Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Remington Wingmaster weak pattern question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:38 AM
Wallhanger

Wow, 20-30 rounds to pattern ! I sure didn't do that many .With those turkey loads, my shoulder wouldn't hold up.(actually gun vise) . Shells are so hard to find here that I don't think I could find that many currently--Today , we are going to try a different gun on which my friend put a Boyds thumb hole stock. All in all this is frustrating but fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2021, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

It took me 4 chokes and many different loads over time to find the right combo that really worked in my Benelli SuperNova. The shoulder did take a pounding proving it out. I used a monopod and rolled up towel on my shoulder to assist. Interestingly, it was the cheapest choke of the 4 that worked the best! Based on pattern data out here - http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.ph...ojtc9s1366e1v4 I think I've got a reasonably good pattern now. That being said, I helped a neighbor kid with his Franchi semi-auto and his pattern puts mine to shame.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Different chokes and different shells will pattern different in shotguns, you just need to find the right combo for that particular gun.
I have a 870 Super Mag., the .665 choke will pattern better than a .640 choke using Winchester Long beard XR, but didn't pattern worth a crap with the .665 and Fiocchi turkey loads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Wallhanger

I think lots of people would be surprised about their pattern if they they really studied it . Most just grab a gun and go --Today we shot a older 3 inch mag that had never been patterned . From the very first shot it was real good . He won't sell it but probably I will be using it for this season. . Thanks for your ideas on this . They were helpful !
Old 03-20-2021, 02:33 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer92 View Post
It took me 4 chokes and many different loads over time to find the right combo that really worked in my Benelli SuperNova. The shoulder did take a pounding proving it out. I used a monopod and rolled up towel on my shoulder to assist. Interestingly, it was the cheapest choke of the 4 that worked the best! Based on pattern data out here - http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.ph...ojtc9s1366e1v4 I think I've got a reasonably good pattern now. That being said, I helped a neighbor kid with his Franchi semi-auto and his pattern puts mine to shame.
PS. You need to register to see pattern pics in the link I provided.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:44 AM
Wallhanger

Got it-thanks
Old 03-25-2021, 03:22 PM
Wallhanger

More questions :I have a Remington 870 express . On the barrel it says" Use 2 3/4 or 3 " shells in Magnum receivers---use only 2 3/4 ' in all others"--- What are they trying to say ? The Magnum is throwing me
2nd question: Is it ok to shoot turkey loads (1 7/8 powder) in older 3 inch Wingmasters ? The gun is about a 1982 model with solid full choke barrel(not interchangeable chokes) thank you
Old 03-25-2021, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Receivers that accept 3" & 3 1/2" shells are typically called Magnum.

Receivers that take only 2 3/4" are not.

I see no reason you can't shoot your turkey loads through your full choke.

Some will say no slugs should be shot through a fixed full choke, or any full choke go that matter.

Maybe someone else can weight in.

Last edited by johnboat; 03-25-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
More questions :I have a Remington 870 express . On the barrel it says" Use 2 3/4 or 3 " shells in Magnum receivers---use only 2 3/4 ' in all others"--- What are they trying to say ? The Magnum is throwing me
2nd question: Is it ok to shoot turkey loads (1 7/8 powder) in older 3 inch Wingmasters ? The gun is about a 1982 model with solid full choke barrel(not interchangeable chokes) thank you
What they're saving is that originally 870s were 2 3/4 in guns, and the receiver length and chamber took 2 3/4 shells and all had fixed chokes. Later, they sold separate barrels with choke tubes in 3" that would take either, but they don't want you putting a 3" shell into a 3" barrel in a non-magnum (2 3/4) gun, even though the barrel will fit.