Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spinning Prop - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-01-2021, 06:03 AM
Wallhanger

Default Spinning Prop

So...i always put my main motor in gear while trolling so the prop doesn't spin as i was told leaving it in neutral wore the gears and possibly pick up line...etc. i see with the new motors and the "fly by wire" the prop still spins. Short of trimming the motor up i guess there is nothing i can do. Is this an issue for my lower unit or a non issue?

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2021, 08:00 AM
Minnow

I have a 300 Verado with a Bravo LT 21.5" Stainless prop. It doesn't spin in the wind as the lighter Aluminum props will. I still put my kicker in gear for longer trips.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
So...i always put my main motor in gear while trolling so the prop doesn't spin as i was told leaving it in neutral wore the gears and possibly pick up line...etc.

Yes the prop could possibly pick up line.

No, spinning the prop, when in neutral, does not spin or wear the gears. When in neutral, the prop shaft is disconnected from the gears.

Many you tube videos will show this in a cutaway view if you wish to explore this further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T_HjZ49nFA&t=5s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

It's a non-issue as far as your lower unit is concerned. I do prefer to lock my engine in gear to keep the prop from spinning when trolling with the bow mount to ensure someone not paying attention doesn't get wrapped up in the prop. God knows it's almost impossible to reach the prop on my verado while it's in the water especially with the jack plate setting it back even further!

you can lock you engine into gear to keep the prop from spinning by doing the following. when you come to a stop and shift you engine into neutral. shut the engine off. then turn your ignition key back on without starting the engine, shift your throttle lever to reverse and shut the key off. This should lock the engine into gear with it shut off.

Good luck,
Old 09-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Yes, but I have never seen where someone has proved that a spinning prop while going down the road is good for you lower unit.....if its not good for it, its gotta wear something out.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I place in gear both motors while trailering, big motor is in neutral while movng around with electric, kicker in gear. Yamaha dealer told me to place in gear while trailering, although I'm not sure it is necessary, but why not?

Bill
Old 09-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
It's a non-issue as far as your lower unit is concerned. I do prefer to lock my engine in gear to keep the prop from spinning when trolling with the bow mount to ensure someone not paying attention doesn't get wrapped up in the prop. God knows it's almost impossible to reach the prop on my verado while it's in the water especially with the jack plate setting it back even further!

you can lock you engine into gear to keep the prop from spinning by doing the following. when you come to a stop and shift you engine into neutral. shut the engine off. then turn your ignition key back on without starting the engine, shift your throttle lever to reverse and shut the key off. This should lock the engine into gear with it shut off.

Good luck,
Im very mechanically uninclined....so when you turn the ignition on but dont start motor, it somehow turns the gears to engage when you shift to reverse? this wont mash the gears?

On a 1980 evinrude 70, We used to sit back there and slowly spin the prop while shifting engine into gear...being careful not to mash the gears...
Old 09-07-2021, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

Unlike most all other boat motors all of the V6 Verado’s are fly by wire meaning there is no mechanical linkage between the throttle/shift lever and the engine, just a digital control wire thats much like the gas pedal or shifter on a new car. Therefore, Mercury has a number of defaults programmed with the ignition and makes it impossible to shift the lower unit into gear when the engine is not running. With the engine not running, you have to follow the above sequence to shift it into gear and keep it in gear and yet be able to shut the ignition off.

With that said, I use Verado’s pretty generally here but you can order other engines with DTS however you do not see them as often since it’s usually an upgrade option and not standard equipment.

Last edited by SLE; 09-07-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
Unlike most all other boat motors all of the V6 Verado’s are fly by wire meaning there is no mechanical linakafw between the throttle/shift lever and the engine, just a digital control wire that much like a new car. Therefore, Mercury has a number of defaults programmed with the ignition and makes it impossible to shift when the ignition is off. Even with the engine not running you have to follow the above sequence to keep it in gear with the ignition off.

With that said I use Verado’s pretty generally here as you can order other engines with DTS however you do not see them very often.
Do you know if the Pro XS has this "fly by wire" digital shift control?

thx
Old 09-07-2021, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

The new 300 V8 pro xs can be either mechanical shift or DTS depending on how they are ordered. Very easy to figure out. With the engine and ignition off see if you can shift into forward or reverse. If you move your throttle into one of those positions and your prop still spins freely, then you have DTS. If not, and the prop doesn’t spin, then it’s mechanical.

For reference, on the newer engines I believe the Verado and Sea Pro come with DTS standard while it’s optional on the other series of engines.