Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
rapala ion cordless fillet knifes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Slot Fish

Default rapala ion cordless fillet knifes

Has anyone had trouble with there knifes? if so have you been able to get parts? If so where?
I have a buddy that has one and the buttons you push to release the blades broke inside the case he has to take case apart to release blades...
We have checked the google and best we come up with so far is from rapala "no parts available"
REALLY? a $149.00 dollar piece of equipment and once it's gone it gone??
Somebody HELP us!!
2014 skeeter WX2060
14, 250 hp Yamaha 4 stroke
14, 9.9 Yamaha kicker
14, 36v motorguide XI5
2018 F-150 4x4 5.0L crew cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Wallhanger

I'd give them a call and see if you can send it in.

They'll probably replace it for free or give him a new one at a pretty good price if it's out of warranty.

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins
Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Go buy a BUBBA electric knife. You won't regret it !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 04:04 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with the send it in idea. I've had one for a couple years and really like it. I had the older one for quite a few years but the batteries didn't last and I got tired of replacing batteries. I can clean a shipload of walleye on a charge with the new one.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Brighton,
Perhaps a better measure of quantity of Walleyes cleaned with a single battery charge would be a number.

i.e. Can you clean 50 walleyes, 100 walleyes, 200 walleyes, 500 walleyes on a single charge.

It is unimportant, because a single charge takes care of your cleaning needs for a session and then the knife can be recharged.

I absolutely agree that in general - Lithium Ion batteries are the way to go for rechargeable devices of all kinds in today's world.

Electric drills, flash lights, head lights, knives, cameras all benefit from the excellent characteristics and the small light size with extended electrical energy available from today's Lithium batteries and associated motors.

For example the introduction of brushless motors into the world of rechargeable devices is a game changer.

Be safe
Old 08-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Wallhanger

I highly recommend a Havalon Baracuta Edge Folding Fillet Knife with 5-Inch Blades.

https://www.amazon.com/Havalon-HV127.../dp/B00AECFF2W
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Wallhanger

5" is small for skinning full size lake erie walleye, but looks like a decent knife. I have a cutco that adjusts in length with a cam lock. It stays sharp and is my favorite. I'm no electric knife fan.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Default Rapala Cordless

These have been known to be difficult to release the blades. If you google you will see complaints. Contact Rapala there may be a recall.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Ohio,
Copy that on the Cutco adjustable knife:

Whenever I clean fish, I use about 3 knives.
1-4 inch knife to making the initial cuts and cutting next to the backbone.
1-5 inch knife that I use to clean around the ribs to avoid cutting through bones.
1-Cutco adjustable knife used in its longest position to remove the skin from the fillet.

The first two knives are very stiff and relatively broad to do their work. The cutco is long and flat and a bit more flexible to work well to skin the fish.

I have had a bunch of electric knives over the years, and still use one now and then for carving a turkey. But, I prefer the use of razor sharp manual knives for cleaning fish.

Everyone is different, but the manual knives are what I prefer to use for cleaning.

One important caveat - for the way that I clean fish.

I try not to ever cut through any bones. No reason to cut through bones and the knives - both manual and electric stay sharp many times longer.

Also, I try to never cut through the scales on a fish. Cutting scales is also a good way to dull a knife - either manual or electric.

Rather, I angle the knife when making my initial cuts to slip the knife between the scales so no dulling of the knife by cutting scales.

Be safe
Old 08-18-2019, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Ohio,
Copy that on the Cutco adjustable knife:

Whenever I clean fish, I use about 3 knives.
1-4 inch knife to making the initial cuts and cutting next to the backbone.
1-5 inch knife that I use to clean around the ribs to avoid cutting through bones.
1-Cutco adjustable knife used in its longest position to remove the skin from the fillet.

The first two knives are very stiff and relatively broad to do their work. The cutco is long and flat and a bit more flexible to work well to skin the fish.

I have had a bunch of electric knives over the years, and still use one now and then for carving a turkey. But, I prefer the use of razor sharp manual knives for cleaning fish.

Everyone is different, but the manual knives are what I prefer to use for cleaning.

One important caveat - for the way that I clean fish.

I try not to ever cut through any bones. No reason to cut through bones and the knives - both manual and electric stay sharp many times longer.

Also, I try to never cut through the scales on a fish. Cutting scales is also a good way to dull a knife - either manual or electric.

Rather, I angle the knife when making my initial cuts to slip the knife between the scales so no dulling of the knife by cutting scales.

Be safe
Really......we usually fillet a fish in about a minute.....what do you allow per fish..... One HOUR ? ? ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra