Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Laws in South Dakota on Water Transport - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

Default New Laws in South Dakota on Water Transport

South Dakota has adopted new laws against transporting lake or stream water. http://gfp.sd.gov/wildlife/nuisance/...c/default.aspx You are no longer allowed to transport lake or stream water. You must empty your livewells and bait buckets of water when leaving boat launch. If you plan on using your bait fish more than one day, you might want to get some aquarium water treatment drops so you can use tap water in case its needed. Most cleaning stations use well water, I believe, so you could fill up your bait buckets there. But if water temps vary between lake water and portable water, you're most likely going to end up with dead bait fish.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Tap-Water-...tment+aquarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

I planned on bringing a couple gallon jugs of water and leave the bait fish in the bait well, empty it and refill with a couple gallons from the jugs. Throw in some ice on temps above 70. We have some of those drops already for my daughters pets. Pretty easy to use.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Wallhanger

Typically you could fill jugs or a bucket at fish cleaning station. This way water would be cold.

I don't know how a person could leave minnows in bait well and not be questioned by the DNR. This has me wondering. It is my understanding that bait well drain valves must be left open. This is how it was explained to me. I am wondering about this as I usually leave minnows in bait well and leave aerator running to keep them a live and add well water from camp ground to keep temps where they should be.

This could be some good laws but I sure hope that I don't have to keep minnows in a 5 gallon bucket and buy a bubbler.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Slot Fish

The way I understand it you can't transport your boat with any kind of water in it?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Buck View Post
The way I understand it you can't transport your boat with any kind of water in it?
That's how it was explained to me.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
I planned on bringing a couple gallon jugs of water and leave the bait fish in the bait well, empty it and refill with a couple gallons from the jugs. Throw in some ice on temps above 70. We have some of those drops already for my daughters pets. Pretty easy to use.

Don't think that will fly, water in baitwell/livewell is water and proof would be tough
Old 03-16-2015, 04:30 PM
Keeper

Thumbs down

Been in play in MN a few years now, not fun. I know a few guys who have cut off their livewells and insulated them and just fill them with ice for fish transport. Ive switched to the old troll behind minnow bucket and a five gallon pail in the back of the pickup for bait transport
Old 03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Wallhanger

It's not all that big of a deal and I thought it would be as well. I'm not going to get rid of my livewell, but now I just use it in tournaments. I bring a cooler and always just put my fish on ice immediately and just dump my minnows on shore after fishing. It's not worth the hassle to try to save the bait as far as I'm concerned. The cost of bait in the big picture is just a drop in the bucket and if it helps stop the spread of invasive species, I'm all for it.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Wallhanger

Thats correct. It states bait or fish have to be transported "In a container (not a part of the boat), that is filled with domestic water (tap water, well water, bottled water, ice)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Buck View Post
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Keeper

I fish in MN, IA and SD on a regular basis, I got sick of trying to remember what I could do where so a couple years ago I just started playing by the strictest rules (MN) and doing it in every state, I figured sooner on later they would all have a no water transport rule which is coming true. I took an old cooler and bought one of the frabill aerator kits, runs off 12v or 110v. I fill it with well water and take along a few extra 2 liter bottles, some frozen if its real warm and it works great. At the end of the day the minnows go in cooler, boat gets drained. I have minnows in the cooler right now from this weekend waiting for the next trip.