Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund 219 or nitro zv21 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-24-2021, 08:23 AM
Minnow

Default Lund 219 or nitro zv21

Looking into the 2 boats obviously different hulls but can I get some pros and cons from u guys. I was also pondering the idea of a zv 20 any info u can share would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitzb View Post
Looking into the 2 boats obviously different hulls but can I get some pros and cons from u guys. I was also pondering the idea of a zv 20 any info u can share would be great. Thanks

I used to be a hardcore Lund guy. Actually still own a little run about. I have seen to many transom issues with Lunds fiberglass line to every get me to buy one.

The ZV21 I have heard of one with issues, but he beats the living piss out of his boat so that's on him.

Don't get me wrong, the Lund 219 is a killer looking rig and at 3000lbs dry weight, that thing should be a monster in rough water.

I have been in a few ZV21's and I really like them. Solid feeling boat and they crush waves and ride very well in rough water. Do I think the fit and finish is what a Lund would be, NO, but still a sweet boat and I would have no problems buying one.

The ZV21 is actually a pretty nice 20ft boat. Again really good in rough water, great storage.

If I had to choose between the two, I personally would go with the ZV21. I could mention other boats on the market, but I stick to what you are asking about.
NPAA #803
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMesserschmidt View Post
I used to be a hardcore Lund guy. Actually still own a little run about. I have seen to many transom issues with Lunds fiberglass line to every get me to buy one.

The ZV21 I have heard of one with issues, but he beats the living piss out of his boat so that's on him.

Don't get me wrong, the Lund 219 is a killer looking rig and at 3000lbs dry weight, that thing should be a monster in rough water.

I have been in a few ZV21's and I really like them. Solid feeling boat and they crush waves and ride very well in rough water. Do I think the fit and finish is what a Lund would be, NO, but still a sweet boat and I would have no problems buying one.

The ZV21 is actually a pretty nice 20ft boat. Again really good in rough water, great storage.

If I had to choose between the two, I personally would go with the ZV21. I could mention other boats on the market, but I stick to what you are asking about.
I am curious what issues you have seen with Lund Fiberglass. It was my understanding that the transom issues were in the aluminum line. They had one year model issue with Fiberglass but not seen anything aside from that.

I doubt that Nitro will hold resale value like Lund does and there is a reason for that.

Nitro takes up a lot of room with the boxes that can't be removed. Lund's can be removed. Nitro does not allow for a seat to be plugged in the casting deck Lund does.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 12:31 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
I am curious what issues you have seen with Lund Fiberglass. It was my understanding that the transom issues were in the aluminum line. They had one year model issue with Fiberglass but not seen anything aside from that.

I doubt that Nitro will hold resale value like Lund does and there is a reason for that.
Well - Lund Fiberglass is Hecho en Mexico along with Bayliner/Sea Ray etc...it get that labor cost down. We aren't talking New York Mills anymore, and I think the quality issues being referenced above are a direct result of that.

I'm not sure the resale on Lund Fiberglass is anywhere near their Aluminum offerings...Lund just isn't known for their Fiberglass boats...in the same way that Sea Ray and Bayliner aren't known for producing super high quality run abouts.

Quote:
Nitro takes up a lot of room with the boxes that can't be removed. Lund's can be removed. Nitro does not allow for a seat to be plugged in the casting deck Lund does.
Ranger does the same thing...and honestly for what these boats are used for...its really not a deal breaker for most. Why remove the storage? More Floor Space for when you're trolling? Im not sure a foot and a half is a deal breaker. Personally I would be more annoyed that I need to lift out big storage boxes and find a spot for them in my garage.

For your money its tough to beat a Nitro from a value standpoint. Price out a ZV21 and a Lund 219 and that will be pretty clear....and as I stated above - these Lund Fiberglass boats are produced in Mexico using the same methods and quality standards as Sea ray and Bayliner....im not sure the "Its a Lund" argument applies as much here.

My .02 anyhow.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitzb View Post

Are you thinking New..or used?
Old 07-26-2021, 03:19 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdg View Post
Well - Lund Fiberglass is Hecho en Mexico along with Bayliner/Sea Ray etc...it get that labor cost down. We aren't talking New York Mills anymore, and I think the quality issues being referenced above are a direct result of that.

I'm not sure the resale on Lund Fiberglass is anywhere near their Aluminum offerings...Lund just isn't known for their Fiberglass boats...in the same way that Sea Ray and Bayliner aren't known for producing super high quality run abouts.

Ranger does the same thing...and honestly for what these boats are used for...its really not a deal breaker for most. Why remove the storage? More Floor Space for when you're trolling? Im not sure a foot and a half is a deal breaker. Personally I would be more annoyed that I need to lift out big storage boxes and find a spot for them in my garage.

For your money its tough to beat a Nitro from a value standpoint. Price out a ZV21 and a Lund 219 and that will be pretty clear....and as I stated above - these Lund Fiberglass boats are produced in Mexico using the same methods and quality standards as Sea ray and Bayliner....im not sure the "Its a Lund" argument applies as much here.

