Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help me find my ultimate fishing boat - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Again, how so ?
Aluminum dents easy. Paints scratches very easy on aluminum. Harder to clean than fiberglass. Rivets leak. Welds crack. Rocks chip paint on aluminum when towing on road. Aluminum makes ride rigid and rough.

Hopefully that list helps you but, knowing your usual responses, I'm sure I'm in for an education.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 04:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakylunker View Post
Aluminum dents easy. Paints scratches very easy on aluminum. Harder to clean than fiberglass. Rivets leak. Welds crack. Rocks chip paint on aluminum when towing on road. Aluminum makes ride rigid and rough.

Hopefully that list helps you but, knowing your usual responses, I'm sure I'm in for an education.
I never had a dent in any of my aluminum boats so I can't agree they dent "easy", and I can't see why paint would would scratch any easier then on glass boats. Rivets do leak, never had a welded boat but I do know fiberglass also cracks and chips. Aluminum doesn't have a gel coat to fade and look like ship. Glass might ride a bit better in rough water but aluminum tows a lot easier giving the owner a more broad choice of vehicles to tow with.

I hope I didn't disappoint you, and you got your education you were waiting for........

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

Although maybe a little more than you would like to do, here is another option depending on your skills and how much time you have.
Buy a good hull that needs floors and other work, then rip and tear and custom build what you want the way you want! I have never done it on the type of boat you are considering, but have done it on Jon boats, as have many others. If done right you will have a boat that will rival a lot of factory setups and exactly the way you want it.
Don't hear about doing this very often on the bigger deep V boats, usually just floor replacement, transom replacement, and a few other things, but it can be done.
Don't think you want to do this, but it is an option!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Larson View Post
I'd think a 2025 Lund Pro V LE might check most of the marks your looking for,.....
+1 to this gentleman. I own a 2005 Lund 2025 and would highly recommend it. I live on Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas and also fish in Canada. IMHO, this is THE boat to own if you want a do-it-all unit. Yes, it has it's drawbacks but after weighing all the facts, this is the boat that best fits my needs.

2005 Lund ProV Magnum 2025 LE Tournament Edition
225 Mercury Opti, 15hp Mercury 4 stroke kicker
Minn Kota Terrova 112 36V
Wave Wackers with iPilot link
Lowrance electronics
Old 11-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltboatfan View Post
+1 to this gentleman. I own a 2005 Lund 2025 and would highly recommend it. I live on Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas and also fish in Canada. IMHO, this is THE boat to own if you want a do-it-all unit. Yes, it has it's drawbacks but after weighing all the facts, this is the boat that best fits my needs.

Since I have never sat/fished out of a Lund 2025LE-what are the drawbacks?
Thanks
Humminbird onix 8 touch
Ulterra with link
2008 Mercury 4 stroke kicker
Old 11-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

For over 25 years I had a glass boat and a tin boat at the same time. Gel coat is fragile. I had to wax the glass boat much more often than the tin boat. The sun's UV rays just wreck havoc with gel coat. A tin boat is painted like a car, and stands up to the sun's UV rays much better than a glass boat. Gel coat is improving all the time, but I have seen lots of spider webs on glass boats over the years. If you scratch your hull, it's much harder to do a gel coat repair, compared to just touching up a tin boat with automotive paint. A glass boat will give a better ride than a tin boat, but it's like a woman and needs more TLC.
Miami Vice
Old 11-02-2016, 04:09 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan-man View Post
Since I have never sat/fished out of a Lund 2025LE-what are the drawbacks?
Thanks
The following comments are just my opinions and not based on any detailed scientific study.
1. My Lund feels heavier in the water than my former Skeeter glass boat. It just doesn't feel as nimble. Think racehorse (Skeeter) vs workhorse (Lund).
2. Many Lund detractors don't like riveted hulls (they think they are more prone to leakage.) I've never had a single loose rivet or experienced any water in the boat. Personally, I think that Lund has this whole riveted boat controversy under control.

Those are the biggest "issues" I have with the boat. Please understand, these "distractions" were not enough to keep me from selling a very nice Skeeter and going to a Lund. For my own needs and style of fishing, the Lund fits the bill perfectly and I would happily buy another.

2005 Lund ProV Magnum 2025 LE Tournament Edition
225 Mercury Opti, 15hp Mercury 4 stroke kicker
Minn Kota Terrova 112 36V
Wave Wackers with iPilot link
Lowrance electronics