Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Smart Strike Lake Master Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 11-10-2020, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default Smart Strike Lake Master Question

How do you deal with the changes on the lake from the time the lake was mapped to present time ? Do these SD cards have a shelf life and do update. I find some sections to be spot on. I was dead over a contour that says it was 18' but FF showed it at 29' tried a rest and same so I measured it with a line and sinker. 27 Was right. Seems Navionics has updates that you can download but with Humminbird it is what it is when mapped.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2020, 03:41 PM
Keeper

So true. With this high water in Lake Michigan (and everywhere else), be nice to get updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2020, 04:07 PM
Wallhanger

Water level is not what I’m seeing as that can be adjusted, the depths were correct in other areas of the lake so it seems some type of erosion that made that spot deeper.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Water level is not what I’m seeing as that can be adjusted, the depths were correct in other areas of the lake so it seems some type of erosion that made that spot deeper.
Most people don't realize they can't survey every square foot of a lake. It would take eons and be too expensive for any of us to buy. Computers do a bunch of calculations and come up with probabilities.(all lake mapping) You can get updates on Navionics but you pay a yearly subscription for the privilege. The most accurate way is to map those areas yourself. It will overlay on your present map. If there are updates to maps you can just buy that updated lake(Chart Select) or when the new version comes out you can get that. Either way we pay for it with time or money. Whatever brand. Bob
Old 11-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Most people don't realize they can't survey every square foot of a lake. It would take eons and be too expensive for any of us to buy. Computers do a bunch of calculations and come up with probabilities.(all lake mapping) You can get updates on Navionics but you pay a yearly subscription for the privilege. The most accurate way is to map those areas yourself. It will overlay on your present map. If there are updates to maps you can just buy that updated lake(Chart Select) or when the new version comes out you can get that. Either way we pay for it with time or money. Whatever brand. Bob
I don’t think I have ever seen humminbird post the map date. No way to know what’s updated. I have never spent the time to learn the chart feature, is it easy ?
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 11-11-2020, 06:40 AM
Wallhanger

Not sure what chart feature are you talking about, Chart Select or Auto chart live. Of course there are the 2 PC programs-Auto Chart and Auto chart pro. All take reading and the effort to get used to it. As far as dates on maps, I don't know if there is a listing anywhere. What you can do is look through the lake lists of the various versions of the Lakemaster maps. https://www.humminbird.com/support/chart-lists
There are several indicators signifying standard,hd or even the maps that have been resurveyed (standard bold or italicized) listed at the top of the pages. The link is for all maps (new or old) all versions.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

No updates for Lakemaster, you would have to buy new card with a new version. With Lakemaster you have no way to tell exactly what is included on a new chip. With Lakemaster, you can view the map online before purchasing.

With Navionics, you can update free during warranty and with a subscription you can get updates. You can get updates online.

With Lakemaster you are buying a card with data and it can't be updated online. Also, if you are outside the warranty period and the card fails, you are out of luck and must buy a new card.

I had a problem with data on Navionics card and their customer service helped me update online for no charge, very helpful. My last Lakemaster was outside warranty, the seralized chip failed and customer service said there was nothing the could do, but sell me a new one. The Lakemaster cards seem to be more cheaply made. Pretty flimsy.

Good luck!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 11-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

The Web app is very nice for Navionics. Lakemaster only tells you what lakes are included and the type of data included(standard or HD) It will tell you if it has been re-surveyed also. No pictures of the map though. You can buy individual lake maps from Lakemaster also. In my opinion if there is a Lakemaster maped lake there will not be a better lake survey.(Those are only the HD versions). The features you get vs other maps make them way more valuable. If you have other brand electronics your situation is different, but if you have HB that is the only way to go. Especially if you have an ipilot link TM. I have been hoping for the Lakemaster Web app but even without it I will go Lakemaster every time. I have never had an SD or Mini SD map card go bad. JMO Bob