200K miles and drive about 20K miles per year. Buy one you will be pleased.
I agree 100% with all this above. We have a 14 and love it’s besides the transmission. I found the best way to haul is to put the trans in sport mode. That limits the gears and shifts at higher rpm range. The hitch can be real noisy and clunky inside the vehicle but other than that no complaints. Quality is good and engine has plenty of power. I have the 3.6