Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fillet Board Ideas - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default Fillet Board Ideas

With the introduction of Covid, a lot of the local lakes had shut down their fish cleaning stations. Sometimes, I am 3.5 hrs from home, so need to clean fish fairly quickly.

I have been using the tailgate of my truck, along with the Rapala fillet board and the clamp. I like the board, but hate the clamp, as it always seems to be in my way. The board is a bit small, nice for portability, but not great for larger walleye, wipers or snot rockets. I thought about drilling out the rivets on the clamp and just removing it. My truck has a 110v plug, and bed lighting, so plugging in my vacuum sealer is a breeze. A quick stop at a car wash to power wash the chunks off the tailgate and down the road I go.

Does anyone own the Cabela's tailgate fillet board? It is larger, and looks like it has folding legs? Thoughts? Concerns? Comments? Any other great suggestions?

My wife and I have a system when we stay in hotels. I do not know how many people have come up to talk to me in a parking lot at after midnight while I am cleaning fish. I clean the fish, throw the carcasses in garbage bags (that we bring), and she washes and pat dries the fillets. She brings them back out to me in the ice bucket, and I seal them. Then into the prechilled Yeti they go. Makes short work cleaning fish, and I don't have to fight the mosquitos and biting flies, or wait in line at a fish cleaning station, if it is even open.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Husker,
This answers all of your issues.
Simple to use, legs fold up, height is adjustable, plastic top so knife proof and non damage t knifes and easy to clean.

As long as you have your truck, easy to fold up and lie in the bed of the truck.

The table is 2 feet by 4 feet - plenty large for even the largest fish and when not cleaning fish, a nice table to use for lunch for a person or two.

-------------------------------------

https://www.samsclub.com/p/4ft-com-t...lp_product_1_6

----------------------------------
I use a table identical to this one all of the time for fish cleaning as well as many other tasks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want to go with a table, then just pick up a large cutting board:

For example: Here is a 24 inch by 18 inch board that will easily handle any walleye that need to be cleaned.

https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Pl...N/ref=sr_1_51?
dchild=1&keywords=2+foot+by+1+foot+plastic+cutting +board&qid=1598971163&sr=8-51

=============================
Many years ago, I had a typical fillet board with a clamp on one end.

After cleaning a couple of fish, I went to the garage and removed the clamp and the fillet board without the clamp cleaned many many fish for me before I went to something else.

================================================== ===
But, seriously, consider the purchase of the 2x4 foot folding plastic topped table. In a word -
It simply works very well for cleaning fish as well as a myriad of other chores that one does in life

Take care
Old 09-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Wallhanger

Those ideas help a lot. I hate going to Costco or Sam's Club. However, my wife is truly a power shopper and could pick something out. Too many potential threats from too many areas for me. Makes me feel like I am on foot patrol in Kunduz. LOL.

I might just go with a larger board. The table idea is great, but my wife already has us packed to the gills. I used to complain, but I must say, we always have everything we need, no matter what it may be. The big table might be too hard to get in and out of the back, sitting under all the weatherproof totes. And it must all fit under my tonneau cover.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
Those ideas help a lot. I hate going to Costco or Sam's Club. However, my wife is truly a power shopper and could pick something out. Too many potential threats from too many areas for me. Makes me feel like I am on foot patrol in Kunduz. LOL.

I might just go with a larger board. The table idea is great, but my wife already has us packed to the gills. I used to complain, but I must say, we always have everything we need, no matter what it may be. The big table might be too hard to get in and out of the back, sitting under all the weatherproof totes. And it must all fit under my tonneau cover.
1x12x36 pine board does the trick
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyecheek View Post
What do you use to clean it? Bob
Old 09-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyecheek View Post

Meh, not a huge fan, but appreciate the idea. My wife is a nurse and a clean freak 10x over what I thought I was. She says plastic is easier to kill germs than wood. I do not know if this is even true, but happy wife, happy life so I roll with it. She carries those high powered antibacterial wipe tubs that she gets from the hospital. Designed to clean up biohazard ER rooms. She said wood was bad.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Old 09-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

I have used 1/4” solid core underlayment that I coat with 2-3 of sparring varnish or similar. These are scrap pieces from doing floors in my cottage 40 years ago. I just made a new one this year after 35 years of use on my original one.

You can cut a piece the size you require for your tailgate or whatever. To keep it from sliding around just put a rag/towel between the board n gate. I put mine on a cleaning table and it doesn’t slide around for me but that’s on a plastic surface.

To clean I just hose it off and stand it up in the sun for about 10-15 minutes. It much lighter to handle and move around with one hand. I see no purpose for anything thicker unless you need extra weight on a snowy day.

Later I’ll try to post a picture.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4441905352.htm
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra

Last edited by Bobby Winds; 09-01-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
Meh, not a huge fan, but appreciate the idea. My wife is a nurse and a clean freak 10x over what I thought I was. She says plastic is easier to kill germs than wood. I do not know if this is even true, but happy wife, happy life so I roll with it. She carries those high powered antibacterial wipe tubs that she gets from the hospital. Designed to clean up biohazard ER rooms. She said wood was bad.
A spay bottle with bleach or bleach wipe will disinfect it.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
A spay bottle with bleach or bleach wipe will disinfect it.
Or a good old fashion bottle of 409! That's what I use to disinfect my fillet board.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM
Keeper

disinfect? pff, I have an immune system! j/k