Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
new proposed regulations - Manitoba - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Minnow

Default new proposed regulations - Manitoba

There is a new proposed regulation for the province of Manitoba, that is causing a real stir. Basically the new reg will be that for the Red River & Winnipeg River (Pine Falls) no fish over 70cms (28 inch) maybe be kept. Making this story short, there is a petition etc being started to stop this. Question, what is your view ?

Good Fishen
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 02:02 AM
NWO Fishing Bum

Default RE: new proposed regulations - Manitoba

What's the problem? I don't see what the stir is all about. Nobody catching a fish that size should be keeping it now, and nobody should have been keeping them all through the 70's either (which caused the plight of many fisheries-severe harvesting of the main reproducers). If there's a problem, it's that over 70cm isn't good enough. I would rather see nothing over 50 cm, or nothing over 45 cm!! The best meals are made with walleyes 30-45 cm anyway. And there is absolutely no justification for skin mounts anymore, none. So there is no reason why this proposed change should stir anybody.

NWO Fishing Bum
Old 04-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Exactly, save a fish, buy a digital camera.

W5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

I would agree...no need to keep a fish of that size at all. Plus, with a fish of that size, you would be getting the highest concentration of PCB's, Mercury, and other pollutants that the fish has ingested if you bring it to the frying pan.

About the only argument I could even fathom on keeping an extremely large fish is the "Possible" situation that the fish is past it's most productive spawning age, and thus is not a significant contributor to replenishing the population, and if allowed to spawn, could actually hinder the population since the eggs may never hatch/develop.

That said, it is NOT what I would practice, but one possible argument against a length limit. I would have no clue if there is proof of this happening, so it is more tongue and cheek...not a fact...

Steve
Old 04-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

I think the recreational anglers should just swallow it. The rec anglers always complain about the commercial netting, whether it be lake Winnipeg or LOTW, and they have to realize that if anything is going to be restricted first, it's the rec fishing. Maybe if they agree to strict regulations, they'll have a small chance in He11 to impose more strict commercial netting regs.

Also, I don't know how many eggs in those big fish are viable, but seeing as they did make it that big, I would assume they have the superior genetics, so one of their "fertile" eggs is worth more than one from a 20 " fish.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Minnow

Great idea--save the spawners
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Im in Sask. and agree 100% and maby it should be an even smaller size limit. All you have to do is look at the river run in the fall at Tobin to see how a fishery can collaps when all the big fish are killed.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:06 AM
dually

And there is
>absolutely no justification for skin mounts anymore, none.

What if the angler wants a mount that actually looks real? No replicant looks as good as the real thing, nope none.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Duh

Easy answer....RELEASE
Old 04-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Brian D

If they don't make changes to the regulations soon . they will be fighting over the commecial perch fishing and perch general fishing in lake Wpg.
Years ago , ( not counting slot size body of waters ) we only keep them between 14" and 18" in all lakes and river's we fish
The green back run is legendary . Let's keep it that way !