Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Gas, no more - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

LAVA ROCKS
The key to flavor success, using a gas grill, it to cover the little "tents" over the burners with those red "lava rocks".
They absorb the juices from previous sessions and add back enough flavor in the next one to completely make you forget why you ever thought using a charcoal grill was better.
Chicken, pork, fish, beef - doesn't really matter what you cooked last time.
The "carryover" flavor is that of carbonised meat proteins & fats - which are remarkably indistiguishable from each other, no matter their original source.

Still have a "Smokey Joe" (small Weber kettle) but never bother with it anymore unless going on a road trip to a park.

Kwiky note to whomever said they use a brass brush to clean the grill - BAD idea.
Those little bristles flake off and end up lodged in your next meal sometimes.
Very small but can seriously iritate the stomach and intestinal linings.
Far better to use balled up aluminum foil after scraping off most of the char with the metal blade that comes on said brass brush.
You can put your anti-corrosion oil (Anonymouse uses butter) right on the aluminium foil as you scrub.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-20-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
LAVA ROCKS
The key to flavor success, using a gas grill, it to cover the little "tents" over the burners with those red "lava rocks".
They absorb the juices from previous sessions and add back enough flavor in the next one to completely make you forget why you ever thought using a charcoal grill was better.
Chicken, pork, fish, beef - doesn't really matter what you cooked last time.
The "carryover" flavor is that of carbonised meat proteins & fats - which are remarkably indistiguishable from each other, no matter their original source.

Still have a "Smokey Joe" (small Weber kettle) but never bother with it anymore unless going on a road trip to a park.

Kwiky note to whomever said they use a brass brush to clean the grill - BAD idea.
Those little bristles flake off and end up lodged in your next meal sometimes.
Very small but can seriously iritate the stomach and intestinal linings.
Far better to use balled up aluminum foil after scraping off most of the char with the metal blade that comes on said brass brush.
You can put your anti-corrosion oil (Anonymouse uses butter) right on the aluminium foil as you scrub.
And here I got all excited as I read this post, thinking that Anonymouse hadn't referred to Anonymouse anywhere in the post. Then........there it is.......at the very end.

I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football.....DENIED.......again !!!!!!

PjShorthorn
Old 03-21-2019, 04:54 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
And here I got all excited as I read this post, thinking that Anonymouse hadn't referred to Anonymouse anywhere in the post. Then........there it is.......at the very end.

I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football.....DENIED.......again !!!!!!

PjShorthorn
He can't help it.........A..Mouse loves himself while everyone else hates his STUPID green post.....I stopped reading them a long time ago.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
He can't help it.........A..Mouse loves himself while everyone else hates his STUPID green post.....I stopped reading them a long time ago.
So if I start posting in green, that means you won't respond to my posts either ?

PjGreenhorn
Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
So if I start posting in green, that means you won't respond to my posts either ?

PjGreenhorn
I actually stop that a while ago....errr there I go....errr...got to stop post to Kevin....oh there I go again . . .
Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
I actually stop that a while ago....errr there I go....errr...got to stop post to Kevin....oh there I go again . . .
So you just confirmed what everyone already thought....not worth reading ........

You do realize that anyone can read your message if they hit the quote button and then respond to your post.......LMAO !!!!!!!!

PjShorthorn
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Wallhanger

It may go without saying, but a probe thermometer is a must if you are not sure when something is done to your liking. I have several, but like this one the best:

https://buythermopro.com/product/the...t-thermometer/

One probe clipped to the grate to monitor pit temp and the other in the food. No need to look or wonder what's going on inside.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
It may go without saying, but a probe thermometer is a must if you are not sure when something is done to your liking. I have several, but like this one the best:

https://buythermopro.com/product/the...t-thermometer/

One probe clipped to the grate to monitor pit temp and the other in the food. No need to look or wonder what's going on inside.
I second the thermopro TP20. I also have the TP-08 and their instant read thermometer. If you buy them from amazon and register them on their site you get an extended 3 yr warranty on the unit. The probes are lifetime replacement. I don't think there is another unit out there that gives a lifetime warranty on probes. My thermoworks smoke ($100 unit) went through a probe so the company sent me a 1 time replacement. The replacement broke 3 months later so I haven't used it since. My sub $30 Thermopro units work as well and have better range on the wireless.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:53 AM
Keeper

Default Weber Performer

Years ago I purchased a very high end gas grill that cost a lot. Within 3 years I had to start replacing all kinds of parts which was very disappointing. Then I came across what I think was the first Weber Performer and since I prefer charcoal I purchased one. The originals are a bit different than the newer models, it has a stainless steel top and uses a 5 pound propane tank. Also I think the charcoal storage basket is better protected from the elements.

Believe I've had this grill well over 20 years and have never covered it even in the winter. I live on a canal and the spiders are huge and when I use to cover the old grill the spiders just loved getting in there. In addition to the top being stainless steel I think the cart is aluminum, never rusts. Maintenance on this thing is great, I did some touch up painting on the cart due to a little bit of fading from the sun. Replaced the grills a few times, painted the small propane tank once and have it inspected as required.

About 5 years ago I noticed a chip in the kettle and a bit of rust and was really worried that I might not be able to order a new kettle that fit. Called Weber and they were great, the Rep said they have replacement kettles that fit perfectly. Think is was something like $100 to make this thing like new.

What I really like is using the propane to start the charcoal, no charcoal lighter fluid. Stack up the charcoal, turn on the propane for 5 minutes or so and turn it off. Takes about 25 to 30 minutes and ready to BBQ on charcoal that doesn't have a hint of lighter fluid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	308582  
Old 03-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscs View Post
Years ago I purchased a very high end gas grill that cost a lot. Within 3 years I had to start replacing all kinds of parts which was very disappointing. Then I came across what I think was the first Weber Performer and since I prefer charcoal I purchased one. The originals are a bit different than the newer models, it has a stainless steel top and uses a 5 pound propane tank. Also I think the charcoal storage basket is better protected from the elements.

Believe I've had this grill well over 20 years and have never covered it even in the winter. I live on a canal and the spiders are huge and when I use to cover the old grill the spiders just loved getting in there. In addition to the top being stainless steel I think the cart is aluminum, never rusts. Maintenance on this thing is great, I did some touch up painting on the cart due to a little bit of fading from the sun. Replaced the grills a few times, painted the small propane tank once and have it inspected as required.

About 5 years ago I noticed a chip in the kettle and a bit of rust and was really worried that I might not be able to order a new kettle that fit. Called Weber and they were great, the Rep said they have replacement kettles that fit perfectly. Think is was something like $100 to make this thing like new.

What I really like is using the propane to start the charcoal, no charcoal lighter fluid. Stack up the charcoal, turn on the propane for 5 minutes or so and turn it off. Takes about 25 to 30 minutes and ready to BBQ on charcoal that doesn't have a hint of lighter fluid.
That’s a great way to start your charcoal, but for those who don’t have that feature a electric starter for about 12 minutes is the way to go and can usually be purchased for about $10....see here, many to choose from....
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=electrica...l_7xyokpgei5_e