Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Would Evinrude survived? - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-26-2021, 11:44 AM
Bobby Winds's Avatar
Bobby Winds Bobby Winds is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WNY
Posts: 10,757
Default

I LOVE my 90 HO E-TEC...........it gets me where I want to go in a hurry without any smoke and only sips expensive gasoline. Turn the key, let it warm up a bit and catch me if you can to the Great Lake Erie Hot Spot... She's 6 years old with no problems and I still have 1 more year of warranty to go.

See ya on the water,
Bob
__________________
2015 Polar Kraft Frontier 179WT
2015 E-TEC 90 HO
2015 Trailmaster trailer
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 06-26-2021, 12:14 PM
jjy jjy is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 602
Default

I have no argument against newer 2 strokes that run clean. I dont care for old two strokes anymore even though my favorite dirtbike was a cr250 2 stroke. My only opinion on etecs is that they didn't fit my application at the price I wanted to pay. Also I knew resale would not be as good as a 4 stroke.
__________________
2018 Alumacraft 205 Sport
250 SHO
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-26-2021, 12:54 PM
C&K C&K is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnielund View Post
BRP stopped producing the E-TEC outboards for ONE reason, SALES NUMBERS and PROFIT.
Yep, they had a relatively small market share in outboards. They bought Alumacraft. There was two Alumacraft factories - the original one in St. Peter, MN and another one down south someplace. They are closing the one down south. They discontinued the Etec and then announced this Project Ghost thing. The slides from the investor meeting show a Telwater (which they also own) QuinTrex boat with their new Ghost drive and it clearly says "Evinrude" across the back of the boat.

Clearly this new design is not going to work for repower or existing boat designs, since the Ghost drive is integrated with the boat. So they announced a deal with Mercury Marine to provide engines for their existing boat designs, as Ghost will obviously only be sold with a new boat built for it. This is the part the dealers don't understand. The marina here told me 90% of their Evinrude engine sales are repower, not new boats. They will have to switch to a different brand for repower. Which still doesn't drive BRP's sales figures.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Marty59 Marty59 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I LOVE my 90 HO E-TEC...........it gets me where I want to go in a hurry without any smoke and only sips expensive gasoline. Turn the key, let it warm up a bit and catch me if you can to the Great Lake Erie Hot Spot... She's 6 years old with no problems and I still have 1 more year of warranty to go.

See ya on the water,
Bob
While you are warming up, I'm miles away. Will wait up for you

Marty
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-27-2021, 05:32 AM
buckmaster7600 buckmaster7600 is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I LOVE my 90 HO E-TEC...........it gets me where I want to go in a hurry without any smoke and only sips expensive gasoline. Turn the key, let it warm up a bit and catch me if you can to the Great Lake Erie Hot Spot... She's 6 years old with no problems and I still have 1 more year of warranty to go.

See ya on the water,
Bob

Warming up is the one thing my etec did well, right to when the buzzer came on


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-01-2021, 10:37 AM
IGiveUp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&K View Post
Yep, they had a relatively small market share in outboards. They bought Alumacraft. There was two Alumacraft factories - the original one in St. Peter, MN and another one down south someplace. They are closing the one down south. They discontinued the Etec and then announced this Project Ghost thing. The slides from the investor meeting show a Telwater (which they also own) QuinTrex boat with their new Ghost drive and it clearly says "Evinrude" across the back of the boat.

Clearly this new design is not going to work for repower or existing boat designs, since the Ghost drive is integrated with the boat. So they announced a deal with Mercury Marine to provide engines for their existing boat designs, as Ghost will obviously only be sold with a new boat built for it. This is the part the dealers don't understand. The marina here told me 90% of their Evinrude engine sales are repower, not new boats. They will have to switch to a different brand for repower. Which still doesn't drive BRP's sales figures.
The ghost Drive will be a colossal failure. If BRP wasn't able to make it with Evinrude as repowers and some package rigs, why do they think this Ghost crap will make it? Who is the idiot at BRP that thinks making the Ghost that is dependent on a specific boat design will be a winner?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52 PM
jjy jjy is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 602
Default

They should make electric outboard and battery banks that fit into current gas tank slots. This seems more plausible to me.
__________________
2018 Alumacraft 205 Sport
250 SHO
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-02-2021, 07:27 AM
C&K C&K is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGiveUp View Post
The ghost Drive will be a colossal failure. If BRP wasn't able to make it with Evinrude as repowers and some package rigs, why do they think this Ghost crap will make it? Who is the idiot at BRP that thinks making the Ghost that is dependent on a specific boat design will be a winner?
I also have doubts about the success of an integrated design. One of the main selling points of outboard propulsion vs inboard or I/O is the relatively lower cost of maintenance, a boat design can be made for any number of different brands of engines, and the ease of repower as the rig ages.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.