My .02 anyhow.
Great points but the only thing they save in Mexico is cost of labor, they still have a acceptable spec and QC guideline. Its Lunds name and the have to stand behind it no matter who made it.

The removable storage is the best thing I have seen, when I want to take family out lots of extra room 24 x 12 x 2 is extra free square footage. If I know I am trolling I also take them out because I don't need all the extra storage but the space makes it less prone to someone bumping into someone and going overboard in a rush to graph a pole or net.

Several people I know offered to buy my boat and it was hard to say no with the numbers offered. I also watch the sales and unless beat up Lund holds value.

Go clean your garage so you have room for the storage compartments! LOL

And by the way what is wrong with a sea ray ? The boats are built to a design spec and Lund still hold the design patents that give it the ride it has and the tracking.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 07-26-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:32 PM
Minnow

Looking for used beings the prices are so darn expensive anymore to go new
Old 07-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Minnow

I have a 2020 ZV21 and it does everything I need it to do. My wife feels way more comfortable in rough water and it handles great for a bigger multi-species boat. The only effect the rear storage does is make one get a longer net pole. Not sure about the Lund but a 72” trolling motor works real well on the Nitro. 60” is a tad short in some wavy conditions. Pretty sure you can’t go wrong with either boat, it’s just a matter of which one suits your fancy. I suggest finding a way to get seat time in both boats before buying.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Great points but the only thing they save in Mexico is cost of labor, they still have a acceptable spec and QC guideline. Its Lunds name and the have to stand behind it no matter who made it.
Fair - but every manufacturer has NMMA certification requirements etc. My larger point was Fiberglass isn't something Lund is known to do as well as Aluminum. They are a late entry to the game.

Quote:
The removable storage is the best thing I have seen, when I want to take family out lots of extra room 24 x 12 x 2 is extra free square footage. If I know I am trolling I also take them out because I don't need all the extra storage but the space makes it less prone to someone bumping into someone and going overboard in a rush to graph a pole or net.
Fair points - I rarely fish more than 2 people in the boat and almost never have more than 2 seats in the boat. If I take the family out - we are fishing, its not a watersports boat for me (ZV20). Really just depends on how you are going to use the boat - for me, not paying an extra whatever % for the Lund name and having to deal with very useful side storage is a trade I will make everyday.

Quote:
Several people I know offered to buy my boat and it was hard to say no with the numbers offered. I also watch the sales and unless beat up Lund holds value.
I think any well equipped and cared for Fiberglass boat will hold its value. Im less and less convinced that brand really matters when you get right down to it. The people it matters to are those Ford vs Chevy types anyway...and who pay's attention to them?

Quote:
Go clean your garage so you have room for the storage compartments! LOL
You sound like my wife....

Quote:
And by the way what is wrong with a sea ray ? The boats are built to a design spec and Lund still hold the design patents that give it the ride it has and the tracking.
Nothing is particularly wrong with Sea Ray - they are just a budget bowrider from my experience - and my comment was really around the fact that Sea Ray isn't known for any revolutionary hull designs that I am aware of or anything that would make me think the construction and quality of a boat made in that plant is a cut above anything on the market.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdg View Post

Nothing is particularly wrong with Sea Ray - they are just a budget bowrider from my experience - and my comment was really around the fact that Sea Ray isn't known for any revolutionary hull designs that I am aware of or anything that would make me think the construction and quality of a boat made in that plant is a cut above anything on the market.
It always comes down to the preference of the buyer and the budget. I would not consider sea ray to be a budget boat, I had a 370 that cost over $300K nearly 20 years back.

Sea Ray was considered a mix of luxury, needs and demands and they preformed well. Given Brunswick owns them and Lund and Lund decided to go into glass which I think was a good move, no reason to setup a new factory when the already have multiple factories but at the end of the day Brunswick did not design the sea-ray, sea-ray did not design Lund, Lund designed Lund and the Pro-V has been a very popular hull design and glass allows them to perfect that design even more. You can't shape metal as well as glass. Gotta keep it in perspective.

I do agree the nitro is a great boat and when I went shopping for a new fishing boat it was Lund, Ranger, Nitro and Recon. Recon never responded so took them off the list. Deposited a Ranger after spending the day at the dealer who had no way to test ride but felt something missing, having owned other Lund's I went to look at Lund and realized real quick it suited my fishing style identical to the way the tin did with more comfort and so on. The relocatable seat is huge. Some guys plug a bike seat in the back of the nitro and it feels crowded and my legs don't like that position. Also I do not think that I would buy a boat that is sold through retail stores (Nitro and Ranger) as retail is a whole new ball game where profit is the only factor and I worry design changes over time will bring costs down to make while the price to buy will go up.

Dealer networks such as Lund are dependent on buyers as its a single product category unlike Bass Pro Shop that has a million SKU's, they don't care if I buy a boat or not but the local dealer does.

I regret not going with the 219
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes