Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Motor storage - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 01-17-2022, 05:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye571 View Post
Thanks for the history lesson, but you didnt answer the question?
No, he's more interested in blowing his own horn.
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2022, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

If winterized properly, I would wait till you take it out of storage for startup. Can not see where turning it over would help anything.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:57 AM
Keeper

if it is a 4 stroke i could see turning it over if it was to sit a few years. Then only reason would be to relieve valve spring tension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2022, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky View Post
If winterized properly, I would wait till you take it out of storage for startup. Can not see where turning it over would help anything.
The motor did not get fogged that is why I am thinking to turn it over occasionally.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

I had a 135 Opti on my 1895 storm years ago. I never fogged the engine. All I did was run sea foam through it for 5 to 10 minutes and shut it down until spring. I never had any issues while I had this rig for 8 years.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Walleye 571 -
Of course I answered the question.
I was using the example of other engines not being turned over for many months, and had no problems at all when finally started.

If you think you really have an issue - then, in the fall, remove all the spark plugs and squirt oil into each of the cylinders and then turn the engine over two or three times to spread the oil over the cylinder walls and on the sides of the pistons.

Then, leave it alone for the next months or years, or centuries and the engine will be fine.

Nice to use full synthetic oil for this chore that does not oxidize and turn to goo over time.

When you put the spark plugs back in after adding oil to each cylinder, just put each plug in a couple of turns. If needed write a note to your self to point to the fact that the plugs have not been fully installed. Then, in the spring, remove the plugs and spin the engine over for 10-20 seconds to blow out any residual oil from each cylinder. You do not want to have a hydraulic lock on the first engine turn over that could damage something from a continued excess amount of oil in each cylinder due to the previous oil injection into each cylinder.

Best wishes.

Last edited by REW; 02-09-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:09 PM
Wallhanger

30 years of storing boats regular covered storage, Ive never turned it over mid winter...never been a problem. down here I dont really winterize anymore. I drain water out real well and use them all winter or atleast by march or so.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Any time that an engine is going to be stored for months or years on end, pull all of the plugs and put a 1/2 cup of synthetic oil into each spark plug hole and turn the engine over two or three times to distribute the oil.

Then, put the plugs in a couple of turns and hang a note on the engine that before running, "Remove the plugs, spin the engine over for 30 seconds to blow out all excess oil and replace the plugs, torquing them properly"

Leave the motor alone for the next 50 years and you should be just fine to start it 51 years from today.

Best wishes.