Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What's Going On At Fast Food Restaurants? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 07-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=kzoofisher;6576852]And then we’ll pay all those people to sit at home so the fast food places don’t lose profits.

Fast food workers throughout Europe make $15 or more and the sandwiches cost the same as they do here. It’s not like this is some uncharted territory. Or an organized movement. People are exercising their options and making their choices, it’s the definition of freedom. Who can be against that? The current job market is an employee’s market and ownership will have to adjust. Sometimes the market doesn’t work in your favor.[/QUOTE]

Im not against any of this...and I sincerely hope these 4M...and actually all of us are doing everything we can to get better and worth a higher skill set/wage every day...I can only imagine the innovation/wealth for all that would come from such an effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2021, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

Seems as though Culver’s here has no problem keeping enough staff. Maybe it’s a better place to work? I don’t really know, but the long lines/drive thru only at the other places is getting old.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Wallhanger

Fast food joints owned by big corporations not only put out crappy food, but are terrible places to work. It's been 50 years since I worked for the big fried chicken chain and it was the worst job I ever had - low wages to work like a slave. I quit after 5 days and went to work at a dry cleaning store where I worked for 2 years until I graduated HS. These fast food joints and many of the other Big Box eateries haven't changed their business plan in 50 years. What they are finding out is people including teenagers are finding other type of work that is more to their liking that pays the same or even more.

Sure some people may be sitting on their butts because of enhanced UE benefits, but that ends in September and I believe the fast food joints will still have trouble getting help until they change what they are offering. They were having trouble even before the pandemic started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2021, 04:58 AM
Wallhanger

What is your best guess as to how much a fishing guide makes per hour in profit. I bet not much more than 15 once you factor in expenses, repairs and rain outs. That requires more schooling than working fast food
Old 07-09-2021, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bigtaproot;6576910]What is your best guess as to how much a fishing guide makes per hour in profit. I bet not much more than 15 once you factor in expenses, repairs and rain outs. That requires more schooling than working fast food[/QUOTE]

I don't know what a guide may earn per hour, but it has to be better work than slinging burgers or slopping veggies on bread for subs.

I was in Alaska a few years ago. After a day of fishing I walked down to a local coffee shop in Seward. I began a conversation with the guy in the shop who happened to be the owner. He told me he used to run a Charter boat, but made more money serving coffee. He said by the time he paid the mortgage on the boat, dockage, daily maintenance costs, fuel contract, marketing, and crew he had over $100k laid out before he took his first group of fisherman off the dock. He also had a 14 to 16 hour day.

He said with the coffee shop he paid rent, bought supplies, worked shorter hours and got to hang out with his customers all day meeting people from all over the US and other countries.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:18 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=kswalleyer;6576838]a lot of these jobs will simply be automated at $15 per hour. its already happening. people may not be going back to that job but they will need to go somewhere, nobody is paying $30 per hour for a $10 an hour skill set ....unless you want to pay $22 for a McDonalds #1[/QUOTE]
I have hotels in 5 western states. We are paying housekeepers18.00 and up and desk clerks over 20.00. We haven't had full staff since the pandemic began. The trick now is to apply, get an interview and not show up. People just don't want to work and are paid by Uncle Sam not to.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=clawman;6576964]I have hotels in 5 western states. We are paying housekeepers18.00 and up and desk clerks over 20.00. We haven't had full staff since the pandemic began. The trick now is to apply, get an interview and not show up. People just don't want to work and are paid by Uncle Sam not to.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned before, my old lady is a pig boner in Missouri. They find it impossible to find people to hire. People apply, interview scheduled, no show.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:33 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=clawman;6576964]I have hotels in 5 western states. We are paying housekeepers18.00 and up and desk clerks over 20.00. We haven't had full staff since the pandemic began. The trick now is to apply, get an interview and not show up. People just don't want to work and are paid by Uncle Sam not to.[/QUOTE]

Question---Do you offer full time work, health insurance and other benefits????
Old 07-09-2021, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=clawman;6576964][QUOTE=kswalleyer;6576838]a lot of these jobs will simply be automated at $15 per hour. its already happening. people may not be going back to that job but they will need to go somewhere, nobody is paying $30 per hour for a $10 an hour skill set ....unless you want to pay $22 for a McDonalds #1[/QUOTE]
I have hotels in 5 western states. We are paying housekeepers18.00 and up and desk clerks over 20.00. We haven't had full staff since the pandemic began. The trick now is to apply, get an interview and not show up. People just don't want to work and are paid by Uncle Sam not to.[/QUOTE] I just wish Uncle Sam would just give everyone a "LUMP SUM" payment so i could retire and spend more time fishing in Canada.......once it opens of course !
Old 07-09-2021, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Might want to remember imho these minimum paying jobs are not meant for people who want to raise a family.
They are entry level jobs designed for the new people looking for work or part time people looking for a extra income.

Talked to a gal at one of the local middle of the road restaurants we go to and she said she can make very good money, wage was comparably low, but tips more than made up for it, and they had trouble filling the people they needed.

Al