Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Recommend a charger for winter battery storage - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
Why you would need to take off both "+" and "-" ? Makes no sense! Just removing one or the other interrupts and circuit. Typically the professional advise out there is to remove "-".

Read my post again. Oh, I'll save you the trouble. Here's what you missed:

"That way, next spring, you'll be sure to clean all the terminals."
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks to all that responded . I’ll leave in the garage and get a battery maintainer. Should have know that as it’s what I do for my corvette in the winter. Thanks again .
Old 10-27-2020, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8go4s View Post
Read my post again. Oh, I'll save you the trouble. Here's what you missed:

"That way, next spring, you'll be sure to clean all the terminals."

I don't think I've found it necessary to clean a battery terminal in decades..............no wonder I missed it!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I don't think I've found it necessary to clean a battery terminal in decades..............no wonder I missed it!
Am guessing you have AGM's. I have not needed to clean battery terminals on my boat in 10 years. Bob
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Am guessing you have AGM's. I have not needed to clean battery terminals on my boat in 10 years. Bob

Yes I do have AGM's in my boats.............buy seriously, even in vehicles.....don't recall cleaning a battery terminal in decades. Back in the day..........terminal corrosion was usually caused by the seepage of gasses coming up where the posts came thru the battery top, modern batteries are made very different. Plus, all my marine batteries have stud terminals, everything stays firmly attached with s/s hardware and nyloc nuts. For post terminals, if seepage/corrosion is an issue there are felt washers that can be used that effectively seal off the post.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Sealed/ no maintenance batteries have the same effect with no off gassing under normal circumstances. If you can add water you will have corrosion. Good air circulation can help reduce that. Bob
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Sealed/ no maintenance batteries have the same effect with no off gassing under normal circumstances. If you can add water you will have corrosion. Good air circulation can help reduce that. Bob
"Sealed/ no maintenance batteries have the same effect with no off gassing under normal circumstances". "If you can add water you will have corrosion".

I'm sort of confused by those comments..........however, good thing I haven't had the need to add water to any of my batteries for decades either.

Last edited by biggamefisher; 10-27-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
"Sealed/ no maintenance batteries have the same effect with no off gassing under normal circumstances". "If you can add water you will have corrosion".

I'm sort of confused by those comments..........however, good thing I haven't had the need to add water to any of my batteries for decades either.
How so. Sealed batteries that are not AGM will only vent if overcharged( downside is you can't replenish the water.) Kind of a poor mans AGM.(AGM batteries takes those gasses and recombines them into acid again) The comment about adding water refers to normal wet cell batteries that routinely give off gas while being charged. If there are gasses coming out that creates corrosion and lowers the water level. Bob