Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Who Likes Popcorn? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2022, 09:55 AM
Wallhanger

Default Who Likes Popcorn?

Pretty dumb question. Yes cabin fever is setting in a bit. I was planning on sharing what the family stumbled into doing with popcorn seasoning but now want to share the popcorn choice as well.

Anyway, for deer camp I decided I was going to make some big tubs of popcorn for the guy's to feed on using the simple way my father started to season it. I could not stop by Fleet Farm on the way out of town where I normally get my white popcorn kernels, which btw, are really darn good as well, so called my son to pick some up on his way through. When he showed up I was all disappointed as he had to get some junk at Menards and saw a 4lb bag of popcorn there bringing that instead. I was really very satisfied with the Fleet Farm stuff and was not happy. Until I popped the Menards stuff. For whatever reason the Menards Snappy Brand made in Breda, IA seems fantastic. It popped really fast, fluffy, and had hardly and husk to it. It could just have been a good fresh bag obviously, because that's key, but I have been getting more and it's been good and consistent. Over the years Orville Redenbacher and a few other pricey brands is what I went to at times, but really, this stuff is a great bang for the buck. Never would have thought to get popcorn at Menards, so wanted to share that.

But what I really wanted to share is the simple seasoning I suggest trying. That is using both Nacho Cheddar and White Cheddar seasoning. It happened by accident when my father ran out of one and added the other. And ever since that's the way my family likes it, a lot. When they were young we would make it and any friends or relatives came over would rave about the taste and wanted to know what the heck I did. So in the dead of winter I thought I would share it, maybe give it a try yourself.

Besides that, I was always a yellow large kernel guy. Switching over to white only later in life especially when your teeth can't take the husks anymore. If you always had yellow you might just want to give this a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5017.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	331418  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2022, 01:04 PM
Keeper

Will definitely try the seasoning. We eat a lot of popcorn and find we like mushroom popcorn the best. Stays fresher longer and seems to hold seasoning better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Up until 2 weeks ago, we were big popcorn consumers.....
then broke a tooth on one hidden old maid.....

An extraction, and the initial work for an implant replacement, and what will end up being $4,000 out of pocket later.....

Did I mention how worthless Dental insurance is????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2022, 07:03 PM
Keeper

Generally I like popcorn dry without anything, but a little butter and a bit of Frank’s Red Hot powder goes a long way.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BA5A618-F126-4E33-A4B8-29E1FCF45B10_1643076164441.png
Views:	61
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	331424  
Old 01-24-2022, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh500special View Post
Generally I like popcorn dry without anything, but a little butter and a bit of Frank’s Red Hot powder goes a long way.

Steve
Kinda the same here. A little Cayenne or Habanero seasoning and salt, and good to go.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

I do like popcorn, got a deal on a 8oz kettle machine like the carnival and movie theater, so that sits by the bar. I'm old school in regards to topping- melted butter and popcorn salt. I will add that i now cook in coconut oil and am really pleased with it. I currently am using Yoders white kernels and also am happy with them.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 01-25-2022, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip on the Menard's popcorn. I'll have to give it a try. I'm an Orville white kernel fan myself, but if I can get a great popcorn, cheaper, I'm all for that.

I use coconut oil too, which seems to make it lighter than traditional veggie oil.

I've always used different Macaroni and cheese packets to make my cheese popcorn. Annie's is organic and has several different cheese flavors to choose from....white cheddar, aged cheddar, 4 cheese, and garlic/parm.

Then, I can use the pasta for other dishes, like tuna salad, or pasta salads.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 01-25-2022, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Several times a week.....

Dad used to raise White Japanese hull-less in his garden. Was my favorite, but it is/was really fragile as to the moisture when harvested. Some years were great popping and others not so much. I tried growing it and is was dismal at best. A lot of work and outcome was iffy.

Growing your own popcorn is like growing your own potato's. A lot of work when for a few dollars at the store will get you better potato's with a lot less work.

Pretty much an Orville guy now. Prefer white, but yellow pops a lot nicer. Can't find popcorn salt around here for some reason. Started using Olive oil a few years ago and like it better than veg oil. Have tried about every brand of popcorn and Orville is the most consistent. How the popcorn is handled at harvest moisture and cleaning is crucial. Popcorn is like field corn and anything grown in nature has a lot of variables.

Not a fan of any seasonings.

Also, broke a tooth a few years ago, but I think the tooth was cracked from a very old filling.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-25-2022, 06:12 AM
Wallhanger

I’m a lazy sort and buy the big red bags of popcorn at Costco
Old 01-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Also, broke a tooth a few years ago, but I think the tooth was cracked from a very old filling.

Pooch
My dentist told me the number one cause of broken teeth is popcorn. Number two is...ice.