Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Onix vs "old tech" Humminbirds - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-27-2014, 06:29 AM
Keeper

Default Onix vs "old tech" Humminbirds

Question for Dr. H and other Humminbird experts......

First for Jason, just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying both of your DVD's so far. Excellent work. So much great info to maximize my time on the water, if I could only remember more of the stuff in the DVD's!

Been thinking about doing another upgrade this spring on my electronics. Currently I have an 898, (not HD), and a 788 HD. I have the boat set up so the 788 can be used on my Terrova, in the front, or moved to the console when trolling big water. (I have mounts on both places, just plug it in the mount). When on the big water I move the 788 to the console and just use it for mapping so I can have the whole screen on the 898. Everything is networked, the Terrova has the iLink.

Originally my thoughts were to leave the 898 on the console and add the Onix 10, after watching Jason's DVD's I really like how the Onix is set up. My 788 will stay with the trolling motor. However, as I do more research it appears the Onix can not be networked with anything else I own, only Onix units. Is it possible a software change could make networking compatible if Hummingbird is so inclined or are they so totally different it can not be accomplished?

Finally, if I just went with the 1199, am I giving up a lot of functionality the Onix has other then the better menu/touch screen? I'm pretty comfortable with the current menus the Hummingbirds use but hate to buy "old" tech, if the 1199 can be considered old tech.

As always, enjoy hearing from all of you with your thoughts.

Thanks and have a great, safe new year.

Paul C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

I had an 898 for 3 years and now own an Onix 10 only. I am an expert by no means but here is a couple of main differences and I absolutely think its worth the extra money to upgrade.

1)Much sharper than the 898

2)Autochart Live (this feature was enough alone for me to switch)

3)Cross touch and the toggle stick combo is awesome vs just the keys (at least twice as fast)

4)DI is better

5)You can touch screen on any interesting object/waypoint/trail/fish/baitfish and the trolling motor will drive you right there----so slick

6)Easier to navigate menu and views

Hope this helps.....
Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

Paul,

First, thanks for the positive feedback on our Technological Angler videos. If you liked Volume 2, then you're sure to enjoy the upcoming Volume 3 as well. Lots more ONIX content, as well as new information on the "old tech" Core series of units.

You asked if the ONIX series will ever be able to talk with the Core series units. I haven't heard anything from my factory contacts to suggest that is possible or planned. The ONIX (and ION) series of units represent a true quantum leap in hardware and software, and as such, interfacing them to the older units would represent a significant challenge. Think about it this way: imagine you worked for Samsung. Would it make sense for you to design an interface such that the new Galaxy tablet communicated perfectly with a 386 PC sitting in the back of the warehouse? No, you want those tablet engineers to think forward and not backward.

What can the ONIX do that the 1199 can't? Beyond the interface, the ONIX features 100% digital signal processing for incredibly clean SI, DI and 2D sonar. The ONIX has its own dedicated DI crystal in its transducer, allowing you to do things like run 455 kHz for SI and 800 kHz for DI (a killer combination!). The ONIX gives you AutoChart Live to make your own maps on the water. The ONIX gives you access to SmartStrike to make your time on the water more productive....more catching and less searching. AutoChart Live and SmartStrike are just the beginning of what the ONIX platform can do, and these are features that are not headed to the Core series of units.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are new "non-touch" ONIX units coming out this winter. All of the ONIX features you want, but with a traditional button/joystick/keypad interface. These will have MSRPs significantly lower than the touch units. I think that a very common configuration in the coming year or so will be to have a touch SI unit at the helm, like the ONIX 10 SI, and non-touch units at other fishing stations to reap the benefits of ONIX but keep the costs down at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Keeper

Default Thanks

Thanks Codeblue and Jason,

Codeblue, I do struggle seeing the screen on the 898 in brighter conditions, pretty much making it impossible to use in the side imaging and down imaging modes. I was planning on leaving the 898 on the console for mapping, but don't think I could use it for anything networked. I can't imagine not networking the Onix to the iLink but then not sure what would be the point of using the 898 for mapping. (Can you tell its almost January in the north, to much thinking time)

Jason, it appeared on your DVD, #2, you were laying out waypoints using the Onix, such as in the deepwater part and then you went back and fished them with the Terrova and the 1199. Is that possible, marking waypoints on the Onix on your console and then using the Terrova on the front to motor to them. I'm thinking you were actually using the go to function on the Onix??? They don't share correct?

Could you share how you have your system networked with the Onix and your 1199 or is the 1199 just a stand alone unit, and if so, do you feel your missing out on anything due to not being networked?

Thank you both, and if anyone else has any thoughts they'd be much appreciated. Lots of brain power on Walleye Central!

Paul C.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)

I thought Bill Carson said the 2D was all that was the only item that was "pure digital" ???

INSERT PIN DROP HERE:.......................

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V

Last edited by sfw1960; 01-28-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)
Thumbs down

Yeah, that's WHAT I THOUGHT.

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V