Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
SOLIX 12 CHIRP Mega SI+ G2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Slot Fish

Question SOLIX 12 CHIRP Mega SI+ G2

I bought a new Lund in 2018 and had the dealer install a Humminbird SOLIX 12 Chirp Mega SI GPS which was the newest at the time. With my free time due to COVID-19, I was researching the new models that supposedly have better resolution than mine (the SI+). I thought maybe I could upgrade mine with a new transducer but of course I can't. I discovered my locator that is 1 1/2 years old is discontinued. That is frustrating enough but while talking to support I asked about the WiFi capability that is listed in the specs on the SI+ G2 unit and was informed that capability is coming later. Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen or have any other info with this issue? I was thinking of selling mine to upgrade but maybe its too early. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
I bought a new Lund in 2018 and had the dealer install a Humminbird SOLIX 12 Chirp Mega SI GPS which was the newest at the time. With my free time due to COVID-19, I was researching the new models that supposedly have better resolution than mine (the SI+). I thought maybe I could upgrade mine with a new transducer but of course I can't. I discovered my locator that is 1 1/2 years old is discontinued. That is frustrating enough but while talking to support I asked about the WiFi capability that is listed in the specs on the SI+ G2 unit and was informed that capability is coming later. Does anyone know when that is supposed to happen or have any other info with this issue? I was thinking of selling mine to upgrade but maybe its too early. Any thoughts?

Thanks

No reason to play the upgrade game. Unless you were going to a garmin livescope or something totally different.
Mega is nice to look at. Mega+ adds a little more range and detail but don’t buy in to the upgrade. It isn’t going to catch you more fish. Maybe add 360
Mega then you might.

Don’t fall for the marketing.
BT terrova link
Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post

Thanks

I am in the same situation (2018 Lund, identical Solix’s x 2).

I haven’t had the inclination to think about upgrading. SI seems clear enough for me.

When you say “your locator”, I am assuming you are referring to your Solix control head. Obsolescence is a ***** for sure. I realized the additions of 360 and Mega in the trolling motor transducer were coming, but felt like I was doing the best I could when I shopped for the gear.

I am not sure what a Wifi capability would bring, but look forward to it for sure. My plan was to upgrade at the 7 year mark or when a big revolutionary technology hits.

Could you imagine a fish identifier connected to a deep (or shallow) scanner, connected to your trolling or main motor, connected to your downrigger auto-following the contour? Scary stuff right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 07:01 PM
Wallhanger

This is the latest update. It looks to me like it is available in G2 now
Update description: https://www.humminbird.com/support/s...Series-v-3-640
Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Keeper

I just bought a 15 (G2) in February that has it.

Edited to add: I’m not sure what it (WIFI) really does other than allow cordless updating. But I really haven’t been screwing around with it much.

Last edited by Eyecatcher23; 03-26-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

The update reads-- SOLIX WiFi Tool | NAVIONICS PLOTTER SYNCSupport (SOLIX G2)
Transfer routes & markers - Transfer waypoints and routes between your Humminbird card and Navionics mobile app. Active app subscription is required.
Update charts - Update charts on your Navionics SD card to get the most current data via Plotter Sync. Active subscriptions and matching regions are required on both the Navionics card and the app.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Slot Fish

Interesting. I just talked to Humminbird support and was told later at some point

Tags
humminbird , mega imaging , solix