Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Build your own spinners? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-05-2022, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

Default Build your own spinners?

I see that some folks build their own large spinner baits to save some cash. Care to share any recipes on how to build and where to get components such as brass beads and such?

I've never fished any large spin baits for pike. Always spoons and crankbaits and want to give it a try this year. I tie flies for lots of things, even tie up deer hair frogs so I have plenty of fur and feathers around.

I'd be interested in learning from those with solid experience if you have some to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2022, 04:18 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Trout View Post
I see that some folks build their own large spinner baits to save some cash. Care to share any recipes on how to build and where to get components such as brass beads and such?

I've never fished any large spin baits for pike. Always spoons and crankbaits and want to give it a try this year. I tie flies for lots of things, even tie up deer hair frogs so I have plenty of fur and feathers around.

I'd be interested in learning from those with solid experience if you have some to share.
Jann’s Netcraft and Lure Parts Online is where I get my spinner rig materials.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:24 PM
Wallhanger

I build my own spinners, I really enjoy it during the winter months. I buy blades and components from Cabelas and from JB Lures. I use 12 lb Seaguar fluorocarbon leader, it seems to hold up better with Northerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2022, 05:14 PM
Keeper

Build lots of my own flashabou and marabou tail spinners for Muskies. Caught plenty pike on them too.

Lure Parts Online is a great resource. Not sure how many you need but I doubt I’ve saved any money! Just end up tinkering with new things and buying tons of components. You need a few tools to get into it but not bad.

Pm me if you need specifics
Old 01-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBo View Post
Build lots of my own flashabou and marabou tail spinners for Muskies. Caught plenty pike on them too.

Lure Parts Online is a great resource. Not sure how many you need but I doubt I’ve saved any money! Just end up tinkering with new things and buying tons of components. You need a few tools to get into it but not bad.

Pm me if you need specifics
Thanks, I will!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Wallhanger

Looks like willow blades are tough to find above about a size 7.

Someone told me that if I am using a large blade, to make sure that I use as heavy a body as possible, as it will be difficult to keep it at depth. Most of the pike I fish for are in 12' of water or so.

I'm thinking about buying some hammered bronze size 7 willow leaf spinners, stacking varied size bronze beads (I can find up to 5/16"), and following it with a #1 treble gamagatsu (sp?) treble. I need to figure out a way to put a little bit of an extension on the back end so that I can tie either some lengthy maribou / hair or similar up on the body, and hang the hook more towards the very end, almost like a stinger.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:49 PM
Keeper

fond memories of building spinner rigs in my grampa's garage before going to canada.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:47 PM
Keeper

I also make my own walleye rigs
I buy components through luremaking, cabelas and bass pro.
I look for sales on blades and hooks and stock up but as others have mentioned I am not sure I save a ton of money but it's a great job in the off months and I do like that I can tweak the setup based on experience (blade colours, hook size and type)
Not self promoting but I did a video on my technique and talk a little about components etc in this post I did and it has a video

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/how-to-tie-your-own-worm-harnesses

Andrew
Old 01-07-2022, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I make/have made various spinner rigs for a long time. My largest muskie was taken on a guinea feathered rig. I prefer a single hook, trebles really are not required, just another of the old traditions which folks think they need.

Bill
Old 01-16-2022, 04:50 PM
Minnow

Default Making Spinner Baits

Have a look here:

http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/howtotie.html

Regards,

Snowball