Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Zip wake tabs ?? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
and if I understand correctly, such a system would eliminate the need for me to consciously trim while motoring, too.

Gerry
No, that's not correct. You still need to trim the motor when on plane.

If you want to eliminate having to do it, then add Mercury's Active Trim Kit.
(Automatic trim).

I added it this past week, and got the set up done on it yesterday. It works great!

It's easy to install, is affordable (around 500.00 +/-), and easy to set up.

I found it on eBay for 425.00 plus tax but it was his last one. But, maybe, since you like to scour the internet for stuff...you might find a great deal on one too.

I put one on, because after running Evinrude's auto trim feature on all my past G2's, I got spoiled.

The test ride after the set up convinced me it was a great decision.

It's supposed to help with fuel savings too. We shall see...
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2021, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. Everything looks too flat to me to tell anything from that angle, bbh, but 1st photo shows full stern from the rear, and 2nd photo shows stern on starboard side (where it's presently better illuminated).

Extremely regrettably, Juls, I have found that it's pretty much impossible for me to get definitive technical advice from Ranger or my dealer these days.

It wasn't this way when I was deciding what boat to buy and figuring out how to get it configured early last year, but now if I contact Ranger they flatly refuse to answer any technical questions about it and instead just tell me to call my dealer. Even tried to get around their unwillingness to connect me to anyone there who would be able to provide technical support by asking for their Parts Department. Talked to 2 different parts guys on 2 different occasions this summer who both told me that no one at Ranger is ALLOWED to provide such advice, anymore. It has to be a dealer and that's that.

That would be OK with me, I guess (though I wouldn't like it), except that if I call my dealer - I talk with the manager or his service manager, there - they sometimes give me information that I already know or later learn to be incorrect, and other times tell me they don't know the answer to my question but they'll contact Ranger, find out and get back to me... and then Ranger BRUSHES THEM OFF, TOO rather than provide the requested information. These are the reasons why I've tried so hard (but as I said, unsuccessfully) to talk with someone at Ranger, itself.

Not exaggerating or kidding in any way. I just went through all of this very recently when I wanted to learn more about possibly switching to lithium batteries in my boat, but that's only the very latest instance. The specific subject doesn't really matter; this is how it is for all Ranger Boats technical matters now so far as I can tell. Maybe if I were to call around to other Ranger dealers I could find one that's much more knowledgeable, but all are quite distant from me and I don't know how I would find one that provides trustworthy information nor how I would tell that's what I indeed found...

I'm quite unhappy about this, as you can imagine. Although I love my boat, I picked the one I did in no small part because of Ranger's formerly stellar reputation for customer satisfaction and service, and were I to do it over again now I WOULD NOT BUY ANY BOAT FROM ANY MANUFACTURER IN THE WHITE RIVER MARINE GROUP (Ranger, Tracker, Nitro,...) because of this fundamental change that they have apparently made at their boat makers. Nor will I recommend Ranger to others, anymore. It's really a [email protected] shame.

Gerry
You need 330mm between the vertical lines. I don see any reason you can mount a tab on this boat. I have an engineering contact at zip wake happy to email them of like. You are not always going to get the best answers from dealers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tabs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	328700  
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-15-2021, 07:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlivewell View Post
I know first hand that they dont offer them as an upgrade on the 621 cup edition. Maybe could find something outside of Ranger. My question is do I really need them or will I regret buying the cup and kicking myself down the road.
No one said that it was offered on the CUP, the pro has an integrated mold however there is plenty of surface to mount them based on the pictures I am seeing. I have installed them on a few boats for friends. I am rather sure they can go on the CUP also was my point.

I would not by the PRO just based on the integrated slot, you will like the tabs if you do install them no matter what boat.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 PM
Wallhanger

Directly from the Zipwake Manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210815_200202.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	328702  
Old 08-15-2021, 08:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modog View Post
Directly from the Zipwake Manual...
is there a point to the post or just information. ? per your earlier post about it being rounded you just move them over, I encountered the same thing on another install.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-15-2021, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Informational.
I find it hard to believe that Ranger would go through all of the expense and hassle to change there hull mold to accept the Zipwakes if they could just as easily be installed on their Cup hulls is all.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
No, that's not correct. You still need to trim the motor when on plane.

