Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Older Lund Pro V comparisons - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-11-2021, 06:19 AM
Minnow

Default Older Lund Pro V comparisons

I'm looking to buy an older Lund 1800 or 1900. Late 90's, early 2000's models. I can't afford the rising cost of the newer boats, and a brand new one is as much as a house these days.

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience in the differences between a console boat, and a tiller. Specifically, I'm looking at a late 90's Mr. Walleye 1900, but back then, those rigs were maxed out at 100 hp for a tiller boat. I like the fact that the Mr. Walleye rig has a console in front of the driver to hide behind wind and help from getting wet.

The same boat can have a 200 hp motor if it's a console boat.

Is 100 hp enough to make that boat perform ok with a full fishing load, and me? I'm 6'2", 260 lbs. of ex football player in a former life. I've been in tiller boats before that didn't like me sitting at the back, as far as getting on plane quickly.

I'm not looking for a super fast rocket boat, but I don't want to have issues with holeshots, etc.....getting up on plane quickly on some shallower lakes. I also want to be able to get some level of reasonable speed to cross big water on occasion.

Any input along these lines, regarding the power of a bigger tiller boat, are appreciated.

I know that the more modern boats being built today have tillers with very big motors on them, 200 hp plus. Is that because of the hydraulic assist on the motors, or are the boat transoms built differently now?

Last edited by walleyefan9; 08-11-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2021, 08:03 AM
Slot Fish

Default tiller boat

i have a 1998 Lund Pro V 1900 Tiller with 90 Hp Merc 4 stroke
15 inch prop and will get up Quick on plane with 3, 200 + lb guys , full gas , livewell full and 4 batteries . top speed with same 33.4 GPS . Plenty for me . And will backtroll .9 mph , something the 200 HP will Not do . Very satisfied
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyefan9 View Post

I know that the more modern boats being built today have tillers with very big motors on them, 200 hp plus. Is that because of the hydraulic assist on the motors, or are the boat transoms built differently now?
The hp ratings for big tiller boats seem more generous today than in the old days mainly because tiller boats over 20' have always had high hp ratings. .. actually "unlimited" rating.. but there were just not many tiller boats over 20' around the midwest..

Out on the west coast, however.. Guides out there run huge tiller boats with huge engines. It blew my mind the first time I saw 24' Tiller boats with 300 hp on them'.! Lots of customers in those boats require horsepower.

Heres's a pretty good read on hp rating topic:
https://www.boats.com/on-the-water/o...r-steer-boats/

Last edited by T Mac; 08-11-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWK View Post
i have a 1998 Lund Pro V 1900 Tiller with 90 Hp Merc 4 stroke
15 inch prop and will get up Quick on plane with 3, 200 + lb guys , full gas , livewell full and 4 batteries . top speed with same 33.4 GPS . Plenty for me . And will backtroll .9 mph , something the 200 HP will Not do . Very satisfied
thanks for that feedback. This is exactly what I wanted to know. It'll be just me in the boat 99% of the time.