Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gas, no more - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

Default Gas, no more

Well, occasionally. Long time ago, I cooked with coal, but because of the hassle I switched to gas. there is a place around here that has Italian sausage that is cooked to perfection. They cook it over coals. Well I am going back and going to buy a kettle grille. I still like gas for the ease, and quickness of cooking, no warm up, so to speak. But coals seem to give a better taste. So, any hints on what to look for in a kettle grille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Well, occasionally. Long time ago, I cooked with coal, but because of the hassle I switched to gas. there is a place around here that has Italian sausage that is cooked to perfection. They cook it over coals. Well I am going back and going to buy a kettle grille. I still like gas for the ease, and quickness of cooking, no warm up, so to speak. But coals seem to give a better taste. So, any hints on what to look for in a kettle grille.
I agree on a better flavor from coals over gas, but I've always been a little concerned about what the flavor is coming from (whether it's a byproduct of some toxins or not), in my younger less patience days there were many times I would begin cooking before the coals had greyed all the way and the food would have a faint lighter fluid smell or taste.
As far as grills, I'm sure there's some heavy duty one's like a Green Egg that will hold heat forever, but if you're just grilling and don't need coals to last 24 hours, I think the old Weber is hard to beat.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Keeper

I think that the food taste better over a bed of hot coals. However with work and running the kids to hockey practice 6 nights a week, the gas grille is was faster and convenient.

I do fire up the coals on a weekend when time allows.
Yamaha 9.9 HP
Lowrance Elite FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

Cooking meat is just like making love.

Some days you just need to get it done and gas is the way to go.

Some days you have the time, energy and no kids around so you can give her the deluxe charcoal package.

Once in a while, you need an all day smoker to get it perfect.

There's enough gas guys out there...I'm glad you are switching to charcoal
Old 03-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Wallhanger

At the end of last year......late October I purchased a egg style grill from Sam's Club......actually got a $559 grill for only $199 however, I didn't get to use more then 2 times and our weather went south......so I'm really anxious to get back out on the deck in a couple more weeks to fire it up again.

I did some research after I purchased it and you can use LUMP Charcoal or natural wood but NOT briquettes because they are soaked in chemicals that will transfer it's taste to the ceramic pot inside the egg grill........meanwhile I have about 200 lbs of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes in my work shop......LOL.....but I also have a Weber Kettle Grill so they wouldn't go to waste.

I actually prefer just about anything cooked over good natural hard woods.......but charcoal is a close second....and of course you need a gas grill to grill something real fast if you don't have a lot of time or are REALLY Hungry......LOL

LET THE GRILLING SEASON BEGIN ! ! !
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

Looking around, it appears Weber is the way to go. Every where I look the price is the same, 165.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Keeper

Default grill

I cant help you with kittle grill but I use a grill from pilot rock park equipment. If you want a grill that will last you 30 yrs they are ones. I also like to start my coals with a charcoal chimey.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffishman View Post
Looking around, it appears Weber is the way to go. Every where I look the price is the same, 165.
Be careful which Weber Kettle grill you get because there are SO many models and you might not even notice the slight differences when you buy one.

Their basic model doesn't have temp gauge on the hood, only has a ash "tray" below the kettle and the most important item it doesn't come with the heavier grilling grate that is hinged on both sides to add charcoal if needed while cooking something for a long time.

BTW Sam's Club had a knock off Weber that came with all the above extras for a little bit less then a Weber.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

you might get lucky to find one of these in your area, these are clearance prices that have been going on for some time now

just insert a few local zip codes to see if they are in stock locally

Weber Performer Premium 22" Charcoal Grill Black, Home Depot In-store Clearance $88
Your Milage May Vary
https://brickseek.com/home-depot-inv...?sku=205504258

Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill 22" Walmart
https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent.../?sku=42432677

i see two of these in stock locally to me at $40

edit:
Not a weber, but more of a smoker/grill
https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=927926251
I see two of these in my area as well for $49

Last edited by cyber16; 03-12-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

My friend bought the Weber 22" Performer with a built in propane igniter. It's a nice kettle.