Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need help on canada trip - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-26-2022, 02:03 PM
Slot Fish

Smile Need help on canada trip

It sounds like we will be going on a trip to North Western Ontario in late May. We have always used salted shiners on spinners. I understand now that we can not bring salted minnows across the border. Anyways, we are wondering what make, size, and color of plastics we could use on spinners and jigs. We have absolutely no idea what and how much to buy. We would greatly appreciate any help from the plastic experts that have a lot of experience fishing artificials, plastics for walleyes in Canada. The lake is a large lake named Sessi out of Northern Wilderness Outfitters. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Last edited by dschiebel; 01-26-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2022, 06:30 PM
Keeper

I use three and a half or four inch paddletail plastics for walleyes and upsize to four and a half or five inch paddletails for northern pike. Firetiger, white, orange. and chartreuse are good colors. Berkekey Powerbait and Walleye Assassin make great paddletails. Stay away from Berkeley Gulp. I use one eighth, one quarter, or three eighth ounce jig heads depending on wind, current, and depth. Paddletails work great rigged normally or rigged with the side down. This gives you three times the use from every plastic. Northern pike and walleyes have tough mouths so use jig heads with sharp hooks. Gamakatsu hooks are the best in my book. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:05 PM
Keeper

Berkley twitchtail plastics were our go to bait this past September!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

There is a tongue in cheek discussion here that might be a clue.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...=729382&page=4

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-27-2022, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da' Walleye Assassun View Post
Stay away from Berkeley Gulp.
Why? Too messy?
Old 01-27-2022, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

BTW, here are a bunch of my favorites. I too like chartreuse, although there are none shown below.
Motor Oil, Green Pumpkin, White and chartreuse paddle tails. You really can't go too wrong, and it is fun to experiment. I like a 3/8 oz jig with eyes on it. I like spin jigs with a small blade.

One note.. the softer plastics get torn up pretty quick, and they tend to get pulled off the hook too. I'm going to try superglue this summer and see if that helps with keeping things on the hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220127_091852.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	548.3 KB
ID:	331530  
Old 01-27-2022, 09:35 AM
Keeper

Default Frankenspinner

A few years ago, we fished Osborne Bay on Eagle Lake. Toward end of May. A veteran of the water helped set us up with double bladed spinners with red, orange and green plastics dangling everywhere.

We fished shallow along the shoreline and nailed smallmouth, northerns and walleyes. I was dumbfounded that such a bright, ugly bait could catch the fish.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Trout View Post
Why? Too messy?
Gulp plastics dry up quickly when taken out of the package. After they dry up they are pretty much useless.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:09 PM
Wallhanger

I use many of what NM_Trout Posted...or at least something very similar like the Lunker City Fin-S for a fluke-style bait.

Last few trips I primarily used (for no particular reason really) the Berkley Havoc Grass Pig Jr. (cheap and work great), Berkley Powerbait Ripple Shad (3.5") and a local Canadian paddletail very similar to the Northland Impulse (I think it was Angler's Choice). I often use the Northland Impulse Paddle Minnow, but just wanted to switch things up.

I also used 3" or 4" grubs from whoever. Doesn't really matter to me. Yum, Zoom, Gary Yamamoto, Mr.Twister, BPS XPS, Kalin's.... I just choose the right profile for the season.

Westin, Z-Man, Keitech, X-zone....also all make good plastics.

You will cover all the bases (not that you really need to) with a fluke style bait, a paddle tail and twister/curly tail grub. Even just the paddle tails or grubs alone would be fine. Heck you could go old school with a bucktail jig and probably slay them.

When you are in that area of the province, I doubt it really matters what you use.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:30 PM
jeffsterner

Kalin's 5" Lunker grub in June Bug or White for walleyes.
Dr. Spoons for Pike.