Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Do you think ice fishing is damaging open water fishing? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2021, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallychowder View Post
No ! Whats strange is someone from Alabama telling us how to manage our fisheries up north ?
You obviously don’t know what you’re doing up there or this wouldn’t be an issue.

Your turn. Lol!!!
Live and die on this day......

Last edited by Sportdog; 06-16-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Why strange? It was sport fishermen who lead the charge to stop over fishing more than a century ago. Sport hunters on their side, too. And there's no question pretty much anywhere can get over fished. There've been many posts here about the change in quality of Canadian waters on some pretty darn big lakes since slots and lower limits were introduced 30(?) years ago.

None of this is to say it's a done deal. I got a lot of questions about whether or not total fish mortality is up and what the reasons might be. Also, if there is a problem is it wide spread or localized enough that a little education or rule tweaking would take care of it. But we've all fished lakes that seem to really decline after the word gets out about them and it's easy to see how overfishing can be blamed when fishing may only be one of many factors. Looking into it and having a conversation now can save a lot of headaches later.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

I’m done playing. I have some ribs to eat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABA96140-0685-4B31-B4F3-2DD090041CCF.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	327194  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2021, 04:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdog View Post
How do you reconcile “catching more fish” with complaints about catching more fish. It’s an oxymoron. Maybe banning sites like this one? Make manufacturing industry’s stop making more fish catching products? Odd and even days you can fish? Make all fish caught must be registered? Only make it so you can fish and other guys can’t to protect the resources? Ban guides because they are so efficient at catching fish?
You can catch fish and release them you know. If you have ever been ice fishing, you have probably noticed that it is quite different from open water.. I think I can count the number of guys ive met that are C&R ice fishermen on one hand, almost everyone keeps everything "keepable" when ice fishing.

Quite a different sport, and this is why we need to teach more ethics and selective harvest in the ice fishing world. Now add in all the advancements in tech and you are wiping out small lakes keeping everything you catch. Limits are not meant for everyone to fill out, if everyone who bought a fishing license kept their legal limit of fish there would not be many fish left in the lake.... Limits are set by the average overall harvest of anglers and the surveyed populations of fish as a result. As fish get easier to catch, limits need to be reduced and size limits adjusted IMO.

I've always said if you take a competent person and put a good rod in their hand, tie on a fish catching jig, and set a good flasher in front of them they will be a good icefisherman in a few hours of watching fish react and adjusting.

Open water fish move more, and are harder to fish because they take skill and knowledge.. not just watching lines on a screen and adjusting until you find what they want and then fill a bucket with them. Ice fishing is by far the easiest fishing there is, I enjoy it but man it can ruin a good spot fast.

Those talking about hundreds of thousands or millions of acres of water will not understand.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Minnow

We never catch decent fish on LOW in the winter like we do in the summer. Its too hard to move all the time or maybe I'm just lazy. Its more about spending quality time with friends and family, cooking a brat, stirin a bloody mary, taking a nap, playing cards. I have spent three four days on LOW and not come home with a limit.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
You can catch fish and release them you know. If you have ever been ice fishing, you have probably noticed that it is quite different from open water.. I think I can count the number of guys ive met that are C&R ice fishermen on one hand, almost everyone keeps everything "keepable" when ice fishing.

Quite a different sport, and this is why we need to teach more ethics and selective harvest in the ice fishing world. Now add in all the advancements in tech and you are wiping out small lakes keeping everything you catch. Limits are not meant for everyone to fill out, if everyone who bought a fishing license kept their legal limit of fish there would not be many fish left in the lake.... Limits are set by the average overall harvest of anglers and the surveyed populations of fish as a result. As fish get easier to catch, limits need to be reduced and size limits adjusted IMO.

I've always said if you take a competent person and put a good rod in their hand, tie on a fish catching jig, and set a good flasher in front of them they will be a good icefisherman in a few hours of watching fish react and adjusting.

Open water fish move more, and are harder to fish because they take skill and knowledge.. not just watching lines on a screen and adjusting until you find what they want and then fill a bucket with them. Ice fishing is by far the easiest fishing there is, I enjoy it but man it can ruin a good spot fast.

Those talking about hundreds of thousands or millions of acres of water will not understand.
Take my word for it. I will NEVER hurt the fishing resource. I was in Michigan fishing and my wife and I caught a fair amount of fish. We kept two fish in three weeks of fishing. A Lake Trout and a small King.

I get what you are saying about catch and keep in the ice fishing world. There again, I NEVER liked ice fishing. I was in my early twenties and drinking took precedence on these trips tip up pike fishing.

Now, problems concerned by fisherman should be addressed to the state Fisheries Management and hopefully they will address it if it is legitimate. Maybe they will be able to stand up to politicians and economic lobbyists. That’s a BIG MAYBE!!!

