Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
nutrasystem for men? (or other) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Dan 54

Default nutrasystem for men? (or other)

Ok both myself and my wife work, Shes away during the school year for 4-5 0f the 7 days a week.(college prof) stays at a condo over 100 miles from here. Furthermore she has to eat a special diet. So I find myself eating out (mainly take out ) because of my long hours at my work, even when she is home, we don't eat the same things..

So its kinda expensive, and no, I really don't want to spend much time preparing meals.I can and sometime do make simple things

So I see these ads for Nutrasystem for men. (other systems too s too) and I'm thinking they are probably healthier than what I end up with,..and no more expensive in the long run.

Add on top of this,although its more for convenience but .I certainly could lose a few lbs. and they try to reduce your calories per meal.

Oh I'm sure they aren't super great but I find myself eating frozen Lean Cuisine meals or the like. Also not great but I like the idea that these meals are delivered to your home, I don't like to think of shopping much after 9pm,..after a 12 hour shift. Wondering if anyone tried these for a while or longer and what you thought of the program?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 54 View Post
Ok both myself and my wife work, Shes away during the school year for 4-5 0f the 7 days a week.(college prof) stays at a condo over 100 miles from here. Furthermore she has to eat a special diet. So I find myself eating out (mainly take out ) because of my long hours at my work, even when she is home, we don't eat the same things..

So its kinda expensive, and no, I really don't want to spend much time preparing meals.I can and sometime do make simple things

So I see these ads for Nutrasystem for men. (other systems too s too) and I'm thinking they are probably healthier than what I end up with,..and no more expensive in the long run.

Add on top of this,although its more for convenience but .I certainly could lose a few lbs. and they try to reduce your calories per meal.

Oh I'm sure they aren't super great but I find myself eating frozen Lean Cuisine meals or the like. Also not great but I like the idea that these meals are delivered to your home, I don't like to think of shopping much after 9pm,..after a 12 hour shift. Wondering if anyone tried these for a while or longer and what you thought of the program?
Dan;
I've seen those ads as well and am interested. The cost is not the issue but will it change my eating habits enough so I could eventually live without their meals. Anyone out there have direct experience with these?
Old 06-05-2021, 05:14 AM
Minnow

I'm 71 years old and twice in my lifetime (1980's and 2016) I lost significant weight on Nutri-System. Let me say it works well for weight loss but only temporarily, like most "diets" you will put the weight back on. Last October I decided I had to change my eating habits or go to a early grave, so I did some research and went low carb. I new I would not succeed on a regimented plan so I just started eating roasted or sauteed low carb veggies using only olive and avacado oils with my protein and no snacking. I've lost 70 lbs and feel great. Take a little time, on your day off to grocery shop and do a little prep work, and it can work well with a busy lifestyle. Search Keto and Intermittent Fasting to get backround and to help you develop a plan that will work for you. Don't step on a scale. Your NOT on a diet. Your getting Healthy to Lose weight NOT losing weight to get Healthy. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2021, 05:28 AM
Keeper

You still have transition to a reasonable diet to keep the weight off. Why not just do it now and save money by not shelling out for a meal plan. Calories in calories out is the key for most folks.
Just count your calories, go to a 2000 calorie a day diet and get some exercise. If you loose weight on that.....great, if not shave some more calories from your daily diet. Iím not knocking nutrŪ system, but itís not the be all to end all to long term loss and keeping it off
Old 06-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Keeper

The Noom program works well for some people. If you do want to change your eating habits for life, the Norm program is flexible enough that you don't have to go on a fad diet. You might try it and cancel after couple months if its not for you. i think the first month is free.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:42 AM
Dan 54

Thank you guys,

I really appreciate the input.

I guess my target for now is convenience. With travel time I'm working about 12 hours a day including weekends. It would be nice to just be able to pop things in the microwave when I get home. I also can take them to work with me as we have a microwave there.

So they give you five frozen breakfasts, five lunches, and five dinners, and five snacks. This is for $82. I spend more than that a week now Ye Gods, have you ever calculated on what you spend just on one person for a week's groceries these days? also I'm fairly sure the Neutrasystem stuff is probably more healthy then a lot of my take-out foods,... however a couple of times a week ,.sometimes three,. I found a place that I can call and do a nice big take-out salad which quenches my desire for greens.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Over the years I had several co-workers who needed to lose some weight and went with nutri system.

In each case, each person ended up losing their desired weight.

A couple of folks put weight back on - but most kept it off.

--------------------
I also have a relative that needed to use a significant amount of weight.
I do not know the specific name of the plan that he went with, but it involved seeing a counselor once a week. The advantage for my relative is that they knew that they had someone watching and being concerned with their well being and overall health.

He was on the plan for 3 years and lost all of his desired weight. In the last few years, he has put some of the weight back on - and he is planning on picking up with the plan again, because it works for him.

In his particular case, he is a bachelor and has no one to come home to, nor any one to share his day. So, unless he is careful, he will fill his alone time by snacking. He has other activities, so he has to relearn his good habits that when he thinks that he needs to snack, that he go involve himself in one of his Home projects again.

Best wishes, and do your best to be at your ideal weight as you age. Also, remember that as we age, our metabolism slows down and our body simply does not burn as many calories on an average day as when we were younger. It is not unusual for a fellow with a fairly quiet live style as they age to only need about 1000 calories a day.

----------------------
Any more when my wife and I go out for dinner, we will generally select a single item off the senior menu which is 1/3rd less to 1/2 less than the normal dinner menu. Then, we will split the sr. entre and we are both satisfied and full with our meals.

Simply put - older dudes and dudettes simply do not burn up as many calories as our younger selves did in our lives.

Take care and think thin.

p.s.
Absolutely go with Nutra systems for a meal plan. But as you eat their meals, take notes and learn items as well as portion size when you eat their food.

Then, as time goes by, and you phase out the Nutrisystem meal plan - remember the lessons you learned with respect to munu entre selection as well as portion size.

-------------------
Currently in the USA - the typical restaurant menu in many many restaurants give their patrons two or three times more food than is required and more than what they should be eating.

If you just went to a typical restaurant and ate 1/2 sized portions, you would be closer but still likely eating too much food at a sitting. Perhaps an entree of about 1/3rd of the typical entree would be closer to actual caloric needs of the typical restaurant patron.

-------------------
Over the years, I traveled a lot with my company. When I traveled to foreign countries - without exception the typical restaurant entree was generally about 1/3rd the size of their USA counterpart. We would enjoy the meal and each other's company in conversation and were not in a hurry when eating and we normally never left hungry.

So, eat slow, and eat small portions and you will be fine with nearly any meal choices.

No, it is NOT all right, nor is their any need to have 2nds if you either want to maintain or lose weight.
Be safe
Old 06-06-2021, 04:53 PM
Minnow

Have you read the reviews? They are only fair in terms of health, nutritional quality and taste. My wife tried it for two weeks and could barely stand to eat it. For the long term you are much better off learning to prepare healthy food on your own. For me it's very easy, lean meat (pork, chicken, beef), eggs, nuts, green vegetables, salads (bagged are more expensive but super easy) and fruit. Cheap, easy, healthy.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:31 AM
mk cant log in

A buddy has used the NutriSystem a couple of times. He lost about 30 lbs, in 60 days both times.

He put the weight back on over 2-3 years, that's why he's doing it again.

Its a good way to lose weight but then the difficult part is keeping it off. That takes changing some eating habits. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Dan 54

Thak you too REW and mk,..good unput, its appreciated!