Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Wet cell messup - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
As usual, REV has the best answer, always top up your batteries after they are charged.
He must of read Ozark Bob’s post as he already mentioned that....Thanks Bob...
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2021, 08:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
JR,
Pretty simple -

Use a squeeze bulb and suck out any extra water and electrolyte.

Then squeeze out the liquid into a glass jar.

Now, go ahead and fully charge your battery.

When you charge the battery, the electrolyte comes back out of the cell structure and it causes the level of the fluid to change.

---------------
You now have a mix of water and acid in the glass jar.

Any time that the electrolyte level is down below the add points - first insure that there is enough electrolyte in the battery to cover the plates. Fully charge your battery and then top off the battery with the liquid that you have stored in the glass jar that is a mixture of water and battery acid. By doing this - i.e. saving the current mix of water and acid - you lose no acid from your battery and it eventually gets replaced back into the battery.

Then, after topping off the battery with the water acid mixture - put the battery back on the charger for a couple of hours which will cause the fluid to mix and you will then have a correct electrolyte throughout the battery.

Be safe

Best wishes.

Thanks! You had eome really good ideas.

I knew something went wrong, so I capped the batteries & left them sit there as-is until I put a plan together---

I picked up an infant bulb syringe, picked up a couple glass containers & slurped out of each hole until the acide was a little above the plates on all 3 batteries. Then charged them, wait4ed for a full charge & checked each fill hole again & the levels are good still.

What I think i also discovered is adding distilled water. leaving the batteries alone seemed to keep the water on tip & tha acid on the bottom (acid being denser I'm guessing)-- got a drip or 2 on my hand and no burning- that took me little bit by surprise.

Batteries are good to go now.

My next step is to make a baking soda & water solution. 1 lb to 1 gallon is the ratio that I've been reading to neutralize what I sucked out & then i can dispose of it safely.

Happy fishing!!
Old 05-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default got it all fixed up

i took your posts and it all worked out well... Out of 3 trolling motor batteries, I removed about 30 oz of stuff.

I think when distilled water is added, and the battery is not used at all, the water sits on top-- a drop or 2 hit my skin, and no burn. So that's good. Acid must be denser than water is.

Charged the batteries, double checked the fill levels & I was good. That's resolved.

I'll dispose of the solutions in a safe way next so no one risks getting hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions... I knew I messed up!