Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat windshield protection - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Boondock,
You are concerned about not being able to see behind you with the boat windshield covered.
The solution is very simple.

Just install a rear facing video camera on the rear of the boat - looking backward. It is easy to install one on a ram mount and make it a wireless one for easy pick up in the towing vehicle.
If you don't already have a video capability in the tow vehicle, just pick up an inexpensive video monitor to mate wirelessly with the rear facing video camera on the boat.

When I towed with a motor home, I always used the video camera to see what was going on behind the camper, or anything that I was towing.

One example:
https://www.amazon.com/iStrong-Wirel.../dp/B07H3PGBYB+

p.s.
Some folks install the rear facing camera on the dash of the boat behind the windshield on one of the depth finder mounts that are normally stored when not fishing. This would open up the mount to use as a video camera mount. Then, it is also ultra easy to use the boat's 12 volt power to power the video camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 04:40 AM
Slot Fish

I purchased a Truxedo in September on Ebay. I second time I used it I took it off and folded it in half and put it in the back of my vehicle. It ended up with an empty cooler on top of it. When I took it out at the end of the day the silver side had a 6=8" split in the material and foam. I went back to the seller who went back to the manufacturer who said they would replace it.
If you have one I'd suggest rolling it up rather than folding it when not using it to avoid this problem.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:32 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvogelzang2002 View Post
I purchased a Truxedo in September on Ebay. I second time I used it I took it off and folded it in half and put it in the back of my vehicle. It ended up with an empty cooler on top of it. When I took it out at the end of the day the silver side had a 6=8" split in the material and foam. I went back to the seller who went back to the manufacturer who said they would replace it.
If you have one I'd suggest rolling it up rather than folding it when not using it to avoid this problem.
I was wondering about that and thinking same as you. Thanks for the tip.

Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
Yamaha 90 HP 4 stroke
Suzuki 9.9 EFI with iTroll G3
Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2
Lowrance Carbon 9
MinnKota Terrova US2 80# w/iPilot
Trailmaster trailer
Berlin Boat Covers bimini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvogelzang2002 View Post
I had the same problem with mine. Between the thinness of the foam and it being pretty brittle I wonder how much protection it really offers for anything larger than road grime.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM
Keeper

Well, I messaged with a rep from Truxedo today and asked about the proper way to use the windshield cover. She said, "felt side out.... the water beads off the fabric". She also said the best way to store it while not in use is to roll it up. I asked her the reason for having felt side out and she said she'd need to consult with her engineers. I thought, hmmm, nobody's ever asked that question before??? She said she'd email me with an answer.

Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
Yamaha 90 HP 4 stroke
Suzuki 9.9 EFI with iTroll G3
Lowrance Elite 9 Ti2
Lowrance Carbon 9
MinnKota Terrova US2 80# w/iPilot
Trailmaster trailer
Berlin Boat Covers bimini
Old 10-28-2020, 07:53 AM
Wallhanger

The first season I used the Tux I ran the foam side out and the wind vibration caused the felt to rub the paint off of my 621 windshield frame. That may be the reason they say foam side in. Now into the second season the foam has broken where the straps are sewn in. This is certainly NOT a durable product but now real expensive either.
I use it to keep the bugs off of the windshield so will probably look at something else next time as this is a disposable product.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
REW, can you post a pic of your boat with the lawn furniture on it so I can make sure I have it right?
Good one!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Insure your boat.........
Deductible-
Spoiled day or weekend-
Order replacement-
Two trips to install replacement- take it in, pick it up.
Bobby, apparently your time is not worth much