Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Motor Batteries for 24 volt motor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Slot Fish

Default Trolling Motor Batteries for 24 volt motor

Hi everyone,
Looking at Odyssey Extreme Trolling Thunder AGM battery. 49.5 lbs
Model 34m-pc 1500ST-M
Was considering lithium but the cost!
If anyone is using this battery or can recommend something better flood me with your 2 cents worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

All the info I've researched recommends wet cell batteries for trolling motors
Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Slot Fish

Very interesting about wet cells, which I use at this time.My batteries need to be changed and I thought AGM's would provide more stable power. Where did you find the info on wet cells? Was cost the factor?

Last edited by lovetofishanytime; 12-06-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Wallhanger

Flooded cell batteries require maintenance. If you are diligent they will last as long. It is a matter of convenience and knowing I have been lax with my battery care, I choose AGM for my trolling power. Group 34 batteries are a bit lightweight for TM's. I would recommend group 27 or 31. Look at the RC factor (reserve capacity) it indicates length of deep cycle stamena. By the way the weight of the battery is an indicator of more or better quality of lead. Bob
Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Slot Fish

Hi Ozark Bob,
What are you using for AGM batteries and the RC number which I really don't understand. The batteries will be used for a bow mount Motorguide Digital Tour 82-24 V motor. My 2011 Lund 2010 came with group 27 trays which can be changed to group 31 no problem. I'm open to suggestions and don't mind spending the money for top notch performance. This is a 20ft by 8ft beam boat at about 2700lbs. fully loaded. It's good to have extra power on windy days with the high freeboard. My flooded batteries have let me down a couple of times with proper maintenance and fully charged.
Thanks

Last edited by lovetofishanytime; 12-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

I think there are many good brands. It is probably a little late right now but a 36 volt motor may be what you need for a boat that size. Short of a new motor,put the biggest baddest batteries you can get. RC is a rating almost all good batteries put in their spec's. For group 30/31 they should be somewhere around 200 for the rc. Bob
Old 12-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Slot Fish

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the great info and I may consider a motor upgrade if I could sell the Motorguide for a decent price. Only 3 years old/low miles/who wants it?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 AM
Wallhanger

Get the Odyssey 31 or the Sears Diehard Platinum 31m. The sears are made by Odyssey but cost less.Every so often you can find them at a real good sale price. Wiredog
Old 12-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Wallhanger

Default Search Out Previous Threads

Over the past years a lot on WC has been discussed regarding trolling motor batteries. Search the many pages on this subject.

For me the batteries at Wal-Mart has served me well. I live next in a rural area. Wal-Mart gives me great service. Retail under $100.00

I have found if you fasten your batteries down plan to change approximately every three to four years you will be dollars ahead in the long run.

My 2 cents
Old 12-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Wallhanger

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
All the info I've researched recommends wet cell batteries for trolling motors

Very interested on where you read that info?

After 20+ years of using your typical wet cell deep cycle batteries, switched over at the start of last season to AGM's, been flawless, have never looked back.

I run Northstar group 31 AGM's for starting and trolling motor applications now, while the initial $1400 investment for 3 batteries might be a lot for some, the increased RC, the technology, no water levels to check EVER, no off gassing, are worth it for me. As well, up here where our boats sit in storage for 6 months out of the year, the slower rate at which AGM's self discharge is a benefit as well. Remember, AGM's benefit from using the proper charger, keep in mind you'll need one with an AGM setting.....I switched over to the new MinnKota Precision charger, so far the set up has been working great.

On a side note, I am on the second winter with a Odyssey AGM under hood of my GMC Sierra, what a powerhouse that thing is!

Last edited by biggamefisher; 12-07-2014 at 06:00 AM.