Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
terrova filling full of water - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Default terrova filling full of water

i was on table rock last week and i noticed that my terrova would have water pouring out of the head when stowed and boat on plane. i mean a lot of water!! has anyone experienced this? it's under warranty but can't get it into shop before i go to pool 4 on wednesday. the one warranty repair center here has there man on vacation. think it'll make it one more day of fishing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Check for fishing line behind the prop, and also if the bolts holding the bottom end together are tight. Running longer certainly isn't going to help. I'd turn it upside down so all the water will drain.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Keeper

will check that. thanks. i'm hearing the us2 may also have a leaking problems also. just need it to hold up for a day at redwing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Keeper

The motor is leaking. Minkota will fix it. Hopefully no damage to electronics or motor. Mine was resealed at a service ctr.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland View Post
The motor is leaking. Minkota will fix it. Hopefully no damage to electronics or motor. Mine was resealed at a service ctr.
looks as if it's leaking at the seams in the head unit. the question now is do i push for a whole new head unit. that has to affect the life of the motor being submerged in water like that.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Do you mean the seams of the lower unit electric motor? The top head doesn't have any water tight seams. I've repaired a couple motors that got water in them. They sell a kit with seals, bushes and bearings, so other than the armature and magnets, everything is pretty much new.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Keeper

yes the lower unit seams are leaking
Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default leaker

My Terrova has taken on water twice. The repair station said when they get a leaker it is generally motors with the transducer in them. He showed me a few he had taken apart and the small yellow o-ring under the transducer was weather checked and brittle. Probably does not help you now because it takes a security torques driver to remove that transducer.
Good Luck
Old 03-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

If you have water getting in the motor, the motor is/will be shot - so there's not much to risk when it comes to trying to use it again.

The exposure to air during the week will cause the motor to corrode and not work anymore from the moment you put it in the water next week. You can sometimes get through the weekend, but not 2 weekends, that's been my experience.

Focus on your warranty, don't do anything that might prevent a valid warranty claim, this one is going to be expensive - you don't want to pay your own bill on this one.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

You could pedal it and buy a motor guide motor if you wish?

Be safe