Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can you have a PD i pilot and a foot pedal - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Minnow

Default Can you have a PD i pilot and a foot pedal

Just bought a new Lund and thought I was getting a terrova but they installed a power drive the guy told me it saved me a few bucks and if I wanted a foot pedal I could just buy one. I order one and hooked it up but it won't steer. It came with the I pilot so I don't have the other head. Will it work. I don't know if they will take the motor back. I hope they would the whole package was a lot of money. I called him and he said it should work. Let me know if I am doing something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Slot Fish

A PD with I-pilot will not allow the foot pedal to work.
I have seen two different ways to add a switch box / or switch that would allow you to use the foot pedal.
Do a search here for one of them.
I would bet that either would void your warrant.

After buying a boat 2-3 years ago, next time, the exact type and cost of add on's will be in writing. Also the cost to install them.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

No the Powerdrive V2 will not allow the foot pedal and the I-pilot to work at the same time and it sucks. You disconnect the pedal when installing the I-pilot. I have been told the Terrova is digital and the PD is analog and that's why. I would make every attempt to get the "guy" to take it back and replace it. In many cases when both hands are busy fishing, grabbing for the remote is a pain. For the nickels and dimes difference between the PD and Terrova, I don't understand why they even make the PD. It is just an inferior product IMO. Difficult to stow and deploy compared to the Terrova, doesn't automatically shut off like the Terrova does when stowed, and mine ran down the battery while plugged in. I gave mine away with my last boat and had a Terrova put on the new one. I love the Terrova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Wallhanger

When I bought my new boat I almost went with PD V2 upgraded with the I pilot but found out you couldn't use the pedal and the remote together. I went with the terrova just because of that.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

I have modified my Powerdrive motor with an I-Pilot to use my foot pedal. You need to disconnect the round I-Pilot plug and plug in the foot pedal though. So you are only able to use one at a time. The modification requires you to install a DPDT switch for the steering motor controls. Here's a PM I sent to a fellow on the conversion. It will not work on an Auto Pilot motor converted to an I-Pilot.

Here's some info from a thread I made on the conversion.

I installed a switch in my Powerdrive so that I could use either. It's a simple procedure, but you have to unplug one, then plug in the other. You can't have them both working at the same time. The switch will only work on a non auto pilot V2.

Here's a copy of a PM I sent to a fellow on the modification I made.

Here's a link for switches,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

Scroll down till you see the diagram for a DPDT switch. On the diagram, the 2 terminals on the right of the switch would be the black and white wires running to the steering motor. On the left side of the diagram, there are 4 terminals. One set of terminals would be for the black and white wires coming from your control board which you had to disconnect when installing the I-pilot. The other set would be for the black and white wires from the I-pilot. You can see it is very simple. The only modification you did when installing the I-pilot was to switch the steering motor wires from the control board to the I-pilot. This toggle switch will allow you to switch back and forth between the two when you plug the foot pedal in, or the I-pilot. I bought this switch from Radio Shack, 275-0666 DPDT heavy duty toggle switch. Using this switch, the center 2 terminals would be for the wires from the steering box. The end terminals would be for each set of from the I-pilot and control board. Keep the black wires on 1 side of the switch, and the white wires on the other side. Obviously you can only have either the I-pilot or the foot pedal plugged into the round connector on the motor. When you change over, just flip the switch. I'm surprised MinnKota didn't offer something like this. Perhaps they didn't because it will only work with the non auto pilot powerdrives. PS As a precaution, I would disconnect power before switching back and forth.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default v2 ipilot no foot pedal

But then again it's not that big loss heck even with old remote style my pedal sat in compartment whole time. Just be glad you have remote!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

Talk to your dealer and ask them what they can do.

After fishing with my Terrova, I would have a hard time not being able to use my remote and my pedal at the same time.

-Eli
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

The same limitations will exist with i-Pilot Link.

Terrova/i-Pilot Link users will be able to use the foot pedal to provide speed/direction input, in addition to the remote (and, of course, their compatible Humminbird fish finder).

PowerDrive V2/i-Pilot users will provide all input by remote or by using their compatible Humminbird fish finder. Foot pedal input is disabled when using a PD-V2 system.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Minnow

Default all fixed

the dealersip is swaping it out, he said it was his mistake and would take the power drive back and put a terrvoa on it. Thanks for all the help
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhandy View Post
the dealersip is swaping it out, he said it was his mistake and would take the power drive back and put a terrvoa on it. Thanks for all the help
Customer Service.

-Eli