Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Kids gear - going broke buying it. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks for all the response and suggestions. I need to spend more time in the bargain cave - there is one 25 minutes from me. And buying a little in advance in sizes would be good too.

I do appreciate the time I spend with my children, and times are going quick, and yes, fishing and hunting is much better choice than needing rehab!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Cheapskate dad

I wouldn't spend 5 seconds in the Cabelas bargain cave. I buy my kids stuff online for hardly anything. Buy the cheapest one of whatever you are buying. It will only get used 10 times and mostly on nice days. Buy a blind for deer hunting. One kid is bright pink, one is bright yellow, so what, blind is camoed. When I found a sale on boots one time I bought 5 sizes. $40 for boots it was a long time before we needed more. The definition of quality is good enough, not the highest priced. Good luck. I spend more trying to keep kids in regular clothes than outdoor gear.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate dad View Post
I wouldn't spend 5 seconds in the Cabelas bargain cave. I buy my kids stuff online for hardly anything. Buy the cheapest one of whatever you are buying. It will only get used 10 times and mostly on nice days. Buy a blind for deer hunting. One kid is bright pink, one is bright yellow, so what, blind is camoed. When I found a sale on boots one time I bought 5 sizes. $40 for boots it was a long time before we needed more. The definition of quality is good enough, not the highest priced. Good luck. I spend more trying to keep kids in regular clothes than outdoor gear.
get out west and you dont use blinds. And my kid hunts on nice and not nice days and walking a few miles is always involved so cheap boots are not good enough. **** he uses his stuff just playing out side all winter and ice fishing staying dry and warm keeps them out longer.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Lake Wisconsin;4705962 . . .

I do appreciate the time I spend with my children, and times are going quick, and yes, fishing and hunting is much better choice than needing rehab![/QUOTE]

I think you just identified the key. It's really not about the stuff you and they buy, have or use, its about spending time.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Slot Fish

Hunting clothing??? I have 3 boys. Hunting clothing is old army surplus gear a couple sizes too big over top of their warm clothes. Boots are their regular winter boots. Teach them to sit still and you won't need much in the way of camo. My kids have hunted and fished in weather ranging from perfect to nasty. Not to many complaints from them. I wouldn't buy hunting specific gear until they have stopped growing.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Wisconsin View Post
Maybe a bit of a rant, and a bit of question – I have introduced my children (age 11 and 6) to my passions of hunting and fishing. My son has really taken a liking to it, but my pocketbook is taking a beating to keep up with his growing needs. I bought a pair of hunting boot for him last fall. For spring turkey hunting, they already don’t fit. I try to buy good gear so he is comfortable while doing these sports. I have looked to buy used gear on Craigslist without any luck to date. Ebay hasn’t worked either. What have others had success doing so you didn’t go broke buying kids gear?
I buy on sale at all times of the year. The first few years, I bought clothes that would just get them by until I knew they'd like it or not.

Boots is really my biggest expense. They grow out of one or two sizes every year. I bought a jacket that was 2 sizes too big when they were smaller, so they'd have them for a few seasons. I don't buy top of the line because it's just not worth it when they'll use it for 10 days a year. When they quit growing, then I'll top shelf.

My boy that deer hunts with me doesn't know his gear isn't Sitka, but he still sits all day. Keeping him interested is much easier when he's warm, so we pack bibs and a blanket in the pack.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Hat Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post
This explains why we never have kids coming by to shovel snow or cut the grass for extra money anymore.

Al
Funny you mention that. My boy wants a shotgun and a cell phone. He's 10. He's been researching used lawnmowers on craigslist and trying to find a way we can build a trailer for his bike so he can get some lawns mowed in the neighborhood.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Funny you mention that. My boy wants a shotgun and a cell phone. He's 10. He's been researching used lawnmowers on craigslist and trying to find a way we can build a trailer for his bike so he can get some lawns mowed in the neighborhood.
That's awesome Hat Trick! Help him get his business set up and that will be the best thing you ever do for him! Learning how to earn things yourself at a young age!

I wish we could find a good boy or girl to do that work for my Mom's house! Heck, I was that kid back 35 years ago, now they are hard to find, it seems.

To answer the OP question, I recommend getting stuff that isn't truly waterproof, but still camo. Much cheaper Then have a set of camo or tan Frogg Toggs in larger size for IF he/she ever does the activity in the rain. Most likely won't, and the price savings will be huge, and it will keep then just as dry and comfy.

For littler kids, just get a large camo hoodie that fits over their winter jacket and snow pants. That has worked for kids and grown ups for years

with that said, I have bought some pretty nice stuff for the grandkids, so I am a bit of hypocrite, haha! Most has come from Cabelas major sales after the seasons are over, and at least a size too big, on purpose.

It is all fun though, seeing little "mini-me's" in cool camo and rubber boots

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!