Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Green Bay Fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Keeper

Default Green Bay Fishing

Got in late on Friday to a county park and set up the camp site. Was able to launch the boat and hit the water with two friends. Only got 4 walleyes for the evening bite, but I became the sheep head king for the evening. Couldn't get the hang of the snap jigging lures as a lot of other boats were performing and hitting fish after fish. I will have to work on that skill. Saturday we were up and out before first light. Hit the same area with only a few boats and started to pick up some fish in the 17 to 19 foot range depth. Boats were quick to hit the same area, and it looked like an armada out there with everyone playing well in the sand box. Planer boards, snap jigging, and even slip bobbers were seen from other boats. We used planer boards with spinner rigs and crawlers and also flat lined 2 other spinner rigs. Fishing was steady with an occasional flash of multiple fish on. The most consistent producer was the flat line spinner rigs at 1.1 to 1.5 MPH. 14 nice fish for the morning and many more released. Left before the storms rolled in. A great day with friends and good fishing to boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Keeper

Default Green Bay Report

Well I can say I am very frustrated with GB this year. I have only been fishing there for a few years. I have had mixed results. I use the Oconto ramp quite a bit. I went out to a reef complex on Saturday about 9 miles towards Door county. I marked plenty of fish. I was primarily running boards with cranks but did try some snap jigging. Another trip this year with nothing to show. Thinking I need to drive a few more hours to Erie and leave this place alone.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Keeper

This was my first time fishing Green Bay. Made it out 5 times with various success. When the water was warmer they were on the Oconto Shoals and were hitting steady. As the water cooled, I got a tip from a former guide as we were pulling our boat out. He was launching, and asked how we did. I put out a big thumbs down. He asked what techniques we were using. We had tried spinner rigs, cranks, and jigs and we bombed for the morning. He makes his own snap jigging lure and I bought (6) of them. He asked us to re-launch the boat and follow them out. He would show us how to use his lures. He actually boarded our boat to give us some tips on how to use his lure. We ended up with (4) very nice walleyes and lost a number at the boat. It's a work in progress learning how to find and catch those eyes with techniques I have never used. Plan on Erie myself next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergiefish View Post
Got in late on Friday to a county park and set up the camp site. Was able to launch the boat and hit the water with two friends. Only got 4 walleyes for the evening bite, but I became the sheep head king for the evening. Couldn't get the hang of the snap jigging lures as a lot of other boats were performing and hitting fish after fish. I will have to work on that skill. Saturday we were up and out before first light. Hit the same area with only a few boats and started to pick up some fish in the 17 to 19 foot range depth. Boats were quick to hit the same area, and it looked like an armada out there with everyone playing well in the sand box. Planer boards, snap jigging, and even slip bobbers were seen from other boats. We used planer boards with spinner rigs and crawlers and also flat lined 2 other spinner rigs. Fishing was steady with an occasional flash of multiple fish on. The most consistent producer was the flat line spinner rigs at 1.1 to 1.5 MPH. 14 nice fish for the morning and many more released. Left before the storms rolled in. A great day with friends and good fishing to boot.
Green Bay will always produce but you have to be versatile in your approach due to factors that can change day to day and even in the same day. Weather and water temp have can create big changes in what you will do. Where and what worked today won't always work the next day especially on GB at times. As for the snap jigging try using a hair jig above the reefs or weed beds, let it sink give it a snap up and let it sink, little lift and drop and reel up the excess and repeat. This works well on calm days. use braid and watch line. You will see the bite a lot of times before you feel it.
When you get some chop planner boards all the way. Right now live baits are producing better. Once you start to figure it out it only gets better.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 10-05-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Walleye fishing on the Bay is excellent right now, with fish being taken both north and south. Shiver minnows, blade baits and hair jigs have dominated the catch in my boat, with colors in purple and black being best. The musky bite is also in full swing, with trolled cranks like shallow raiders, super shad raps, lil ernie, shallow invaders and grandma's being best.

Capt Jerry
Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Keeper

Default Green Bay Report

Thanks to all for your reply. I guess I will have to invest in some guided trips. I learned what I know about Erie that same way. I can typically catch fish anywhere. Thus year GB has been tough for my boat. I can pay for a lot of trips to Erie for a couple of guided trips to GB.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the information Captain Jerry. Are they staging at any particular depth as the water cools? Are they still on the Shoal? Trying to find a day when the wind is not gale force to make another run.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm finding most of my fish near current breaks and along deep drop-offs. Shivers are really dominating the catch, along with jigging raps and hair jigs. Depth depends upon the structure fished. Deep edges north have been the rule, while fish south are in 7-10'.

Capt Jerry