Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
On Water Walleye School - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Keeper

Default On Water Walleye School

Just wondering if anyone form WC made it to the On Water Walleye School last weekend? I wanted to attend but had some family committments that I couldn't miss. Thinking about attending next year if they have one. Just looking for some feed back.

Thank you,
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Minnow

Default Walleye school

I attended along with about 32 others, It was a great experience, Learned alot. The instructors Doc Samson, Johnie Candle and Kurt Headquist were all superb. They shared their knowledge along with demostrating various techniques on the water {your option]. You got around $150 plus in tackle and other fishing gear from their sponsors and door prizes. The facility Vermillion Dam Lodge is top notch the service from Ed and Marty and staff was superb!!! The food fantastic..If you really want to know how the pros fish lakes you will learn that there. Is it worth the $630 I say yes. And the other 13 or so anglers I talked with all felt the same. Hope this helps if you have any specific questions send me a email.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Minnow

Default You NEVER stop learning...

I was at the school as well. I've fished walleye all of my life. I have fished all over Minnesota and Western Ontario. With at least 40 years of "intelligent" experience under my belt, I thought I knew alot. Come to find out there's a whole lot more to learn. PLUS learning WHY I've done the things I do walleye fishing that my Dad passed down to me- why these things work sometimes and sometimes don't. Being able to pick Doc and Johnnie's brains and SHARED information from classmates creates a learning experience that will greatly improve your time spent on the water. One simple tip the first day changed the way I've been using my sonar since they were invented! Not that I was wrong; It was that I was only scratching the surface of HOW to use it. If you've ever watched one of Doc's, Johnnie's or other professional fisherman's instructional videos- you've probably wanted to run right to the lake to try the tips in the show. With the Walleye school, the lake is right there!

Vermilion Dam Lodge is outstanding! Accomodations are way too comfortable, the food is too good and the staff is too attentive for the price! Check out the website at www.vdl.com for photos of the area. Don't forget a camera! You'll want pictures of the lake and lodge just to hang on the wall!

Another thing: My partner and I stayed in the Aerie- a 15-person lodge in itself with 2 fireplaces, 2 whirlpools, washer-dryer, 3 bathrooms, 2 fridges and fabulous views. What I didn't count on was making so many NEW friends! People that fish have more than that in common; like beliefs that instantly made the whole group in the cabin "classmates" that helped each other.

Make Plans NOW for next year! HEY and don't forget your wife- this is not a male-only event! There were at least a couple of gals that had a great time AND asked some of the BEST questions during class sessions! All of the "stuff" given away was truly terrific as well.

Lund 1700 Fisherman
Yamaha F115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Keeper

I would've loved to make it to that event. Sounds like everyone learned a lot and really enjoyed it! Doc and Johnnie have a lot of information to share.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM
thelegend

Exclamation

Walleye school at Vermilion Dam Lodge was excellent. Doc and Johnnie were informative, entertaining and challenging. Time in the classroom was well spent and made the time on the water better. Food was great and plentiful. Staff couldn't do enough for you.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies. I plan to attend next year if schedule allows. Did they give a date for next year?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks to all that attended. It was a challenging few days of fishing and everyone pulled through. I learned a lot too.

Vermillion Dam Lodge did an incredible job hosting all of us and yes we do have dates for next year.

September 26 -29. Mark the dates and get signed up soon. The class will be limited in size and we are hoping to fill it up.

Johnnie Candle