Good luck getting things straightened out. Going to be REALLY hard with all the new equipment, angler education, and meat hogs putting that knowledge to work……
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DDA8109-0C36-46EE-9D61-66C6E199F98E.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	327196   Click image for larger version

Name:	9430CA85-604C-4757-81B6-423F532F6495.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	327198   Click image for larger version

Name:	052D4025-F50C-457C-A11D-2D980128ADDC.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	327200   Click image for larger version

Name:	66AD655F-F688-44C8-A733-586E1BA369AB.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	327202  
Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I know from living close to a large population center that has a lot of little lakes scattered within an hour drive of half the population of the state that it doesn't matter if it is ice fishing or open water fishing. If someone posts on a local fishing message board or face book site that there is a hot pan fish or walleye bite on any lake, within a day you can't find a parking spot at the launch and within 2 weeks the class year that was biting has been wiped out.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

These are complicated questions and predicaments whether we like it or not people are allowed to keep limits and if no size limit they are allowed to keep what ever size they want. We have to rely on the experts to set sustainable limits based on their best information for that body of water. Sportsmans need and wants are only a part of the equation the economic part of this is a major factor like it or not. We have to express our concerns to those that will listen and try to educate those coming up to try and preserve what we have. Just came back from a week of fishing on the Chippewa flowage caught a lot of walleyes but only one that was big enough to keep which is not unusual for that lake why that is I dont know but has been that way for years. I keep thinking that some year a year class of fish will be legal size and over but maybe all the legals are caught and kept. Crappie fishing varies from year to year but we keep a couple bunches to have two fish frys while we are there and bring back a couple bags of fillets for home use. It was my grandsons (13 yrs old) first time hope it will continue to produce for him. Good scenery great bunch of guys 12 years running and 7 1/2 hr drive, close to a Canadian adventure as we can get that has so much to offer
Old 06-16-2021, 09:51 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
We begged the biologist for a 10" crappie size limit on this lake when all of this was happening,

Remember everyone, anglers have no impact on panfish size or numbers according to Iowa DNR biologists.
Well up this way besides the rivers. ALL walleye are stocked into the lakes there is no natural reproduction to speak of in them.

Once you get off one of the special lakes that the DNR uses for milking the fish for eggs. The 17-22 in slot is gone and the 3 fish limit turns to a 5 fish limit.

You basicly look for stocking reports and once the walleye hit the 14in size the lake gets hammered to the point where anything over 13in gets pulled out for the most part….then it takes about 2-3 years till the next stocking gets to the 14in.

So there is about 3 lakes up here where if you follow the stocking reports you fish lake A this year lake B next year lake C 3rd year. Then cycle it. If they’d do the 17-22 slot with a 3 fish limit the fishing would be so much better. The lakes they have it on is pretty good walleye fishing.

I get the panfish thing…they reproduce fast. I can even understand the limits…sort of.

However, if you just go to they IGL when there is fishable ice it’s a town of at least a couple hundred people every day and maybe even close to 1,000 people on lakes that are 2-5 thousand acres.

I don’t think anyone needs a biologist degree to figure out that if you have that much pressure there is an impact.

Perch fishing first ice isn’t terrible. 8-9in fish can be caught. By the end of Feb. people picked out about everything 7in and above. Sure you catch fish non stop for perch at 6in an under at the end of February. Thank goodness it has all open water season to recover since it’s a party boat lake. Just be nice if they had a lower limit on perch and an 8 or 9in length. Has far as Gills…they don’t need to change it. Crappie could use the help like the perch.

I mean when the bait shops flip out about someone catching a 12 perch on those lakes…..somethings wrong it shouldn’t be uncommon.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
We have to rely on the experts to set sustainable limits based on their best information for that body of water. Sportsmans need and wants are only a part of the equation the economic part of this is a major factor like it or not.
True, but we need to remember that biologists have their biases, too. The case of panfish limits is a good one. For decades both the conventional wisdom and the science said you couldn't over fish them and the best solution to a stunted population was to keep as many as possible. Now there's mounting evidence that's completely backwards and some states are changing limits to reflect that but in others the biologists are stuck in the old ways and refuse to accept it. We as fishermen can push them to accept the change.

Quote:
Well up this way besides the rivers. ALL walleye are stocked into the lakes there is no natural reproduction to speak of in them.
Another example of fisheries managers and biologists being stuck in old thinking. "If the fish are stocked they're there for food, not to grow to larger sizes." This attitude is rapidly changing among fishermen and slowly among managers. More and more people would rather catch a bunch and keep a few than catch a few but, "hoo boy, there was that one time we slayed 'em". I'll admit that walleye fishermen are at the back of the pack for this change but it is changing. And managers are starting to become aware of it; we can push them to be more aware.

The link below is the new draft management plan for Michigan. As you can see there's a few years of research that went into it, indicating that the managers have been aware of changing attitudes for a while. Inside there are several options to change the limit from 5/15". There's also pressure to save money by stocking less and a surprising, to me anyway, number of lower peninsula waters that have variable natural reproduction as opposed to none. Growing acceptance of lower limits/higher catch rates plus a push to save money can change things fast. If you're not interested in history and hydrology there's plenty to skim over.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...n_716827_7.pdf