Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Laws in South Dakota on Water Transport - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1972 View Post
Do we really need another law for common sense? If I transport my fish from lake to a place to clean them boat gets drained after fish gets pulled out. They better have a workable cleaning station at each dock then also if they are going to enforce this. They need to have check points on hi ways when boats are entering or leaving the state. In nd we have this same law I live 10 miles from a handful of good walleye fishing but no cleaning stations at any of these. I keep my fish in livewells till I get home. Was checked by a warden one day said he could right me up for this infraction I said go ahead will see you in court. How I transport my fish in which container is my business. Its called illegal search in nd I know of several of these infractions being challenged and beaten here by a good lawyer. Sometimes it's not about the money but principle.
Maybe launching the boat they could check my livewells but leaving and going to my home to clean my fish I think they can KMA. My boat has never been off the Missouri and probably never will. Also shouldn't state enforce federal laws?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Wallhanger

Here in Wi I just take my fish out of the livewell and put them on ice in a cooler. At least for me it seems like it is easier to filet fish when the meat is colder. I just leave my bait in the minnow bucket all the time. The bait bucket is filled with tap water. Wisconsin has no transport lake water off the lake as well. I thought if it was tap water in a minnow bucket with no lake water you could transport it from the lake. I think if you put the minnows in lake water and then back into your tap water you would defeat the purpose. The minnows could contaminate your truck minnow bucket doing that. Same with a pull in the lake bucket. I could be wrong on some of these rules however.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBRASKA JOHN View Post
Maybe launching the boat they could check my livewells but leaving and going to my home to clean my fish I think they can KMA. My boat has never been off the Missouri and probably never will. Also shouldn't state enforce federal laws?

You can take that position..... but at best it will earn you a handful of citations or more likely a temporary gift of a matching set of metal bracelets.

SDCL 41-15-6. Inspection and counting of birds, animals, and fish to be permitted by person in possession--Stopping of motor vehicle or other conveyance for inspection. Any person who possesses any game bird, animal, or fish shall, upon the request of any person authorized to enforce the game and fish laws of the state, permit the inspection and count of the birds, animals, or fish. Any motor vehicle, pickup camper, camper, or any conveyance attached thereto, may be stopped for such an inspection and count by any uniformed law enforcement officer.

These laws are a small price to pay to protect what we have. Go spend some time on a body of water overrun with Asian Carp (or "Invasive carp" in PC Minnesota).. Would you want your favorite fishing hole to look like that?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBRASKA JOHN View Post
I like the idea of checking boat before they enter the water but leaving unless you are going to use hot water with some type of clorine this law is pretty much useless. There is some water in the bottom of a boat that never leaves. I fish oahe in summer for 30 plus days when I come to sd I use 3 gals of chorion to clean my boat. We have lots of duck hunters here from everywhere in the east they need to be checked also but I bet there are few of them that are certified. I have never seen a sticker on a duck boat here.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Minnow

My guess is that law will only last until someone chooses to go to court. It is plainly unconstitutional search. Just like in Minnesota for years they could "no knock" enter fish houses on the ice. Not any more.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

Are you sure it's "plainly unconstitutional"?
Old 03-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

I can see the terminology "immediately adjacent" will be an area contention. What determines a fish cleaning facility being "immediately adjacent" to the ramp? Cow Creek on Oahe would fit that that wording, but what about Bush's landing? I would think that common sense would be yes but who knows.

From the GFP release:
"(they cannot load at one ramp and drive 10 miles to get to a cleaning station)."

There will certainly be a learning curve. I feel for the wardens. Can you imagine trying to prove that the bait water is NOT lake water?

There's sure to be some ruffled feathers, but in the end we will adapt and agree that the rule is in the best interest of the fisheries.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecchi View Post
My guess is that law will only last until someone chooses to go to court. It is plainly unconstitutional search. Just like in Minnesota for years they could "no knock" enter fish houses on the ice. Not any more.
It has been challenged in court.. numerous times... and it has been upheld. There is a big difference between a semi-permanent fish house and an extremely mobile vehicle.

Besides, it's South Dakota, not Minnesota. South Dakota judges and lawmakers haven't completely lost their minds.....yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1972 View Post
I like the idea of checking boat before they enter the water but leaving unless you are going to use hot water with some type of clorine this law is pretty much useless. There is some water in the bottom of a boat that never leaves. I fish oahe in summer for 30 plus days when I come to sd I use 3 gals of chorion to clean my boat. We have lots of duck hunters here from everywhere in the east they need to be checked also but I bet there are few of them that are certified. I have never seen a sticker on a duck boat here.
That's why the law says the plugs must be pulled and the livewells open. It doesn't say the boat has to be completely clear of all water as that would be almost impossible. All the law is asking is that people make a reasonable effort to prevent the spread of AIS.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Slot Fish

So if we're not going to get rid of all the water this law again is pointless. Big loop hole there and I never drive with my lids of my coolers or hatches open does anyone else? We better set up drying stations for migratory bird starting with Pelicans and commorants. They transport fish and freshwater shrimp from lake to lake.