Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Takeaways from opening of Big Ten - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I'm a Gophers fan too and I didn't see that coming. I thought it'd be a close game. The Gophers just have to forget about the butt kicking and focus on Maryland. The season isn't over just yet.
Agree it was unexpected. The loss of kickers was huge, gifted Michigan probably 150 yards or more of field position. Just one of the things that will make this year unpredictable. It was also the first game and it's always risky to make too much of first games.

I thought that overall the Gophers looked like a team that hadn't quite gelled. Michigan schemed to take away Bateman and the rest of the receiving corps wasn't in synch enough with Morgan to make them pay. The same with the O line. The left side was solid, really quite good. The right didn't quite have it together on a few passing plays and that was enough to make drives stall. Run blocking was generally very good. They'll make a leap this week and be very tough by the end of the season if they stay healthy. There's a solid foundation for long term success in the Twin Cities. That is if you can hold on to Fleck. Not a lot of confidence in his sense of loyalty around here and Texas may come calling. Holtz did that to you guys 35 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
It was the referee’s 1st game back and maybe al little rust there also. I did see a couple questionable targeting calls against Nebraska. I guess players aren’t allowed to leap into a tackle or try and break up a reception.
Sounds sort of like the kind of calls I was talking about. You expect some things to get missed, the *better* team to get the benefit of the doubt, replay to show something different than live action and your own fandom to make you biased. But what I heard Saturday afternoon was similar comments about unusual calls from people without much rooting interest. And not all Michigan fans either. The board has a good number of Badgers and Buckeyes and Spartans and Huskies and they were wondering if there could be a pattern or if it were a lot of coincidences. So I decided to ask here, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2020, 06:27 PM
Merkey Cat

Here comes the judge!
Old 10-27-2020, 03:49 AM
Wallhanger

Hmm, Mertz missed practice yesterday consistent with protocols. So did his back up, Wolf. IL has been very good campus wide with testing and protocols, they're probably ok. If I were NE I'd be talking to WI about test results and demanding they give at least numbers if not names. It's not like an injury report, ankle sprains aren't contagious.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...us/3734836001/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Hmm, Mertz missed practice yesterday consistent with protocols. So did his back up, Wolf. IL has been very good campus wide with testing and protocols, they're probably ok. If I were NE I'd be talking to WI about test results and demanding they give at least numbers if not names. It's not like an injury report, ankle sprains aren't contagious.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...us/3734836001/
I'm sure they are, many of these schools are talking(not publicly). There is HIPPA and they have to first figure out if there is a positive. If so, then they have to trace backwards to see who else may have been exposed and quarantine them and who they just played in this case. some of my daughters team just went into their second quarantine based upon the 90 day period after when bunch of them had it the first time... We know many student athletes who have been in 3 quarantines...one 39 days over a 3 month period. its just crazy. its slowing but not stopping. its very mentally difficult for them.

Mertz will tear apart Nebraska's secondary who have their best secondary players out the first 1/2.

My son played against Mertz in HS down here..have had a chance to watch him develop. great player obviously

Last edited by kswalleyer; 10-27-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:09 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPKyllo View Post
I'm a Gophers fan too and I didn't see that coming. I thought it'd be a close game. The Gophers just have to forget about the butt kicking and focus on Maryland. The season isn't over just yet.
Same, didn't see that coming. No shame in losing to Michigan. They're a historic program, even if not where their fanbase wants them to be, that still recruits very well. I just hoped the Gophers were past the days of getting blown out like that by the helmet schools.

Not so worried about that offense if they can get the right side of their offensive line back. The defense worries me with the inexperience though.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:53 AM
Wallhanger

Mertz 2nd test came back positive, so he'll enter the 21 day quarantine, per CBS
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...t-for-21-days/
Old 10-27-2020, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Bender View Post
Mertz 2nd test came back positive, so he'll enter the 21 day quarantine, per CBS
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...t-for-21-days/
back up Wolf is alledged positive pending his confirm test as well...watta mess.

who knows how many others will be Q'd before its over
Old 10-27-2020, 02:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingMN4eyes View Post
Same, didn't see that coming. No shame in losing to Michigan. They're a historic program, even if not where their fanbase wants them to be, that still recruits very well. I just hoped the Gophers were past the days of getting blown out like that by the helmet schools.
Not so worried about that offense if they can get the right side of their offensive line back. The defense worries me with the inexperience though.
I'd hoped the Gophers were past painful blowouts like that also but I guess not. The offense really wasn't all that bad looking at the stats (even though Morgan wasn't at his best) and had possession for 35 minutes or so versus 25 minutes for Michigan and a 21-18 first down advantage, still Michigan outgained the Gophers 481-326. The stats really point at the defense as a weakness but Michigan looked like a very good offensive team. I've got confidence that Fleck can get the Gophers to where we hope they'll be someday. I just hope he sticks around long enough to get the job done.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

I've been a Sparty fan for 50 years. I watched part of Saturday's game and thought "Aw, Jeez, not another one of 'those' seasons!

I miss the golden years of Mark Dantonio.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default Takeaways from opening of Big Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I've been a Sparty fan for 50 years. I watched part of Saturday's game and thought "Aw, Jeez, not another one of 'those' seasons!

I miss the golden years of Mark Dantonio.

Hawkeye fan here, it’s going to be one of those years for them as well. They look scary bad. Talking 1 win bad. Defense looks big and slow. Offense looks like they are missing a qb that can throw the ball and wideouts that are capable of getting open. No key tight end as of now either.

They’ve always laid an egg here and there to teams they should beat, but this team feels different.

Going to be a long year I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk