Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Going back to aluminum, need a windshield?? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-15-2020, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default Going back to aluminum, need a windshield??

So as the title says, I am going to list my zv18 in a few weeks and buy an aluminum boat. I'm not going into the discussion right now as to why I am going back. But anyway, I was looking at Lunds and Alumacraft and am patiently waiting for vexus to reveal the new lineup of aluminum multispecies boats. So my searching has led me to the Lund pro v bass/musky xs lineup. I really like the storage and the jump seats. I can still troll musky and walleye with it. I can add a bimini to keep the kids out of the sun if they are out. The big question is, will I regret not getting a boat with a full windshield? There have been a few times where that windshield has really been great but the older I get, the less I fish in those conditions unless it's a tournament. The family rarely goes out in the boat with me and if they do the conditions are perfect so it's not that imperative to have one for the family. What do you guys think? I mean bass boat guys run in all weather without them.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
So as the title says, I am going to list my zv18 in a few weeks and buy an aluminum boat. I'm not going into the discussion right now as to why I am going back. But anyway, I was looking at Lunds and Alumacraft and am patiently waiting for vexus to reveal the new lineup of aluminum multispecies boats. So my searching has led me to the Lund pro v bass/musky xs lineup. I really like the storage and the jump seats. I can still troll musky and walleye with it. I can add a bimini to keep the kids out of the sun if they are out. The big question is, will I regret not getting a boat with a full windshield? There have been a few times where that windshield has really been great but the older I get, the less I fish in those conditions unless it's a tournament. The family rarely goes out in the boat with me and if they do the conditions are perfect so it's not that imperative to have one for the family. What do you guys think? I mean bass boat guys run in all weather without them.

Based on what you are coming out of, and your fishing condition selection, you won't miss a windshield. I have fished and owned both styles. At my age, and with the weather conditions that I fish in, I prefer a windshield, but this is not about me.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Old 09-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

My Alumacraft 205 comp has been a much better fit for me than my fiberglass Ranger 1880. The ride is better, it's faster, and it has huge casting decks with tons of storage. I hated the storage on my 1880. Price was also inline with what I wanted to pay. Going on 3 years and no return to dealer. Hull is still tight with no leaks, I'm not kind to it. I'd take a look, in my view it's the best deep v casting platform in aluminum. Since the deck is very long on my 205, I feel the windshield doesn't get in the way. I mainly fish bass or cast for walleye on great lakes. No more lazy trolling for me.

Last edited by jjy; 09-15-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 01:45 PM
Keeper

I think the windshield will be a welcome respite from the wind when it's up. Nothing drives me crazier than a constant wind I can't escape. Also, if you've got a dog with you, it'll be happy to be behind the windshield when under-way.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
My Alumacraft 205 comp has been a much better fit for me than my fiberglass Ranger 1880. The ride is better, it's faster, and it has huge casting decks with tons of storage. I hated the storage on my 1880. Price was also inline with what I wanted to pay. Going on 3 years and no return to dealer. Hull is still tight with no leaks, I'm not kind to it. I'd take a look, in my view it's the best deep v casting platform in aluminum. Since the deck is very long on my 205, I feel the windshield doesn't get in the way. I mainly fish bass or cast for walleye on great lakes. No more lazy trolling for me.
The alumacraft competitor 205 is also on my short list of boats to consider. My windshield on my zv18 is never really in the way, I just really liked the layout of those pro v bass xs models and they don't have winshield options. I don't think I could ever give up trolling. Especially for musky. It's too productive of a technique to give up. It's also nice when you have teenagers who get bored easy. They can play on their phones until a rod goes off.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:53 PM
Slot Fish

I'm in almost the same boat. The windshield is great, especially when I have the kids (5 and 7) with me but honestly when I fish with em it's nice weather and we go slow anyways
If it's a tournament and it's windy it might be miserable but you won't be hiding, you'll be fishing!! And oh by the way...a full windshield will grab more wind than a SC or double bubble.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

EG,
I run a single console boat, that has a removable windshield.

The only time I have the windshield on the boat is in the spring and fall of the year when the temps are in the 40s and or when working really big water lakes where the waves may run big.

But, any more about 90% of the time I drive my wheel boat with no windshield and am very happy with the non windshield boat.

As a matter of fact, my wife were having a nice day on the lake and the bite was on, so as the sun set and the fishing got better, we decided to keep on fishing. So, we fished well into the night.

Then, with the sun down, as we drove off the lake, I was rather happy to have my Covid mask along. I make my own masks with elastic that goes around the back of my head. So, when not wearing the mask, I just leave it around my neck. So, on the last run of the night, I was happy to pull up my mask to give my face a bit of warmth from the rushing wind as we drove across the dark waters.

----------------------------
Also, when working cold and or inclement weather, I have snowmobile helmets with full face shields that I have used to protect the face. Especially in the early spring, doing a long drift with intermittent snow blasting your face, it is nice to put on your helmet, close the face shield and just grin at that driving wind and snow blasting the helmet.

When I was younger I had a full windshield and it was fine. But, then I went to a single console single windshield which has worked well for me and it actually makes a much better fishing machine with the much larger amount of room available in the boat.

Best wishes.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Keeper

Quote:

Do you think a 620 series would have been better for you than the 1880 and 205?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post
Do you think a 620 series would have been better for you than the 1880 and 205?
For my use, 80% smallmouth/largemouth, 10% walleye, 10% salmon/steelhead, the 205 is a better fit. Reasons I found, it has more and longer rod storage, it's more fuel efficient, run similar top speeds, don't get my feet wet in fall when 5' rollers splash over front deck, no fiberglass repair from shallow water damage, persons capacity is 8, easier to tow, and it cost almost half the price. My 205 is used 90% of the time on big water, the same water the big glass boats use. I have no issue keeping up or fishing the same rough conditions. I'd love to have a 620 as I think they are beautiful boats, but I'd rather buy a 205 and a 2nd boat with the money saved over purchasing a single 620.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
For my use, 80% smallmouth/largemouth, 10% walleye, 10% salmon/steelhead, the 205 is a better fit. Reasons I found, it has more and longer rod storage, it's more fuel efficient, run similar top speeds, don't get my feet wet in fall when 5' rollers splash over front deck, no fiberglass repair from shallow water damage, persons capacity is 8, easier to tow, and it cost almost half the price. My 205 is used 90% of the time on big water, the same water the big glass boats use. I have no issue keeping up or fishing the same rough conditions. I'd love to have a 620 as I think they are beautiful boats, but I'd rather buy a 205 and a 2nd boat with the money saved over purchasing a single 620.

This is exactly why I want to go back to aluminum. I showed the wife the prov bass models and my wife said I was gonna get p*ssed if I didn't get another WT windshield. Which means if I complain once about the boat I buy, I will be in trouble, lol. I guess I should buy another windshield boat. I actually found a nice 2020 Alumacraft trophy 205 Demo today that was rigged nicely for a nice price. I need to get some front deck measurements from the trophy to the competitor and see what the difference is.