Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishing Etiquette - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Minnow

Default Fishing Etiquette

Just got back from Lac Seul. Had a great trip. Best in 10 years. One thing though. While out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of Lac Seul, my buddy and I were pounding really nice walleyes on a break in 25 ft. between two islands 35 yards apart. When a boat of four dudes out wandering around came right in on us. They backtrolled around us then got right on our break line and tried to push us off our spot. Really fellas? Big lake, lots of water and they crowd you out. What's up with that? I can fish Minnesota and Wisconsin and put up with it or really accept it. But how can you enjoy your Canadian wilderness experience with yawhos like that. Is it just me or does anyone else respect a fishermans area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default I must admit

This kind of thing really pizzes me off. Sometimes I even throw my jig at them.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Same thing....

I hear ya.....our group was up at Cedar Lake for the Opener (Perrault Falls) and I working a shore line off a point and a small island...great area for nice walleyes as the wind was pushing the bait fish into the narrows.

Two guys we had talked with on the water earlier in the week came up as I was working my electric almost to the best area, when they motored up ahead of us and put down their electric and cut us off....me and my buddies were PO'd....almost said something to these
guys (they were from the Chicago area) and acted like they were on the Dan Ryan freeway....we just worked the other side of the island and called it a night.

Like you said, there's all the open water and some guys feel the need to crowd in....can't
"fix them" (though some times you'd like to).....I head up north for R&R, and if someone is
an A-@, well, that's them and I'm on to another bay or island area....life's too short to try
and fix everyone (ha) !

Guess the only way to get away from this bad behavior is to go on a fly-in and be sure your group is the only one on that lake !

Rich B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Wallhanger

Like you said, there's all the open water and some guys feel the need to crowd in....can't
"fix them" (though some times you'd like to).....I head up north for R&R, and if someone is
an A-@, well, that's them and I'm on to another bay or island area....life's too short to try
and fix everyone (ha) !

Guess the only way to get away from this bad behavior is to go on a fly-in and be sure your group is the only one on that lake !

Rich B[/QUOTE]

Unless of course you are the MNR or OPP who would like to fix the beer drinking habits of us overzealous slobs from the south! (Re: MNR OUT OF $$ and ZERO TOLERANCE threads)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Keeper

I can't stand when people crowd in on me. When people get close that's when my big northern lures started getting thrown around. I establish a perimeter that way. Most people don't won't a face full of hooks
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Minnow

I wouldn't throw lures at them but a shot over the bow isn't out of the question.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I feel your pain. I'm trying to work on my conflict resolution methods. It helps to consider the possibilities. Perhaps that is the spot they have been fishing the past few days? You just happen to be there when they motored over..........possible? Do they like your company?......possible. Are they from Chicago......possible? Wish I had the lake to myself as well.......probably won't happen in my lifetime (but at least I'm still here, and fishing!! )
Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Here's a story for you guys.

Same thing happened to me a few years back on a lake near Armstrong.

These idiots pulled up maybe 30' away from us and started firing jigs in all directions.

I was pretty ticked, but more or less ignored them as we were onto a big pod and were catching them virtually every cast.

They were catching nothing and out of frustration had the audacity to start casting right at our boat.

I guess they figured that's where all the fish were.

Suddenly I hear a bang at the rear of the boat. I look back and there's one of their jigs lassoed around one of the carry handles on the back of the transom.

I immediately fired up the motor and gunned it, spooled him in about 10 seconds.

Karma can be a b!tch sometimes.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
I hear ya.....our group was up at Cedar Lake for the Opener (Perrault Falls) and I working a shore line off a point and a small island...great area for nice walleyes as the wind was pushing the bait fish into the narrows.

Two guys we had talked with on the water earlier in the week came up as I was working my electric almost to the best area, when they motored up ahead of us and put down their electric and cut us off....me and my buddies were PO'd....almost said something to these
guys (they were from the Chicago area) and acted like they were on the Dan Ryan freeway....we just worked the other side of the island and called it a night.

and fix everyone (ha) !

Rich B
Hey Rich..was it a camp boat or a private boat..not that it matters..I love this one..trolling a shoreline and catching fish..maybe going 150yds and then turning back..catching fish on each pass..another boat sees this and motors over and drops anchor right in our path..we just go around them and then move on..no need for an altercation 1000 miles from home..granted its not our lake but the ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me..
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

That is amazing to me, I have been going to Lake of the Woods for close to 20 years and never really experienced that. I might be that the area is mainly musky fisherman and we tend to move around to alot of spots. The one thing that has never happened is raised a fish on a spot and go back later and have someone on that spot.

BOB

Norman Maclean

Last edited by downriverbob; 06-27-2012 at 08:56 PM.