Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund alaskan rod box modification - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-27-2021, 05:12 PM
Wallhanger

Your work looks great but I prefer to store my rods in rods socks also in my 2000 Alaskan DC. The camo isn't paint though, it's a wrap. Attached is a picture of my Alaskan. I'll probably keep it until I die.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taking Off in Streiff Tournament.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	324428  

Last edited by KPKyllo; 02-27-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 PM
Minnow

I used rod socks on some rods but I still had damage to my reels. The handle even vibrated off one reel. Easy fix but just seems better if you can give your reels and rods a little separation especially with the cost of some. Just curious. You guys with the 2000 alaskan. What is your top end. I have a Yamaha 115 with a 4 blade prop and a hydrofoil. It gets on plane very quickly and rides very smoothly but the fastest I can get it is around 31 mph. Which is as fast as I really need but sometimes when weather comes in its nice to have a little more speed.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfan85 View Post
I used rod socks on some rods but I still had damage to my reels. The handle even vibrated off one reel. Easy fix but just seems better if you can give your reels and rods a little separation especially with the cost of some. Just curious. You guys with the 2000 alaskan. What is your top end. I have a Yamaha 115 with a 4 blade prop and a hydrofoil. It gets on plane very quickly and rides very smoothly but the fastest I can get it is around 31 mph. Which is as fast as I really need but sometimes when weather comes in its nice to have a little more speed.
somethings wrong and it probably the prop.. my experience is this, with a 2019 yamaha vf115sho,

i started with a yam talon 18p ss, 2 guys full tank of gas at 5300 rpm got 38mph

whit a 19p yam k series alum i got 6200 rpm and did 40 mph same weight

next prop i'm getting a yam talon ss 16p that will probably do about 5800 rpm and 41-42 mph

the k series is the cleaver style and the talon ss has alot of cupping

so if i really wanted to play around with props, different brands ect i cound get prolly 42-43 mph
Old 02-27-2021, 06:13 PM
Minnow

Yeah I know with a 4 blade prop and the hydrofoil I lose a little speed but just seems a little slower than I thought it would be. I haven't messed around with any other props yet an ld it doesn't say on this one the pitch unfortunately. Thanks for the info. I believe the sho has a little more power then the regular f115 too.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Wallhanger

one thing wrong it was a 17p k series alum
Old 02-27-2021, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yeah I know with a 4 blade prop and the hydrofoil I lose a little speed but just seems a little slower than I thought it would be. I haven't messed around with any other props yet an ld it doesn't say on this one the pitch unfortunately. Thanks for the info. I believe the sho has a little more power then the regular f115 too.
with the sho maybe a hair more power ,other guys could tell you more on that, but from all i have seen on here seems to me you should be doing 37-39 mph
Old 02-28-2021, 07:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I can't say I've ever had damage to my reels from only using rod socks. Maybe I've been lucky.
As far as top speed, I've had two 4S 115 Mercs on my 2000 Alaskan DC. My original was a standard 4S 115 with a 3 bladed SS prop and after 5 years traded it in for a 4S 115 Command Thrust with a 3 bladed SS prop to plane quicker and to be able to drive slower while on plane. Top speed for both motors on my boat loaded with a 9.9 Pro Kicker, 12 ft. Talon, bow mounted trolling motor, 4 batteries, full tank of gas, two coolers full of ice, tackle and two passengers has always been somewhere in the range of 39 to 41 depending on the day although it's rare that I run wide open.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:52 AM
Minnow

Wow thats a pretty big difference. I definitely might have to get a different prop on for now. Unfortunately I don't have an rpm gauge . Does your boat porpoise at all? And do you know the pitch on that prop kyllo?
Old 02-28-2021, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

My boat doesn't porpoise at all. I'm not sure that the prop on my Merc 115 Command Thrust will mean alot in your situation since the 115 Command Thrust has same lower unit as a 150 HP motor but I'll check it today and let you know since I don't remember off the top of my head.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Minnow

Ok thanks!