Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Muskie Rod Selection - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Minnow

Default Muskie Rod Selection

Hey all,

I am looking to start my muskie journey as soon as the fall, so I am planning my purchases. I have been looking at the Shimano Compre line of rods, but I think that I need an 8' or 8'6". I don't want an XH or XXH rod because the baits that I am going to throw are just too small for that type of rod.

Here's my dilemma: I can't find Shimano Compre rods in 8' or 8'6" with MH or H powers, which would be ideal. I am only 5' 9", but I'll still probably grow. I don't want to pay much more than the Compre costs at this point, so do you have any suggestions for such a rod.

I've looked into the St. Croix Mojo Musky series, but I'd rather just get the Compre in these sizes described because it'll cost less. If you know of any place that I can get one, let me know please.

I'll likely be pairing the rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

acafisherman19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Keeper

Default TI Rods

Get in touch with James at tackle industries. He'll likely be able to help and his rods would be in a similar price range.

Tell him J-Man from Lake of the Woods sent you.
Morson, Ontario, Canada
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Keeper

dont worry abought your hight im 5'8" and had thorn bros build me a 9'8"rod its great easy to do the figure 8 with the long rod if it was me i would stay away from the ti rods i bought one will never buy another one give thorn bros a call tell them what your looking for they will hook you up just tell them what you want and what your looking for
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Keeper

Default over budget

if you up your budget, yes..thorne is the way to go..if you wqant to spend around $100, don't even look into a Thorne rod because it will tease and taunt you til you drop anywhere from $250 to $500.

I LOVE my thorne rods and will be getting more as time goes on, but they are way out of your budgeted amount at this point.

Also, it would be a crime to buy a thorne rod and put a chinese made/assembled Abu on it. You'll want to go higher end on the reel with a quality rod like a Thorne custom.
Morson, Ontario, Canada
Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Wallhanger

look at Tackle industries rods. $120 shipped. Can't go wrong, great rods. Get the Heavy, or XH and you can throw anything from 1 0z to 7 oz without issue.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Keeper

yes thorn bros rods are great cant beat them but they do sell cheaper rods thorn bros rods is all ill ever buy but i have bought thorn bros cheap rods when i first started out musky fishing as time went buy bought better rods sold my old rods
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Keeper

I am not a fan of the new compre series. The old ones were great but seems they added a significant amount of weight. I have a 7'6 that i bought last year before they "redesigned' them. Between the two you mentioned I would go with the mojo.