Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
“Auto Stop” Chevy Silverado - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
The 4.3 does have active fuel management,, it will drop 2 cylinders,however, I’ve never noticed if it’s done it. It is what it is, you would either like it or not. I like it just fine, it does what I need it to do at a much lower price than laying out more for a larger engine and or a higher trim level.
your right it drops 2 cyl, it was just that little "Flutter" that gave me that " sensation again". I would have bought that truck but by the next day it was gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
I have it on my 2020 Ram and on the Ram it is a belt connected to the crank, doesn't use the starter. I guess the GM product does something different? It is a great feature on the Ram, starts in the blink of an eye and smooth as silk
My 2020 Trail Boss is the same way - not hooked up to the starter at all.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:21 PM
Wallhanger

I did some reading and it looks like if you do a lot of big city surface road driving you can save a significant amount of gas. Edmund’s did a road test in LA with three cars and increased mpg by 10% on each. Most of the savings was lost in hot weather with the ac on. They must have done a lot of standing at lights in their 80 minute tests.

I don’t think the results are applicable to my driving. There just aren’t that many traffic lights around here and you’re hard pressed to be stuck at one for 30 seconds. Still, could be useful to some of you big city folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2020, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

I DO like my electronic "HOLD" so I don't need to keep my foot on the brake at a signal.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-23-2020, 09:57 PM
Keeper

Road and Track has a story (and video) on Auto Start-Stop. A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found the feature can improve fuel economy by over eight percent in heavy traffic. They also found it improved economy by about four percent in light city traffic.

Additionally, auto manufacturers have taken into account the additional strain on starting motors and improved durability accordingly.

On the one car I've driven that has the feature, the engine was running again by the time my foot reached the gas petal after letting off the brake (and I tend to still have a bit of a led foot).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-fuel-savings/
Old 10-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Got the Autostop Eliminator installed. 50 minutes start to stop. Pretty straight forward installation as long as you follow the video instructions. If you want to turn it back on, you can. When you start your vehicle, it is automatically off so no more forgetting to to so. That is the way it should of been from factory. Opt in instead of opting out, IMO.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Thank Big Brother

While it MAY save fuel and improve fuel economy, it's all about EPA credits. If the customer were able to disable permanently, the EPA credits wouldn't be awarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Difficult feature to avoid these days and I hate it. If someone could tell me how much gas it saves* or how much life it adds to the vehicle or how many starts the motor has in it or really any advantage it has other than "it's a new feature" I might be inclined to turn it back on.

* Mr. Simpson, your vehicle at idle uses 55ml of gas per minute (probably a way high guess) and 5ml to start. You'll save approximately one gallon of gas for every 80 minutes you sit at stop lights so if you're an average driver here in Springfield you'll save between 1.3 and 1.7 gallons per year. The heavy duty starter in your Yugo Supreme will last approximately 6 years of average driving and will cost $837 to replace here at the dealership, $531 at Mac's Garage and $399 if you do it yourself. We can include an extended warranty in your purchase agreement that covers the starter and all other items for the life of the vehicle or six months, whichever comes first.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdino View Post
Thanks, HRG. Definitely going to get one.
You already have one. Push the button.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I DO like my electronic "HOLD" so I don't need to keep my foot on the brake at a signal.
Too exhausting?
Old 10-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdino View Post
Got the Autostop Eliminator installed. 50 minutes start to stop. Pretty straight forward installation as long as you follow the video instructions. If you want to turn it back on, you can. When you start your vehicle, it is automatically off so no more forgetting to to so. That is the way it should of been from factory. Opt in instead of opting out, IMO.

Excellent. I agree that in the pickup trucks it should be opt in not opt out. My wife's 2020 traverse auto shutoff can't be disabled like my truck can. I don't mind it but it takes a second to restart and move. I am already on the gas and waiting for the truck to start and move. I didn't buy a Silverado with a 420hp 6.2l engine to save gas!