Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger mechanical plug - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Slot Fish

Default Ranger mechanical plug

Good idea in theory but have found it to be pretty useless. I’ve busted the cable for 3rd time. Never works right anyway going “in” have to finish off with your hands. Has always had a slow leak. Has anyone abandoned the red plug and gone with something different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C. View Post
Good idea in theory but have found it to be pretty useless. I’ve busted the cable for 3rd time. Never works right anyway going “in” have to finish off with your hands. Has always had a slow leak. Has anyone abandoned the red plug and gone with something different?

Got the same set up on my Triton. Have not broke then cable yet but the “red plug” never seals up very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Keeper

That sucks.....I wonder how many other people have this same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 04:12 PM
Wallhanger

That’s exactly why I didn’t order them on my last two Rangers. Went with the standard screw in plug as I’m down there to tighten the straps anyway
Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Ranger Team

I have it on my 2020 ranger 620 fs and it has worked perfectly. The first couple of time I had a little water in the bilge are, but since then it has been dry.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:31 AM
Wallhanger

I have em in both boats. Ive broken the cable once. I have had em 6 years and found this to work best for me:

1. make sure you have a good lube on the seating ring in the plug. I use silgel for lube. for the first few years, I didn't pay attn to keeping it lubed and this caused my cable to break utimately. now I keep that ring lubed well and dont have issues.its water tight... but part of that is I also...

2. alway push the plug in using the transom saver. this keeps me off my knees. I simply take the TS off and while there, use the one end of the TS to push the plug shut. Easy Peazy.

3 at end of day I use the switch to drain it or push the plug out.

I well say the few times I have launched without the plug by accident, closing the plug was easier than getting it back on the trailer to screw in the plug.

the lube is the critical part.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-10-2020 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
I have em in both boats. Ive broken the cable once. I have had em 6 years and found this to work best for me:

1. make sure you have a good lube on the seating ring in the plug. I use silgel for lube. for the first few years, I didn't pay attn to keeping it lubed and this caused my cable to break utimately. now I keep that ring lubed well and dont have issues.its water tight... but part of that is I also...

2. alway push the plug in using the transom saver. this keeps me off my knees. I simply take the TS off and while there, use the one end of the TS to push the plug shut. Easy Peazy.

3 at end of day I use the switch to drain it or push the plug out.

I well say the few times I have launched without the plug by accident, closing the plug was easier than getting it back on the trailer to screw in the plug.

the lube is the critical part.

How often do you re-lube it?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post
How often do you re-lube it?
sorry its Napa Sil-Glyde

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351

as soon as it start feeling kinda dry and rough to push in, Ill get a little dab on my finger and apply it all the way around the ring

maybe 2-3 times a year.

I don't think you can over lube it, but you only need enough to make it nice and smooth. you want something that doesnt harm the rubber o-ring.

I have found the remote drain plugs are not bullet proof, but very good with some basic care and handling.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 08-10-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ranger mechanical plug

It was on a stock boat I bought on July 23. I have had it out 8 times and the plug as worked fine.