Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Faded wave wacker restore - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Minnow

Default Faded wave wacker restore

I have a wave wacker that is discoloured. It's got a yellow tinge to it. Was wondering if any one on here has ever tried to bring em back to life? If a guy can use something on them and give it a face lift or less discoloured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Walleye,
There is a good chance that you have iron stains on the wave wacker.

Try using Iron Out on the wacker.

Remove the wacker and lay it on the driveway. Wet down the wacker and then use a rubber glove and a scrub brush to apply Iron out to the wacker. Let it sit for 15 minutes and then using water scrub it off.

If you still have stains, try using Simple Green and a scrub brush and hot water.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Slot Fish

Maybe one of those headlight restoration kits would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Wallhanger

x2 on the headlight restore method.
Terrova w-Link
Old 05-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Walleye,
The remaining posts suggested to me that you were speaking of the plastic part of the wave wacker, rather than the rubber part of the wacker that I was thinking about.

But, yes, if cleaners do not remove the yellow, then the headlight rubbing compound restorers will work fine.

If that is the case and to do the best job, remove the plastic part of the wacker from the rubber part and lay it out on a work bench so that you can get to the edges and also you can use the bench for backing as you are using the rubbing compound on the plastic to restore the surface.

Also, you could also give Wave Wackers a call and ask them the charge to replace the plastic parts of the wave wackers for your boat. The cost may be less than you think.

By the way, I expect that much of the yellowing is caused by UV rays. Do you leave the wackers on your boat all of the time, even in storage? Is the boat stored out of doors?

If you do leave the wackers on all of the time and if your boat is stored out of doors with no covers on the wackers, that accelerates the aging of the plastic.

If you remove the wackers, any time that you are not on the water in the boat, and store the wackers in a dark place, like a box or bag, you will eliminate the wacker aging during times of non use.

Be safe
Old 05-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Walleye,

Also, you could also give Wave Wackers a call and ask them the charge to replace the plastic parts of the wave wackers for your boat.
Be safe
Yes, it won't hurt to call but I wouldn't be to optimistic. I toured their shop last winter and each individual set is hand made. I'm not sure replacement pieces would be bent or cut exactly the same and you might have trouble getting everything to fit as it should.

Not saying they (Wave Wackers employees) don't do good work, because the do make a good product, just saying they may not be able to guarantee an "exact" match. Now if you send them the old pieces then they should be able to more closely match the previous ones.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Wallhanger

This is interesting...I have never had any of mine take on any color.
They are made of Lexan...so I am interested to see the results.
Keep us posted please