Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat manufacturer boat cover - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 07:00 PM
Wallhanger

Default Boat manufacturer boat cover

I've used my brand new boat cover 3x (that's 3 legs to/from fishing, not 3 round trips--I'll often only put the cover on for the 'going' part of the trip). I noticed yesterday that one of the snaps pulled out and one of the edges was all frayed and pulled away from the main fabric. I took it into my local canvas shop for repairs and got the call today that it was repaired. In the past I've ordered the cover from the boat dealer and you'd have thought I'd have learned my lesson by now....... The canvas shop owner told me that he'd suggest I not drive to Canada or any long distance as he doesn't feel this cover would survive the trip. He said those covers are so light weight and made so cheaply that these covers are lucky to last 3 seasons of short distance trips. The only reason I buy a cover IS for the long distance drives. I'd suggest to ANYONE buying a new boat to do what I should have done. Get the boat and bring it to a local canvas shop and have one custom made. The price will be about the same or even less. And last way longer and you'll be able to drive to Canada with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrn2001 View Post
I've used my brand new boat cover 3x (that's 3 legs to/from fishing, not 3 round trips--I'll often only put the cover on for the 'going' part of the trip). I noticed yesterday that one of the snaps pulled out and one of the edges was all frayed and pulled away from the main fabric. I took it into my local canvas shop for repairs and got the call today that it was repaired. In the past I've ordered the cover from the boat dealer and you'd have thought I'd have learned my lesson by now....... The canvas shop owner told me that he'd suggest I not drive to Canada or any long distance as he doesn't feel this cover would survive the trip. He said those covers are so light weight and made so cheaply that these covers are lucky to last 3 seasons of short distance trips. The only reason I buy a cover IS for the long distance drives. I'd suggest to ANYONE buying a new boat to do what I should have done. Get the boat and bring it to a local canvas shop and have one custom made. The price will be about the same or even less. And last way longer and you'll be able to drive to Canada with it.
What manufacturer is it? I have never had a problem with the durability of Ranger and Stratos covers. that being said, I wouldnt doubt the money for a local tarp may be great.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:30 PM
Wallhanger

My Ranger covers - 3 and Skeeter cover -1 have been bullet proof. Well worth the money IMO
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

I bought a Glastron 4 bow top off eBay and put it on my 21' cobia. it was very heavy-duty and the best top I have ever owned.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Was it sold as a "travel" cover or a "mooring" cover? Construction, materials and durability vary greatly.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default Travel cover

Without divulging too many details (as it's not the dealers fault), the boat was manufactured by a Brunswick company. Also, and this is 'my bad', I bought a boat in 2015 from "Brunswick" but a different brand and bought a cover from them too. Same thing. The cover had to be 'reinforced' soon after I used it only a few times. I paid either $700 or $800 for this one (can't find the exact price). The heavier material from the local canvas company would have been right about the same price. They would use Aqualon.