Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2014 150 Etec HO - who’s got one - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Minnow

Default 2014 150 Etec HO - who’s got one

About to put money down on a 2014 1880 vs with a 150 ETec

I know they’ve had their issues before, but don’t see much being posted on the newer years.

Is this a decent motor? Don’t want to get into the whole 4s debate. This is the only 1880 I can find at a reasonable price.

Only has 35 hours on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfisherman432 View Post

I know they’ve had their issues before, but don’t see much being posted on the newer years.

Is this a decent motor? Don’t want to get into the whole 4s debate. This is the only 1880 I can find at a reasonable price.

Only has 35 hours on it.

You’re going to start another debate here, but my two cents is that if this is the boat at the price point you want, go for it. The only etec owner I know is very happy with his motor. Just do your due diligence on the motor and maintenance (of which I don’t think there is much). Check to see if the warranty is transferable. Maybe you can have a dealer check the motor out before the purchase.

Frank
Old 03-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Minnow

[/QUOTE]You’re going to start another debate here, but my two cents is that if this is the boat at the price point you want, go for it. The only etec owner I know is very happy with his motor. Just do your due diligence on the motor and maintenance (of which I don’t think there is much). Check to see if the warranty is transferable. Maybe you can have a dealer check the motor out before the purchase.

Frank[/QUOTE]

Was hoping to avoid a debate. Just wanted feedback from that year.

32k for an 1880vs - 150 ETec - 9.9 kicker. Among other things. Only 30 hours. Too good to pass up I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Keeper

As far as I’m know that should be the most up to date version of the G1. They really haven’t made to many changes on them. I would absolutely buy that package. And be sure to post back how you like the motor. I had a 150 and a 175 G1 and really liked them both. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2019, 05:25 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 2013 E-TEC 60 hp for a short time until I traded up to a larger boat with a 2015 90 HO. Both have been bullet proof and would purchase another....many advantages of a 2 stroke E-TEC you will enjoy.......like the self winterization done in less then 2 minutes at the launch or in your driveway and no oil changes. You will get a unbelievable hole shot that will set you back in your seat. The first time I put the hammer down my fishing buddy sitting on the port side behind the console, the seat swung around and he fell right off the seat and onto the floor.....I got to admit it was f funny......he and I still laugh about it.

As mentioned check on what warranty that motor comes with......if it was originally purchased during the winter months it could have a 5 year, 7 year or "maybe" a 10 year warranty all of which is transferable to you. Or it could have a regular 3 year warranty that has already expired.

How do you know it only has 35 hours on the motor and if true that's like buying a new outboard. You can get a COMPLETE engine report from the dealer if he just connects the motor to his laptop.....it will tell you how many hours at each RPM range and MANY more tid bits of info.

Bob
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-14-2019, 12:23 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfisherman432 View Post

Only has 35 hours on it.
I have the exact motor on my '14 1850LS. Can't say a bad word about the motor, albeit I don't have a lot of hours on it, it's never caused me one bit of grief (knock on wood lol). Something that impressed me with it is, I worked out of state for two summers where the boat never left the garage. I had properly winterized it the fall before I left for work, and upon returning and using the boat for the first time in 2 1/2 years, the motor fired up like it was ran the day before.
Performance wise I think the best I've got out of it was 45 mph gps with the 4 blade prop that came with it. Your boat with some extra weight from a kicker, etc, I would expect low to mid 40's. The one other thing that has impressed me is the holeshot. It jumps up on plane in a heartbeat with the 4 blade prop.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:15 PM
Slot Fish

I do not have one, but have a similar boat and I agree that is a great price.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Slot Fish

Have a 2015 1880 with an Etec 150 HO. Approaching 300 hours. Great motor. Heavy boat and you will like the torque of the Etec. 45-48 top end depending on load. Starts instantly, strong acceleration, good fuel economy, low maintenance, etc.

Two minor issues for me. Overheat alarm when new.......only when at awkward barely on plane but still plowing a bit speeds. You needed to be at this speed for awhile and I discovered it when running in heavy seas on Green Bay. Did not happen if you got on comfortable plane or at lower speeds. A different PRV spring installed in cooling system cured it - covered under warranty. No Oil alarm caused by air bubble in oil system at about 250 hours. Cured by running the winterizing sequence. Neither caused me to lose time on the water.

Etec owners group site (google it) is a great resource.

I hope to have another Etec on my next boat.

Happy shopping.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Keeper

I have a 2015 150 HO on a Reata with over 300 hours.
Had the no oil alarm issue and after taking it to two dealers the problem was resolved pretty painlessly at the second. They replaced the pump assembly under warranty. First was just a run around basically so dealer does matter when it comes to support. I didn't buy the boat from either of them.
Outside of that I have nothing negative to say and I love way it starts runs and sips gas....I second the low 40's for speed loaded.

Oh and if you don't buy the boat please send me the sellers contact info!!!!