Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Truck - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Wallhanger

Fishin 10, congrats on the new pickup. I bought pretty much the same one as yours in June. Supercrew XLT, 4X4, 3.55 locker and a 36 gal tank in blue jeans color. I test drove the coyote V8, the 3.5 and the 2.7. Finally decided on the 2.7 as my requirements at my stage of life are to be able to tow my 1775 Lund Impact and my utility trailer and to get decent mileage around town. I also wanted plenty of extra towing power in case I got a bigger boat. So far I've made two trips up to lake Vermilion this Summer and we're thinking about a trip to NC to see the grandkids around Thanksgiving. So far, for such a small displacement engine it's very impressive and never leaves you wanting for more. The only issue that I've had is that I've been a Chevy truck guy my entire life and now I'll never hear the end of it from my buddies.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
SJ,
I appreciate your desire for perfection in mileage calculation.

But, to what end?

The mileage is what the mileage is.

If the gas tank is empty, add gas so that you can go again.

It makes 0 difference to the truck or to the load what the number is that is displayed or calculated with respect to MPG.

But, as the saying goes, If you have the time and it makes you happy - go for it.

I do glance at the calculated computer generated mpg when filling my fuel tanks, but primarily to verify that nothing has seriously changed on the vehicle. I full well know - that if there is an obvious change of several mpg on a trip - it does signal a problem that will need investigation.

Other than that - enjoy the ride.

If one can afford the price of a new truck these days, then one would assume that one can afford the price of the fuel that is ingested by the beast at it travels the roads of the world.

As always, best wishes and enjoy the ride.
Not trying to derail this thread, just provide some insight into my own findings after having owned a few F150s. Sure, you could consider it being a perfectionist. But, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a simple computer reading for a $40,000-$60,000 truck to be accurate. Being that it takes one, maybe two minutes to do isn’t exactly investing a lot of time into it. Pjshorthorn noticed the mpg difference as I’m sure other F150 others have and I thought it might be useful information to put out there.

I would certainly hope that anyone buying one of these trucks knows what they are getting into. I’m sure the OP does and I’m honestly interested in seeing what MPG he gets towing a boat with a 2.7 and have been looking for what the 3.5 is getting when towing a boat. As that is applicable to me, its nice to know due to estimating range for trips and planning gas station stops. Most of the postings out there are with utility/enclosed trailers with more drag.
9.9 EFI Tiller
Helix 9 MSI G4N
Helix 7 MDI G3N
Old 10-05-2020, 05:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC305 View Post
Not trying to derail this thread, just provide some insight into my own findings after having owned a few F150s. Sure, you could consider it being a perfectionist. But, I don稚 think it痴 too much to ask for a simple computer reading for a $40,000-$60,000 truck to be accurate. Being that it takes one, maybe two minutes to do isn稚 exactly investing a lot of time into it. Pjshorthorn noticed the mpg difference as I知 sure other F150 others have and I thought it might be useful information to put out there.

I would certainly hope that anyone buying one of these trucks knows what they are getting into. I知 sure the OP does and I知 honestly interested in seeing what MPG he gets towing a boat with a 2.7 and have been looking for what the 3.5 is getting when towing a boat. As that is applicable to me, its nice to know due to estimating range for trips and planning gas station stops. Most of the postings out there are with utility/enclosed trailers with more drag.
I値l be taking another trip north ( 700 miles ) this fall with a full load in the truck, but not towing anything. I値l be going through the hilly sections of GA, TN and KY. I won稚 get to flat land until I get north of Cincinnati, so I値l be interested to see how this trip compares to my trip in June regarding the mpg and whether I値l still make it on one tank of gas.

I like figuring this kinda stuff out too I値l make sure to report back on what I find out.

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 05:30 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks All for the replies. Those sure are some sweet looking rides. As I mentioned before I did my research, along with what options I wanted. I'm sure the Ford dealers and others in my area got tired of me wandering around their dealer ships. The 3.5 ECO,36 gal tank, up graded interior and the max tow package were a thought, then I realized my pocket book would not support those options. In 2018 Golden Eagle and I traveled to Red Lake On in his new XLT 3.5 ECO SuperCrew. I was amazed at the quiet power and the fuel mileage that we got. I had a 2003 150 XLT Reg cab short bed with a 4.6, which was a little HotRod, there is no comparison between the two, the 2.7 hands down. My curiosity about the fuel mileage pulling my boat stems from what I got from my 2014 Dodge Durango 3.6 with the tow package. Due to the height of the windshield of my boat catching the wind,I was only getting only 12-14 mpg and in 6th & 7th gear most of the time north of Atlanta. There are 2 really serious long 7% pulls on Tn 111 to deal with. As I mentioned before I will be posting real world trip mpg after my trip.
Fishin
Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
SJ,
I appreciate your desire for perfection in mileage calculation.

But, to what end?

The mileage is what the mileage is.

If the gas tank is empty, add gas so that you can go again.

It makes 0 difference to the truck or to the load what the number is that is displayed or calculated with respect to MPG.

But, as the saying goes, If you have the time and it makes you happy - go for it.

I do glance at the calculated computer generated mpg when filling my fuel tanks, but primarily to verify that nothing has seriously changed on the vehicle. I full well know - that if there is an obvious change of several mpg on a trip - it does signal a problem that will need investigation.

Other than that - enjoy the ride.

If one can afford the price of a new truck these days, then one would assume that one can afford the price of the fuel that is ingested by the beast at it travels the roads of the world.

As always, best wishes and enjoy the ride.
Yea but without knowing what it is we have nothing to complain about now do we? Now having said that I am curious to learn what my mileage is towing this beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	321774  
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 10-05-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
I’ll be taking another trip north ( 700 miles ) this fall with a full load in the truck, but not towing anything. I’ll be going through the hilly sections of GA, TN and KY. I won’t get to flat land until I get north of Cincinnati, so I’ll be interested to see how this trip compares to my trip in June regarding the mpg and whether I’ll still make it on one tank of gas.

I like figuring this kinda stuff out too I’ll make sure to report back on what I find out.

PjShorthorn
PJ, I have a dear friend who lives in Wasaga Beach On, drove his 2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 2.7 with the 36 gal tank from there to Knoxville before he filled up.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
PJ, I have a dear friend who lives in Wasaga Beach On, drove his 2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 2.7 with the 36 gal tank from there to Knoxville before he filled up.
Now, that is dang impressive. His pull was about 100 miles further than mine will be. I知 thinking I値l tuck in behind the semi trucks and draft a bit once I get to the flat land in Ohio....LOL.

PjShorthorn
Old 10-05-2020, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Now, that is dang impressive. His pull was about 100 miles further than mine will be. I知 thinking I値l tuck in behind the semi trucks and draft a bit once I get to the flat land in Ohio....LOL.

PjShorthorn
The nice thing about the 36 gal tank is when you go into NW Ontario, you top off at International Fall Mn, go to you destination and return back into the states before you fill up again.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
now, that is dang impressive. His pull was about 100 miles further than mine will be. I知 thinking i値l tuck in behind the semi trucks and draft a bit once i get to the flat land in ohio....lol.

Pjshorthorn
hrg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5b3489227b77847b78a3263b-large (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	321798  
Old 10-06-2020, 02:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post