Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Couple of product reviews? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-08-2018, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Couple of product reviews?

Ok all, now that Tuf Line Micro Lead has been out a while, I'm wondering what you guys are thinking about it? From reading on here, it seems to sink a little faster, and overall has a good review. What I'm mainly interested in knowing is after use, are you still able to pull the sheath back to pull out 6" of line to tie your leaders to. I've had that problem with Sufix before.

Another product I'm looking at is the new MinnKota iPilot motors. I've seen some stuff that states the new improved spot lock is much better. True story? Or do you still prefer the xi5 when it comes to that? I've seen enough of the xi5 to believe it's the real deal. Just wondering if MK has caught up to em. Thanks for any info on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Keeper

Can't help you on the line but we do have the new Minnkota Ulterra on our boat. I have had 2 Terrovas in the past and the new spot lock is a major improvement. This past fall i was watching the remote and the furthest it was from my anchor spot was 5 feet and the majority of the time it was 2-3 feet. It does not wander like the Terrovas did, we are very happy with it.
wmd
Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Keeper

I have the new Ulterra and have had zero issues, really like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Robinson View Post
Ok all, now that Tuf Line Micro Lead has been out a while, I'm wondering what you guys are thinking about it? From reading on here, it seems to sink a little faster, and overall has a good review. What I'm mainly interested in knowing is after use, are you still able to pull the sheath back to pull out 6" of line to tie your leaders to. I've had that problem with Sufix before.

Another product I'm looking at is the new MinnKota iPilot motors. I've seen some stuff that states the new improved spot lock is much better. True story? Or do you still prefer the xi5 when it comes to that? I've seen enough of the xi5 to believe it's the real deal. Just wondering if MK has caught up to em. Thanks for any info on these.

Can't help on the line.

Lots of tricks to make the older spotlock a really great tool. But the new spotlock needs no tricks or knowledge it just works great.

Old spot lock 7/10. Works great but will search, backup, jog back and forth on you sometimes even spinning you completely around.

New Spotlock 9/10 Basically no worries, set it and forget it. has never spun around, and I only need to adjust if I want to. I didnt choose 10/10 just because i need somewhere to go if they improve it more somehow.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Tricks to make the old spotlock work? Like what? Never heard of anything to improve the thing.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Tricks to make the old spotlock work? Like what? Never heard of anything to improve the thing.
I know a little wind is better then no wind.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I know a little wind is better then no wind.
Good luck controlling that! Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Little things you probably already do. Like not hitting the anchor button when you are still moving, or moving away from the spot nose first. Using the wind to position the boat and begin the drift aft first so when you hit the button it doesn't need to backtrack and end up spinning around. Unspotlocking when the wind swings you and re spotlocking at the top of the swing. Making sure the prop is as low as possible for more grip, prop not breaking the surface. Most guys do these things, I guess saying they are tricks might be an overstatement.

I didn't need to do any of these things with the new system, I did these things out of habit but noticed pretty quickly its not necessary Overshoot a spot now and it stops its self and moves the boat back without needing to spin around, then holds.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post
Little things you probably already do. Like not hitting the anchor button when you are still moving, or moving away from the spot nose first. Using the wind to position the boat and begin the drift aft first so when you hit the button it doesn't need to backtrack and end up spinning around. Unspotlocking when the wind swings you and re spotlocking at the top of the swing. Making sure the prop is as low as possible for more grip, prop not breaking the surface. Most guys do these things, I guess saying they are tricks might be an overstatement.

I didn't need to do any of these things with the new system, I did these things out of habit but noticed pretty quickly its not necessary Overshoot a spot now and it stops its self and moves the boat back without needing to spin around, then holds.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayn View Post

I have the new version of the Terrova and with these things kept in mind the spot lock works great.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot

Tags
leadcore , minn kota , motorguide , spot lock , xi5