If you want to eliminate having to do it, then add Mercury's Active Trim Kit.
(Automatic trim).

I added it this past week, and got the set up done on it yesterday. It works great!

It's easy to install, is affordable (around 500.00 +/-), and easy to set up.

I found it on eBay for 425.00 plus tax but it was his last one. But, maybe, since you like to scour the internet for stuff...you might find a great deal on one too.

I put one on, because after running Evinrude's auto trim feature on all my past G2's, I got spoiled.

The test ride after the set up convinced me it was a great decision.

It's supposed to help with fuel savings too. We shall see...
Thanks for setting me straight on that, and for the accompanying very helpful advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
You need 330mm between the vertical lines. I don see any reason you can mount a tab on this boat. I have an engineering contact at zip wake happy to email them of like. You are not always going to get the best answers from dealers.
I'd love to hear something definitive from your engineering contact at Zipwake. Frankly, I think the back-and-forth in this thread has left me more rather than less confused. (The stern on my boat is definitely not a flat surface where you drew those lines and that box; as I mentioned, there's a shallow concavity of irregular shape in that area on each side. And at this point, I'm quite perplexed as to whether/how much that makes a difference.)

Shouldn't there be enough 620FS/621FS Cups around, even with Ranger's recent hull redesign (if they were included in that), that a definitive answer IS out there? Why is it so hard to find?

Quote:
Informational.
I find it hard to believe that Ranger would go through all of the expense and hassle to change there hull mold to accept the Zipwakes if they could just as easily be installed on their Cup hulls is all.
Agreed. But it also seems hard to believe that they would go through all of that expense and hassle and still leave the hulls on some of their most popular boats such that they can't accommodate Zipwakes.

Gerry

Last edited by gbin; 08-16-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Informational.
I would find it hard to believe that a single ranger 620FS owner could not have tabs until the redesign. Car dealers redesign all the time, its that different look in the tail lights or the fender lines or the grill and so on that make people see it and want it. That is marketing.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 08-16-2021, 09:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I would find it hard to believe that a single ranger 620FS owner could not have tabs until the redesign. Car dealers redesign all the time, its that different look in the tail lights or the fender lines or the grill and so on that make people see it and want it. That is marketing.
You are aware that part of the transom/hull may not offer the support necessary to mount tabs without compromising the hull, right. There is no access to the inside of the boat in that area due to the float pods that are glassed in and therefor no way to mount a backing plate for the tab itself. Of course, this is with the zipwake system. Other tabs would require a place to mount not only the tab but also the hydraulic piston as well.

Last edited by bloodman; 08-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Wallhanger

There seems to be a-lot of confusion on this thread. As far as the ZipWake System, our walleye boats use their smallest interceptor, the S300 which is 300 mm in length for each interceptor. You need a 100% flat surface on the transom that is level with the bottom running surface of the boat to mount the interceptors. The interceptors are essentially 12" wide by 5" tall. You do not need access into the transom as they mount with lag screws and are not thru bolted. You can actually run the interceptor control cord over the back of the transom just like a transducer cord however that does not look as clean as the through hull options (where you drill a hole through the transom and run the concealed control wires through the hole).

The FS series hulls do not have a flat surface on the transom adjacent to the running surface to mount the interceptor unless they are equipped with the cut out area for them as shown on the Pro series boats. It's a no go with out some serious effort to make a contoured mounting block for the interceptor to mount to. You might be better off looking at a more traditional style trim tab for the cup rangers that don't have the area molded into the transom for the interceptor. I'm not even sure that works with the step in the hull.

As far as needing them (tabs in general), they will make any boat better, no questions asked! As I've quoted several times from a pro that runs tabs "they make a ****ty boat decent and a good boat great". I might be off in the exact wording but it's pretty close. For reference I've now installed 3 set of zip wakes on different boats, and am on my second season with them on my own so I'm pretty well versed with them.

Last edited by SLE; 08-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.