Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project - Page 22 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

I thought it would be worth a shot that you may have the hose connection. Try running a wire up the pee hole. There may be some dirt or debris that keep the water from coming out at idle. You will have to put the muffs on and start the engine. It may be that when it idles the clog keep the water from flowing. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 04:22 PM
Slot Fish

Default runs cool though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I thought it would be worth a shot that you may have the hose connection. Try running a wire up the pee hole. There may be some dirt or debris that keep the water from coming out at idle. You will have to put the muffs on and start the engine. It may be that when it idles the clog keep the water from flowing. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas.
engine always seems to run cool and I get a full stream when I turn up the throttle is same now as was when brand new.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Slot Fish

Default Here is the 1st fish i caught since i rebuilt my Lund

check it out, caught this pike on a orange rubber jig topped with a 2-3 inch shiner on a 5 ft ultra light rod and reel with 4lb stren line.the dadgummed video thing we made won't upload here what a PITA was fun watchin him run and listening to the drag scream again...has been years since i caught a fish and years since ive been able to use my boat. what a feeling to plane that boat again.

next issue:

i'm running a 12 pitch prop now, it came with a 13 pitch. I have a funny feeling I could be running an 11. I spoke to the people at mercury and they agree., but they want me to use a tach to be sure. when I purchased the motor new it was running around 4800rpm with the 13 pitch, not sure why my whizz bang dealer only bumped it 1 pitch? 1 pitch is only around 200rpm, doesnt surprise me he has let me down before. he told me that since there was 2 of us in the boat when he tached it, i should only bump it 1 pitch...he said that will get me up over 5000 and if I go out alone i should be about right. so he thinks that 1 less man in the boat and 1 pitch will make up for the 1200 rpms? now that ive been around boats a bit longer i don't think ive ever seen anywhere near 6000rpm, even when I go alone. this may be one of the reasons so much un-burnt oil was blowing out my prop exhaust when I cleaned it...my engine is always cold. I see solas props made for my motor in 9 and 11 pitch for 65 dollars. solas claims they made the OEM props for my motor. i'm tempted to get one of those inexpensive hour/tach meters off ebay for 10 bucks and see whats really going on. anyone have any experience with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pike.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	230794  

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-14-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

When I purchased my 15 Merc(USED) it came off a sailboat...6.5p...lots of power..no speed, I then purchased a Solas Amita 9p,,with a 270lb son in the front and me at 220...11mph GPS, with just me in the boat 17-18mph GPS...I then purchased a 11P Solas Amita 13mph with me in to boat, engine did not want to fully wind out. Put the 9p back on...11p going up for sale on C list.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to fishin 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
When I purchased my 15 Merc(USED) it came off a sailboat...6.5p...lots of power..no speed, I then purchased a Solas Amita 9p,,with a 270lb son in the front and me at 220...11mph GPS, with just me in the boat 17-18mph GPS...I then purchased a 11P Solas Amita 13mph with me in to boat, engine did not want to fully wind out. Put the 9p back on...11p going up for sale on C list.
I purchased a tach for 2 stroke engine today, I should have it within a week. I have a feeling a 9 or 11p is what I need. My prop is ok but I see some wear on the edges so either way I am going to buy a new prop, even if I my pitch is ok. The tach will simply help me decide if I have room to lower the pitch.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-14-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

Looks as though you're famous now. I see your story has shown up on targeting walleye email today. Great customer review for seafoam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Slot Fish

Default response to baseline about clogged cooling line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I ran a wire all the way up the rubber tube that's connected to my water/cooling exhaust hole and I worked it around a bit on the way back down and nothing came out, did not feel clogged at all. I was able to get the wire all the way up until it hit metal at the edge of the cylinder head. I ran my motor after that for quite awhile today at all speeds in forward and in neutral and the cylinder walls feel cool to the touch all the time, except when I try to idle it way down. I can literally leave my finger on the cylinder walls for a long time when she is running at a slightly elevated idle speed and she is warm but not hot. If my cooling system is blocked then I must have a very unusual engine. I would like to know more about this because it would be nice to see a large stream of water running at all times.

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-17-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default 1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundPikeRebel16 View Post
I haven't seen that. what are you talking about?

Is your name....?

Could be someone different I guess, but sure looks like your story, if I remember what I read here right.

"7. Heavy dose of Sea Foam saves $$$ (video).

......from MA was having issues keeping his old 25hp Mariner running. His local dealer wanted $100/hr to fix it, so he decided to run a heavy dose of Sea Foam through it first -- been humming ever since!"

*Removed name at request of OP.

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 10-18-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default 1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by LundPikeRebel16 View Post
Seems like I am the last person on earth to use this stuff. A lot of people I know at work are telling me they had similar experiences with it. I suppose if your engine issues are due to a gunked up engine or fuel system seafoam is a no brainer, must be in use by millions of people from all over.

Very coincidental that this story came out at the same time I guess. He has the same boat as you as well in his video.

*also coincidental that you share the same YouTube account with this other individual

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 10-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Slot Fish

Default Repaired a broken latch on my livewell

Here is a pic of a new stainless steel latch that I just installed on my livewell. The original latch was made of plastic and simply shattered one day last fall, when I slammed it shut. Lucky for me I found this stainless steel latch for 12 dollars-free shipping on ebay and it fit perfect. Here is a picture. The picture is dark because I had to lift the winter cover and tuck up under it to get the picture, the stuff off to the side is part of my winter cover support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	285642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	285650  

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 02-05-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Tags
fishing , floatation , flooring , lund , repair