Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What Were Your Go-To Baits and Techniques in Canada 2021? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-06-2022, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo-NC View Post
Geez, don't y'all like to explore and try new stuff? Sure, we could use a jig and a minnow/leech/crawler and go to a good spot and catch fish all day, but what fun is that? I get bored. If we're on fish, we catch a bunch and then it is the perfect time to explore new locations and techniques. I'll stick with the tried-and-true techniques when the fishing gets tough, but when there is a good bite on I like to try new techniques that just might get the bigger or trophy fish.

One of our goals each year is to catch fish using a new technique or by using something in the tackle box might be a great marketing product but has never previously caught a fish, and then catch a fish on it. One of our biggest pike last year was caught on a Ned-rig. How cool is that?

We used various jig combinations, we tested all colors of our jigging raps, used drop-shot rigs, Ned-rigs, we ripped lipless crankbaits, used 3-way swivel rigs, tried various spinner rig combinations including slow death hooks and floating jigs, and every other variation we could think of to try to catch fish. Sure, we wouldn't catch as many fish using the "non-traditional" techniques, but it was really fun when we did. The three I mentioned in the post above will catch walleyes in even the toughest conditions, but the others are just plain fun.
Totally understand what your saying.Dabble lots when on my own and some of my guests will also but guide days I need to produce fish and there is nothing like a minnow day in day out.I get to experiment all season including ice fishing season.Main objective is to catch fish and use what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Geez Gord did you wake up on the the wrong side of the bed.In my option live bait is the best method of catching a ton of fish..ill dabble with artificial baits on my own or after getting tired of catching a bunch of fish.Have always had a slowdown in catch rate when i switch over.Ill never leave the dock without minnows when i have guide days.My guests expect live bait and can use artificial if they choose to but always use up the 10 dozen minnows i bring along first.Not sure what you mean by a scam.
Yes, scam was probably an incorrect term. A scam implies no results, and yes you can catch fish with live bait.....it's just sooooooo boring. I like some of the suggestions thus far on different alternatives. Get off the crack cocaine of live minnows John .....get back to the fun of fishing! It's not about numbers, it's the challenge and strategy.

I think Mojo NC has the right approach.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
Yes, scam was probably an incorrect term. A scam implies no results, and yes you can catch fish with live bait.....it's just sooooooo boring. I like some of the suggestions thus far on different alternatives. Get off the crack cocaine of live minnows John .....get back to the fun of fishing! It's not about numbers, it's the challenge and strategy.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Quote:
Geez Gord did you wake up on the the wrong side of the bed.In my option live bait is the best method of catching a ton of fish..ill dabble with artificial baits on my own or after getting tired of catching a bunch of fish.Have always had a slowdown in catch rate when i switch over.Ill never leave the dock without minnows when i have guide days.My guests expect live bait and can use artificial if they choose to but always use up the 10 dozen minnows i bring along first.Not sure what you mean by a scam.
Yes, scam was probably an incorrect term. A scam implies no results, and yes you can catch fish with live bait.....it's just sooooooo boring. I like some of the suggestions thus far on different alternatives. Get off the crack cocaine of live minnows John [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif[/IMG].....get back to the fun of fishing! It's not about numbers, it's the challenge and strategy.

I think Mojo NC has the right approach. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/IMG]
I'll bring my guests over to you for a prep talk before I take them out.lol.
100 plus fish a day to some people is a blast if they only fish one week a year.Some days even with minnows isn't very productive and then you hear a lot of moaning and groaning.I do have guests that use artificial and that's totally up to them.I myself use artificial quite a bit.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:25 AM
Slot Fish

I use homemade spinner rigs 99% of the time. No rhyme or reason for the colors and always with a barbless single hook.Usually backtrolling from anywhere in 3 ft. of water to 25 ft. of water depths , depending on what month it is. Rarely use live minnows because they aren't overly convenient for me to obtain but I do believe they put more fish in the boat.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:25 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketripper View Post
I use homemade spinner rigs 99% of the time. No rhyme or reason for the colors and always with a barbless single hook.Usually backtrolling from anywhere in 3 ft. of water to 25 ft. of water depths , depending on what month it is. Rarely use live minnows because they aren't overly convenient for me to obtain but I do believe they put more fish in the boat.
I use spinners quite often as well but this past year i fished a lot with Jigging Raps in different sizes and colors. I found that most every type of fish will bite on them but they do get hung up easily.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I think I make my fishing partners a little crazy as I change lures, colors, etc. all day long just to try something different and learn. Some of my buddies put on one lure and fish it the whole trip. Somewhere I have a picture of my scattered used plastics from just one day on the water.

Fishing with different partners is a learning experience. We all fish a little differently. My wife picks out her own colors or lures and will invariably kick my butt.....

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-06-2022, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Found it. From when I was still using a flasher and rental boat. No idea of the year. Mid to late 1990's?

This was my early years tinkering with trolling plastics on spinner rigs. There appears to be a leech laying there, too. Today I and many others carry a ton of plastics. Every trip I have to sort out what is making the trip and what is not from a large tub of plastics in the basement.

The "stuff" I never thought would work.... does.

Pooch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Early days.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	331140  

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 01-06-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll bring my guests over to you for a prep talk before I take them out.lol.
100 plus fish a day to some people is a blast if they only fish one week a year.Some days even with minnows isn't very productive and then you hear a lot of moaning and groaning.I do have guests that use artificial and that's totally up to them.I myself use artificial quite a bit.
You might be too addicted to bait for me to help you. Perhaps a nine step program to get you off the free minnows you've been mainlining all these years?
Old 01-06-2022, 12:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:

I go to Canada to catch fish and have fun.
If I wanted to have a challenge and strategy session I'd fish the lake around home.