Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Eagle Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 11-26-2020, 06:35 AM
Wallhanger

Default Eagle Lake

Was in Vermilion Bay the other day and took a couple of pics of the ice on the lake.Its looking good. Took a couple of pics but cant load them.Friend of mine actually ice fished on Indian Lake chain and did very good.Ill be giving it a try soon but still hunting first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, John, appreciate your comments. Nice to be reminded that there still is a world north of the border; the longer it takes to be able to get back, the more it can seem like just an imagination figment!

Bill
Old 11-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

Something has to happen Bill.This cant go on.Vaccines,rapud test whatever.Masks whatever it takes.Camps have to ve abke to open or id say lots would fold. Not all but most. Sad thought.The only good part of last summer is that nature got and is getting a break.Right now the deer hunt is on and besides some local hunting the deer herd which is way down is definatly getting a break from the onslaught of US hunters as iam sure same goes for fish populations.Should be a good year in 2021.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Something has to happen Bill.This cant go on.Vaccines,rapud test whatever.Masks whatever it takes.Camps have to ve abke to open or id say lots would fold. Not all but most. Sad thought.The only good part of last summer is that nature got and is getting a break.Right now the deer hunt is on and besides some local hunting the deer herd which is way down is definatly getting a break from the onslaught oUS hunters as iam sure same goes for fish populations.Should be a good year in 2021.

Not looking to start a fight I'm just curious. With all the Deer in the States why would anybody go to Canada to hunt Deer? I understand Moose & Wolf and Bear but do people really travel there for Deer? Or were you just making a "hunting in general" statement?
Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Not looking to start a fight I'm just curious. With all the Deer in the States why would anybody go to Canada to hunt Deer? I understand Moose & Wolf and Bear but do people really travel there for Deer? Or were you just making a "hunting in general" statement?
Lots of US hunters travel across the border to deer hunt, it’s a different experience as you never know what other critters you might see & the chance to take something really big. A lot of states only allow one buck traveling allows multiple opportunities.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
We are talking Canada .Everything bigger and better simply put.Our norther beer are huge and a real thrill to hunt.Not talking sitting on a field edge beside corn and bean fields.Not going to get that here.talking the stuff you drive by going north.Wild deer not farm deer.Real hunting.300 pounders.big fat racks.Got to experience it first hand to know what iam talking about.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Ok thanks. I'm not a hunter so I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Until about twenty years ago I did not know there were white tail deer in Ontario. Was fishing Birch Lake, north of Red Lake when a Doe came down to the water to drink. I was shocked to see her. Red Lake buddy of mine said they were spreading north back then.

Has there always been a deer population in Ontario or are they expanding their range north from the States?

How do they taste compared to the "corn fed" deer across the grain belt? Would they be "gamier" like open range livestock and Elk?

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-26-2020, 12:10 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Quote:
We are talking Canada .Everything bigger and better simply put.Our norther beer are huge and a real thrill to hunt.Not talking sitting on a field edge beside corn and bean fields.Not going to get that here.talking the stuff you drive by going north.Wild deer not farm deer.Real hunting.300 pounders.big fat racks.Got to experience it first hand to know what iam talking about.
How about this fella for an Iowa Buck.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2020, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve never fished Eagle Lake and if the border opens was planning to do so. Anyone fish near or stay at South Shore Lodge?